PDA

View Full Version : Questions

mitchntx
08-07-2006, 08:40 AM
I realize everyone got back late. So, I'll throw out a few questions that I have concerning this weekend ...

1) How did the safety broadcast work out?

2) How productive was the WnM meeting Saturday night?

3) What were "the track" issues that caused the schedule to get FUBARed?

4) Why all the carnage?

BSharp
08-07-2006, 08:48 AM
I am guessing this is the answer to question #3.
http://www.aicmctexas.com/gallery/v/TWS+-+Rollover/

mitchntx
08-07-2006, 08:49 AM
I had heard that things got rolling slow on Saturday before any track time had begun.

Just curious ...

Rob Liebbe
08-07-2006, 08:51 AM
on 3) - Talking with Shannon there was a lot of problems with the track support crews. On Saturday the ambulance was 40 minutes late and when all the crews finally showed up they were slow to get to stations. We had a lot of tows this weekend and the tow truck driver is notoriously SLOW. Shannon seemed to be trying to adjust the schedule accordingly to keep everyone's track time to a maximum. It was a frustrating on our part, but I bet it was REALLY frustrating on her part.

Rob Liebbe
08-07-2006, 08:54 AM
on 3) - Talking with Shannon there was a lot of problems with the track support crews. On Saturday the ambulance was 40 minutes late and when all the crews finally showed up they were slow to get to stations. We had a lot of tows this weekend and the tow truck driver is notoriously SLOW. Shannon seemed to be trying to adjust the schedule accordingly to keep everyone's track time to a maximum. It was a frustrating on our part, but I bet it was REALLY frustrating on her part.

Mike Bell
08-07-2006, 09:17 AM
I didn't attend the WnM meeting. Would also like to hear if anything noteworthy was discussed/decided!

GlennCMC70
08-07-2006, 09:26 AM
NASA did a good job adjusting the schedule as things changed. i think there was 2 roll-overs sunday. Micah and a Formula Mazda. the corner workers were pissed about the late finish sat, and sunday there was trouble a brewing. those guys were not happy. not sure why, just what Jay told me. they did combine run groups as car count changed due to carnage of various types. they even asked us what type of start we wanted once group 8 and 5 were combined. i left happy.

no safety broadcast due to track issues.

meeting @ wings and more? Todd did a good job @ trying to difuse the situation. no one spoke their mind about things they were pissed about mostly due to time, but also there was a feeling of "beating a dead horse" that probably kept alot of mouths shut. you can pollish a turd, but its still a turd.

jeffburch
08-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Heard she (the FM driver) broke a collar bone.
This is all I know.

jb

http://www.texicanracing.com/nasatx/JeffBurch/08_06_TWS%20030.jpg

http://www.texicanracing.com/nasatx/JeffBurch/08_06_TWS%20032.jpg

Racebrat
08-07-2006, 10:11 AM
The FM driver was not a she. His son was also racing in that group and his wife was watching from the grandstands. He was transported with shoulder pain, I haven't yet heard it if was broken or not. He never lost consciosnece (sp?) and was talking and joking around according to Jay.

I know the schedule sucked this weekend and I wanted to thank ya'll for being as understanding as possible and working with us to get things back on track, so to speak, as best we could. I apologize for the roll back driver...Glenn is right he is AWFULLY slow and doesn't really seem to care much about it. I've tried to talk to him about it but was met with so much animosity that I just threw my hands up. Sorry guys, I tried. :(

Thanks for some great racing this weekend! It was fun to watch!

oz98cobra
08-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Heard she (the FM driver) broke a collar bone.
This is all I know.

jb

Glad we like to drive tin tops and not open wheelers! I'm sure they are not the only "grass roots" open wheel class to have this issue, but it seems to me that these FMs have all the speed and handling associated with contemporary open wheel racing, but few of the safety improvements that are now mandatory in any sort of pro open wheel series? (like a "safety cell", or high cockpit sides, etc.).

I've wanted to rent one of these for an hour from the folks at MSRC for ages just for grins and giggles, but I'm not sure it is worth the risk, even for a fun test session on a members day?

AI#97
08-07-2006, 11:16 AM
answer to #4 was HEAT!!!

I missed race 2 because I got WAY overheated in R1 waiting for tech....my shoe melted on the floor board!!!

Marvel blew the motor in R4 on the last lap, Mosty blew a right front tire crossing the start/finish line, Bell and Varner's overheating issues, my car having anti-theft/computer issues and yeah, HEAT was our main enemy this weekend!!!

I think this weekend really threw both points battles in AI and CMC into a blender and hit the frappe button!!!!

David Love AI27
08-07-2006, 12:11 PM
NASA did a good job adjusting the schedule as things changed. i think there was 2 roll-overs sunday. Micah and a Formula Mazda. the corner workers were pissed about the late finish sat, and sunday there was trouble a brewing. those guys were not happy. not sure why, just what Jay told me. they did combine run groups as car count changed due to carnage of various types. they even asked us what type of start we wanted once group 8 and 5 were combined. i left happy.

no safety broadcast due to track issues.

meeting @ wings and more? Todd did a good job @ trying to difuse the situation. no one spoke their mind about things they were pissed about mostly due to time, but also there was a feeling of "beating a dead horse" that probably kept alot of mouths shut. you can pollish a turd, but its still a turd.

Not sure how involved Adrian was in the worker situation but I would like to know if this was a NASATX crew or a TWS crew? I'm not looking to fault anyone just trying to see what can be done to improve. I've talked to the EV crew for years and they are using "strong arm tactics" to prove they have the most "control" over the speedway. NOT KIDDING!! The guy in the rollback has a VERY bad attitude and has stated before that if you push him "he will step back and evaluate the situation for 5 or 10 mins. and get back to you...."

As for WnM... I'm glad you said it first. I try very hard not to fault Todd, However, We did beat a dead horse and no time was left for a hardcore discussion for moving forward... I discussed the issue about scheduling with a NASA official and there is a TOTAL misunderstanding. The issue is how many races are we running not so much when we are running.... anyway, gotta go will continue....

gt40
08-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Not sure how involved Adrian was in the worker situation but I would like to know if this was a NASATX crew or a TWS crew? I'm not looking to fault anyone just trying to see what can be done to improve. I've talked to the EV crew for years and they are using "strong arm tactics" to prove they have the most "control" over the speedway. NOT KIDDING!! The guy in the rollback has a VERY bad attitude and has stated before that if you push him "he will step back and evaluate the situation for 5 or 10 mins. and get back to you...."Can NASA provide their own towing? If not, do they have enough clout to tell TWS to get rid of this asshole or we don't race there any more? (Probably not.)

The day's schedule is chaotic enough without having to deal with an employee with an attitude. There's plenty of flatbed operators who'd love to have a gig like that & get paid regardless of whether they had to pick anyone up or not instead of sitting by a scanner all day and trying to beat the other tow drivers to every wreck that pops up.

gt40
08-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Not sure how involved Adrian was in the worker situation but I would like to know if this was a NASATX crew or a TWS crew? I'm not looking to fault anyone just trying to see what can be done to improve. I've talked to the EV crew for years and they are using "strong arm tactics" to prove they have the most "control" over the speedway. NOT KIDDING!! The guy in the rollback has a VERY bad attitude and has stated before that if you push him "he will step back and evaluate the situation for 5 or 10 mins. and get back to you...."Can NASA provide their own towing? If not, do they have enough clout to tell TWS to get rid of this asshole or we don't race there any more? (Probably not.)

The day's schedule is chaotic enough without having to deal with an employee with an attitude. There's plenty of flatbed operators who'd love to have a gig like that & get paid regardless of whether they had to pick anyone up or not instead of sitting by a scanner all day and trying to beat the other tow drivers to every wreck that pops up.

GlennCMC70
08-07-2006, 12:56 PM
another thing along the lines of track personel. the guy who opens up the front gat (sunday morning) was there @ 6am parked on the inside. i thought it was someone needing to get out and was waiting on the gate to be opened. once 6:30 rolled around and after a line of cars were waiting outside, he opens the gate. if he was there, why not open it? why wait til 6:30? your there, they all are gonna get in, whay make us wait while he just sits there? i have no simpathy for the management @ TWS. each and every year they seem to be more and more of a problem.

rpoz27
08-07-2006, 02:04 PM
As the TWS track rat, I 'll share what I know and maybe it'll help.

First of all, Rusty Rush took over management of the track in April when Jack Turner retired. Some of y'all may remember him and his management style if you were tracking at TWS before Jack took over eight-ish years ago. Things have changed somewhat.

Second, but likely connected, the rollback operator is not someone I've ever seen, but y'all are right he was pretty apathetic from what I saw. He ran a friend of mine's exhaust through the gravel for a foot or so before we could convince him to reverse the winch and try again with stacked boards. Usually, the flatback operator is a guy I know to be conscientious and who does the job mainly because he loves the cars. If y'all are willing to tell me some specifics, I can bring them up with Rusty this week. So far, he likes me, maybe he'll listen and take action.

And lastly, the corner workers and EMS crews:

The EMS crew was also different. The crews this past weekend were from Legacy. I don't know who contracted them. For a while now, the track has had a contract with Guardian for their services and they've worked well.

The corner workers were from all over. Some of them were SCCA certified, some of them were the workers from MSRH, some of them were the normal TWS corner workers (2 of these drove all the way from Dallas because of the AI/CMC races). According to the corner workers, they were mainly upset that they were out on corners 'til 2:00,2:30-ish without lunch on Sat. Some of them had run out of water or were getting very close to it. And when they did come in, their lunch was shortened. They said a shortened lunch would've been fine at 12ish, which is what happened on sun., or they would've been willing to stay on corners so we could run, and had lunch and water taken to them so they could just eat there. Several of the corner workers didn't make it in for Sun. because they felt ill from heat exhaustion. Shannon did compensate them for the extra time they were there on Sat. and the lunch thing. I don't know about Sun.

GlennCMC70
08-07-2006, 02:09 PM
those guys do a thankless job, and it does not go un-noticed. we just dont say it enough.

donovan
08-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Jeff Brooks and myself went over Saturday evening and told them how much we appricieated there effort and staying late for us.

They looked tired and just as exhausted as we did. I'm sure they would like to have heard it a few more times from other racers... They asked us each what car we drove, knew both cars and were pretty cool!

David D.

dirwin
08-07-2006, 02:53 PM
TWS has always been very sticky on gate times and when they open. The reason they have always given insurance. I don't know the details about when NASA insurance picks up so I don't know if it is just them being hard to deal with or they are being truthfull. I kind of lean towards the hard to deal with part myself, other tracks have the same insurance, they just tend to be NICE about it. One way to look at TWS, they seem to offend most everyone so it is not just us. Keeping it positive, the lady in the concession stand was really nice and she smiles!

From what I understand the behind schedule Saturday had more to do with 163 cars than anything. When Shannon and Jay are trying to get that many cars out and accommodate that many run groups everything must run PERFECT to stay on schedule. Take late EMS to start off Saturday and you can never get back on track. I will give it to Shannon, Jay and Adrian, they did one heck of a job trying, even to the point of canceling the run sessions for their guest series to make sure that the normal groups got our track time. Hats off to NASA even though things went south.

Corner workers, we should just be glad we have them at all, it takes a bunch of them to run the big track, throw in 98 degree heat and we are lucky to be able to run the 2.9 mile.

Rob Liebbe
08-07-2006, 02:55 PM
I think we all greatly appreciate how much the corner worker endure to enable us to participate in this hobby. I would like to ask that the NASA management to please be sure to thank them next time they have the opportunity for me and I will do the same at the next event as well.

mitchntx
08-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Jeff Brooks and myself went over Saturday evening and told them how much we appricieated there effort and staying late for us.

They looked tired and just as exhausted as we did. I'm sure they would like to have heard it a few more times from other racers... They asked us each what car we drove, knew both cars and were pretty cool!

David D.

Same here, David.

In the evenings, when they are having their daily "debrief" a try and swing by and thank them for their work.

Mike Bell
08-07-2006, 03:38 PM
The two guys I shared some time with in T13 corner station were great folks. We had a blast watching R1 from their vantage point. They were asking me about AI and CMC cars, asked which cars were contending for points lead and race lead etc etc. Lots of action from their perspective (cars hangin 2 and 4 wheels off coming through T12 was exciting!).

They gave me a cold bottle of water and never stopped smiling the whole race. It did take us a while to get a tow truck out there for my car however............

AI#97
08-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Lots of action from their perspective (cars hangin 2 and 4 wheels off coming through T12 was exciting!)......

Sorry if I brought any rocks your way in the Vortex of dust!!! :lol:

gt40
08-07-2006, 04:15 PM
those guys do a thankless job, and it does not go un-noticed. we just dont say it enough.I used to work corners at PCA events at TWS. (Work on Saturday, drive for free on Sunday.)

Its hot, its lonely, and its boring as hell when the HPDE guys are running. I'd try to get stationed at one of the corners where there were a lot of offs, just to liven things up.

I try to make an effort to thank the workers when I see 'em, but I never see 'em! Perhaps we as a group should make a concerted effort at the end of each day (or at least the end of the weekend,) to go as a group and thank them. I know I would have apreciated it.

(To be honest, for a free day of HPDE as payment, the drivers could have thrown flaming bags of pig vomit at me and I wouldn't have cared, but these guys aren't being compensated nearly as nicely!)

Racebrat
08-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Hey Guys,

I have an email list for the workers that were there this weekend and I will certainly pass along ya'lls thanks for the long days. The suggestion of going to the "party" and thanking them is a very good one and personal conversation goes a long way in this sport. Another suggestion is to wave on your cool down lap. Most of the wave or clap for the show ya'll put on, wave back to them. Also, some drivers have a graphic made up and slap it on their car that says "Thanks Workers". Put it across your rear buper....or your hood...or your fender. Anywhere there is room.

As far as the track issues (ei: the tow truck driver) I will choose not to comment based on the fact that I am a NASA official and also that he caused my husband (who was stranded at 10 for a while during his race) some unneeded grief....so, I can't say something nice so I won't say anything at all. :-)

As always, ya'll put on one hell of a show for everyone watching! Thanks for the memories!

Hope to see everyone in Houston in October!

rpoz27
08-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the corner worker support. I'll also pass it along.

The best time to catch those guys is during lunch break at the snack bar.

Todd Covini
08-08-2006, 12:13 AM
I propose that we (AI/CMC) host the Saturday evening corner-worker party at MSRH. I realize NASA TX throws a really nice mixer for the workers but only a few of our racers are able to make it to mingle with the people who spend their day in anticipation of watching us race.

What better way to thank the workers at our season finale for an awesome 2006 AI/CMC racing season than to invite them into our paddock to party amongst the ponycars and ponycar stars!!! Heck...chances are...our three new 2006 Champions will be amongst the crowd!

We've been known to have a few great parties and this one could create a buzz in the corner-worker population which would could keep 'em coming back for more! Food for thought...

-=- Todd

AI#97
08-08-2006, 12:28 AM
I propose that we (AI/CMC) host the Saturday evening corner-worker party at MSRH. I realize NASA TX throws a really nice mixer for the workers but only a few of our racers are able to make it to mingle with the people who spend their day in anticipation of watching us race.

What better way to thank the workers at our season finale for an awesome 2006 AI/CMC racing season than to invite them into our paddock to party amongst the ponycars and ponycar stars!!! Heck...chances are...our three new 2006 Champions will be amongst the crowd!

We've been known to have a few great parties and this one could create a buzz in the corner-worker population which would could keep 'em coming back for more! Food for thought...

-=- Todd

Todd, that is a pretty good idea..... as a note, I liked the mexican dinner they had at Cresson....they should do something similar to that again in Houston on Saturday night....Plenty of booze and the like so I can get Marvel liqoured up so he can't drive on Sunday!!!! :wink:

Todd Covini
08-08-2006, 12:31 AM
The F-body guys paid Al Fernandez to stay up late and feed me beers at MSRC earlier this year and I ended up winning the next morning. Be careful what you ask for....alcohol can do funny things to people! 8)

-=- Todd

Todd Covini
08-08-2006, 01:39 AM
1) How did the safety broadcast work out?

I manned the safety broadcast from the tower on Saturday, however, only a handfull of racers had the receivers. In addition, I think Boudy said he had some adjustments to make with the base station we were using that only he could comment on. The handhelds seemed to work fine all over.

As a side note, Everyone should take a turn watching a race from Race Control (with the Race Director's permission of course) someday when you're not driving to better appreciate the level of communications and response times to things you can't necessarily see. It will give you a whole new level of appreciation of what goes into our races behind the scenes from pre-grid to post-tech.

-=- Todd

Mike Bell
08-08-2006, 06:29 AM
I propose that we (AI/CMC) host the Saturday evening corner-worker party at MSRH.

I like that idea Todd. That way we can do more than a wave on the cool down lap to show our gratitude for those who stand out in the hot sun watching us do our thing.

Racebrat
08-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Y'all are awesome. Have I told y'all that today? :-)

I am working on something for MSRH and was hoping y'all would want to participate. Basically we would like to have drivers donate something (anything, a suggestion list is coming up soon) that will be given away door prize style. All of the volunteer workers will get a ticket with a number, the other half of the ticket goes into the bucket and we keep drawing until all the prizes are gone.

I'm working on the details now and hope to have them posted by this afternoon. It's going to be a pretty busy day with having to go out to my construction site and check on my house soon (school starts in a week and we're not moved in yet) so it may be late tonite before I get the details posted.

What are y'all's thoughts on that?

A

donovan
08-08-2006, 09:32 AM
I propose that we (AI/CMC) host the Saturday evening corner-worker party at MSRH.

I like that idea Todd. That way we can do more than a wave on the cool down lap to show our gratitude for those who stand out in the hot sun watching us do our thing.

I think that is a great idea! Count me in.

David D.

Todd Covini
08-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Sounds awesome Adrian!!!

Maybe we could donate autographed pieces of our cars or something like that!!! :D

-=- Todd

Mike Bell
08-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Broken connecting rods, busted pistons, burnt valves sort of stuff?? LOL

Todd Covini
08-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Yup....front spoilers...folded hoods...crimpled fenders. Those things have "history" in them!!! LOL

AI#97
08-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Sounds awesome Adrian!!!

Maybe we could donate autographed pieces of our cars or something like that!!! :D

-=- Todd

I don't have much left of that nose I cheezed in Cresson but I am sure there are parts of it still out in the weeds!! I will autograph the mad max spoiler and drop it off since I won't be needing it anymore! Ha!

I think what might be even more cool would be to raffle off the few remaining AI/CMC shirts that we could all sign like David Love had at the beginning of the year for Amber....

Rob Liebbe
08-08-2006, 10:07 AM
How about gift certificates to restaurants?

Racebrat
08-08-2006, 10:12 AM
y'all may think its funny but I still have the lower left rear quarter panel from Jon Gooding's Crystal Pepsi (remember that crap?) Trans Am car. He crashed it at the GP of Dallas and I was there on the safety team (San Jac). He said I could keep the peice as a souviner and it is to this day hanging in my garage.

The next year I was working MERV 8 (upstream from S/F) when Scott Sharp's hood flew off as he was reaching top speed on the front straight. The whole damn hood, just flew off and came over the fence. There was a father and son sitting on the hill betweenthe grandstands and our station. The dad saw it coming and just laid himself and his son down on their backs and watched the hood float down to them. It was in slow motion for us. Anyway, we responded (on foot) and made sure everyone was ok. We had to (by sanctioning body rules) get the hood from the boy and father. We took it back over to Scott's garage, and his first question was did it hurt anyone. We said no, the only hurting were the feelings of the 6 year old boy who thought he got to keep it. Scott, being the fabulous person that he is, got his entire crew to autograph the hood and he and I walked it back over to where the father and son still were (the rest of the MERV crew had stalled them since they knew by radio that we were coming bcak, with Scott and his hood). The look on the kid's face when he saw us coming back with the hood was only topped by the look when Scott shook his hand. I will never in my life forget that moment and neither will that little boy. Speaking of Scott Sharp, for those of you that don't know, he and his wife have written 2 awesome children's books. We own both of them and they are Kaleigh's favorite stories. 12 Little race cars is based on Indy type cars and 12 More Little Race Cars is based on NASCAR style cars. You can purchase them at www.wordweaverbooks.com I recommend them, they are fabulous!

Moral of the story: Make fun of it all you want but race car parts are great conversation peices! :-)

Racebrat
08-08-2006, 10:19 AM
How about gift certificates to restaurants?

That is on the list of sugestions. I like the idea of autographed AI/CMC Tshirts. Maybe one of the DVD's from last year? Some other things I have seen driver's donate before are:

Cash
Binoculars
Hats (caps, anything racing, tires, etc)
T Shirts
Koozies
Gas Cards
Golf Umbrellas (big enough for 2 in a rain storm)
small soft sided coolers
Restuarant gift cards
Walmart gift cards
Nice bottle of liquor (Don't laugh, I've seen it done! A Nice bottle of Scotch is always well recieved!)

It's not really the "what" you gave but that you took the time to give "something" that says the biggest thanks of all. Use your imagination. Try to put yourselves in their shoes, what would you want?

Let me know if you have any questions!

A

bossskip302
08-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Scott and I will help out in any way we can...if cold Dublin Dr Pepper would help during lunch or anything else let me know how to show our appreciation to the folks that us allow to do what we do.

Thanks
Skip AIX 69
Scott CMC 78

David Love AI27
08-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Broken connecting rods, busted pistons, burnt valves sort of stuff?? LOL

What is better... a big piece of engine block to use as coffee table stand or little pieces that they can put in pocket?.. how about a crank... should I donate both pieces as a single prize?

On a serious note... IF NASATX will donate a weekend of DE1 track time I will donate a car for the weekend. It would either be the Neon or if late in the season the CMC#10 (with Amber's permission, of course)... Maybe the guys could pitch in for fuel..

David Love AI27
08-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Sounds awesome Adrian!!!

-=- Todd

I don't have much left of that nose I cheezed in Cresson but I am sure there are parts of it still out in the weeds!! I will autograph the mad max spoiler and drop it off since I won't be needing it anymore! Ha!

I think what might be even more cool would be to raffle off the few remaining AI/CMC shirts that we could all sign like David Love had at the beginning of the year for Amber....

I'm still missing some signatures... Jessica told me she has a couple of shirts left... I would be happy to coordinate this if we can still get the last white shirt... Adrian, how can I get in touch with Jessica?

Waco Racer
08-08-2006, 11:15 AM
PM Sent

oz98cobra
08-08-2006, 11:57 AM
On a serious note... IF NASATX will donate a weekend of DE1 track time I will donate a car for the weekend. It would either be the Neon or if late in the season the CMC#10 (with Amber's permission, of course)... Maybe the guys could pitch in for fuel..

You are on the right track Dave, but I think what would work even better would be a ride in one of our race cars that has a passenger seat on the Sunday, either during an HPDE or time trials session? It wouldn't be much of a disruption to go fetch the lucky corner worker in a pickup after the previous groups run, then drop him back after the ride?

David Love AI27
08-08-2006, 12:12 PM
I propose that AI/CMC purchase enough 2006 shirts autographed by the AI, AIX, and CMC champions to raffle at each event in 2007 along with a 2006 video (I'm sure one is in the works) with a 2nd prize of the video alone. Other prizes can be donated by individual drivers for 3rd, 4th, and so on. In addition I will put together a raffle in which the corner workers will be given a ticket for every day worked untill the 2nd to last event with the prize being a weekend of DE at the final event. This might promote participation year-round.

Input, anyone??

ps I will get shirt for last event and we can have the 4 race winners in AIX,AI and CMC autograph just for that event. We can put Date, Location "Thanks for your dedication", "AI Race 1 Winner: David Love #27, CMC Race 1 Winner: Amber Love #10... and so on....

Racebrat
08-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Should someone start a seperate topic for Worker Appreciation Ideas?

The HPDE idea is one Clifton and I threw around this morning. The ride around idea is good too. I like the picking up and dropping off suggestion.

I do want to clarify one thing about the October MRSH deal. It will not be a "raffle" since that evokes the thought that one has to purchase a ticket. We will give tickets to all volunteers.

A

Rob Liebbe
08-08-2006, 12:46 PM
ps I will get shirt for last event and we can have the 4 race winners in AIX,AI and CMC autograph just for that event. We can put Date, Location "Thanks for your dedication", "AI Race 1 Winner: David Love #27, CMC Race 1 Winner: Amber Love #10... and so on....

I like your confidence!!!

David Love AI27
08-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Should someone start a seperate topic for Worker Appreciation Ideas?

The HPDE idea is one Clifton and I threw around this morning. The ride around idea is good too. I like the picking up and dropping off suggestion.

I do want to clarify one thing about the October MRSH deal. It will not be a "raffle" since that evokes the thought that one has to purchase a ticket. We will give tickets to all volunteers.

A

A raffle in the sense that the workers "earn" a ticket not purchase... maybe "prize drawing" is better phraseology... LOL

AI#97
08-08-2006, 01:13 PM

You are on the right track Dave, but I think what would work even better would be a ride in one of our race cars that has a passenger seat on the Sunday, either during an HPDE or time trials session? It wouldn't be much of a disruption to go fetch the lucky corner worker in a pickup after the previous groups run, then drop him back after the ride?

Don't know if we need corner workers throwing up at their stations!!! :wink:

If I have a seat in my car for the Houston event....put me on the list to provide a ride. only about a 20% chance of the seat though!

michaelmosty
08-08-2006, 01:47 PM

I have a passenger seat and will love to take any of the workers for a ride!! Let me know if I can help out.

David Love AI27
08-08-2006, 01:49 PM

Not the weekend of the drawing, We could coordinate it so that they would be driving, NOT working a corner... who wants to ride???? they deserve to DRIVE!!!

David Love AI27
08-08-2006, 01:51 PM

I have a passenger seat and will love to take any of the workers for a ride!! Let me know if I can help out.

Would you give Amber a ride, sometime???... She has never had a ride in an actual race car with someone else driving!

michaelmosty
08-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Of course. It's always alot more intense when you have no control of what the car is doing!! :twisted:

cmarvel
08-08-2006, 05:26 PM
I am good with the ride idea, we put a seat in for the DE events that we run. I doubt we will have a motor by October, but anyone is welcome to meet us at a TDE event and get a ride.

EV liked his :wink:

Boudy
08-09-2006, 02:43 PM
As for Question #1) The Safety Broadcast this weekend fell apart for several reasons.

First, Jay was intended to do the broadcast and when schedules combined groups 5 and 8, confusion set in. Time was spent on this situation vs prepping the equipment. Thanks Todd Covini for stepping up to do the broadcast for us.

Second, the equipment was not thoroughly checked by myself. I assumed it was set up and ready to go and didn't see that whomever set it up in control did not screw in the antenna. I will not allow such a thing to happen again. This caused Todd to only be heard at very close range. After these problems, we all just gathered up the equipment to regroup for the next event and it wasn't until later Sunday that I found the antenna problem. No one will be charged rental fees for the weekend.

Third, only 6 or 7 racers opted to monitor the broadcast to begin with. I'm offering $500 in contingency equipment and NASA TX is fully on board and supporting a Safety Broadcast. There are pages and pages of discussion, everyone wanted this. What's up???

Now as for the party thing. I can't imagine hosting a good party... :roll: :wink:

Finally, I have a passenger seat for my car and would be glad to install it for rides. BTW: Mr. Mosty, if you intend to give rides, do take the towtruck driver or you'll be stranded. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boudy

Mike Bell
08-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Boudy,

I appreciate you making the radios available. I have an earpiece that I need to pay you for. You guys take Paypal over at Argent Labs??

MB

a_love02
08-09-2006, 03:03 PM

Ummm....my car has to be finished and actually running in order to do that...they can drive it all they want, as long as its ready so i can race!! :lol: But I dunno how many of them would wanna ride around in a hot pink car w/ penelope pitstop stickers on it!! :)

cmarvel
08-09-2006, 04:15 PM
But I dunno how many of them would wanna ride around in a hot pink car w/ penelope pitstop stickers on it!! :)

I am just glad that someone remembers Penelope Pitstop.

After the engine incident in T2, I thought about naming the car the Thunderbolt Greaseslapper.

Todd Covini
08-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Second, the equipment was not thoroughly checked by myself. I assumed it was set up and ready to go and didn't see that whomever set it up in control did not screw in the antenna. I will not allow such a thing to happen again. This caused Todd to only be heard at very close range. After these problems, we all just gathered up the equipment to regroup for the next event and it wasn't until later Sunday that I found the antenna problem. No one will be charged rental fees for the weekend.

Boudy

Nice to freakin' find out about this on the internet!!! So you mean to tell me that I was up there talking to you guys for over 20 minutes and nobody was listening!?!?!? :shock: THAT'S never happened to me before.... :roll: :D

-=- Todd

Rob Liebbe
08-09-2006, 07:46 PM
9:10pm to 9:30pm Saturday August 5 :?

Todd Covini
08-09-2006, 09:47 PM
9:10pm to 9:30pm Saturday August 5 :?

I'll have you know, Mr. "automotive-engineer-of-14-and-1/2 years-specializing-in-vehicle-dynamics-development-and-tire-development-with-the-last-six-years-and-8-mos-as-an-accident-reconstructionist" that that was an "alley-oop" and I knew someone was going to slam dunk it!

...just didn't think it was going to be you! LOL :D

-=- Todd

PS- Per Mitch's Motto...I can feel day 4 a-comin' on...

Rob Liebbe
08-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Sorry Todd, couldn't resist. I have also held the title of "dick" and "asshole" on many occasions - twice yesterday.