PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Aussie Supercars

BlueFirePony
11-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Where are you all sitting?
I am up in the air about GA again or getting high-row T15 seats - prices are much better :)
GA sections for T3, T9 and T19 were all great for F1 this past weekend.
With the shortened course for V8 the cars will come around more often so those plus the pre-T12 GA section will all be good IMO.

RichardP
11-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Where are you all sitting?
I am up in the air about GA again or getting high-row T15 seats - prices are much better :)
GA sections for T3, T9 and T19 were all great for F1 this past weekend.
With the shortened course for V8 the cars will come around more often so those plus the pre-T12 GA section will all be good IMO.

I got turn 15 tickets for the F1 Friday practice. The individual high backed seats were a nice upgrade from the normal bleachers. I really didn't like the view of the track, however. It was like watching mice try to work their way through a maze. Big tall barriers/fences everywhere and limited sightlines. You couldn't see the passing that was taking place at the end of the straight in Turn 12 and the cars were going really slow by us. Getting higher up in the 15 stands helps but doesn't correct everything. I'd have been really pissed if I had paid big money for the whole weekend.

The turn 12 grandstands past the end of the braking zone were also not too good. As you got further up the straight in the turn 12 grandstands, the view got much better. The cars were going by at big speed, you could see the heavy braking and passing into 12. You could see much of the action through turn 15, and you could reasonably see some action on the other side of the track.

On Friday they weren't worried about what tickets you had so we walked around the entire track and saw the sights from every grandstand. I thought turn 7 was the best (not relevant for the Supercars). Turn 4 stuff wasn't too bad although you would want to be as far down track as possible so you had some sightline to the braking zone at the end of the back straight.

Richard P.

ShadowBolt
11-21-2012, 03:20 PM
I got turn 15 tickets for the F1 Friday practice. The individual high backed seats were a nice upgrade from the normal bleachers. I really didn't like the view of the track, however. It was like watching mice try to work their way through a maze. Big tall barriers/fences everywhere and limited sightlines. You couldn't see the passing that was taking place at the end of the straight in Turn 12 and the cars were going really slow by us. Getting higher up in the 15 stands helps but doesn't correct everything. I'd have been really pissed if I had paid big money for the whole weekend.

The turn 12 grandstands past the end of the braking zone were also not too good. As you got further up the straight in the turn 12 grandstands, the view got much better. The cars were going by at big speed, you could see the heavy braking and passing into 12. You could see much of the action through turn 15, and you could reasonably see some action on the other side of the track.

On Friday they weren't worried about what tickets you had so we walked around the entire track and saw the sights from every grandstand. I thought turn 7 was the best (not relevant for the Supercars). Turn 4 stuff wasn't too bad although you would want to be as far down track as possible so you had some sightline to the braking zone at the end of the back straight.

Richard P.

I'm with Richard. I was dissapointed with the limited view of the track. Is there anyplace wwhere you can see 75% of the track?

JJ

BlueFirePony
11-21-2012, 08:35 PM
...Is there anyplace wwhere you can see 75% of the track?

JJ

The Tower...$35 for 10 minutes.
So neither you nor Richard sound like you are up for the Supercars?

From what I can tell the T15 grandstand will be better for the short track.
As far as the GA areas, I found T19 the best for Saturday qual and Sunday race...on one side you could see the entry and down the straight...further down where we settled you missed some of the entry but got a great angle on the braking battles into T19 and you could see across to T1 through to T2. I approached it the same as watching Grand Am at Mid O - find an area that showed enough of an overtaking area and move when it got too hot/crowded or the beer line got too long (did not have that problem at COTA...beer guys found me without fail).

Casey_SS
11-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Didn't make F1 this year but I do have tickets to the Aussie race. GA section near turn 1 with what looks like assigned seating. Seems weird for GA but whatever. What's the view like from that area?

Waco Racer
11-22-2012, 06:33 PM
I sat in the Turn 1 GA area and it was great!

BlueFirePony
11-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Clifton, I forgot to mention T1...yep, that area was apparently a late addition and also a good spot. We hung out there a bit for the vintage F1 race. Apparently the drivers were less challenged by T1 than the designers had thought (Hamilton, Webber and Alonso all said it was cake Friday) but it sure looks great from a spectator view.

Casey, If seating is run the same as this past weekend...the GA section designations are for tracking ticket sales not assigned seating. I wasn't sure so I emailed COTA and they said we could sit in any GA area we wanted.
I am sure that will be the same for any race..no way they can mount up enough staff/volunteers to check peoples GA tickets around the track. T
FYI, they apparently had some sort of "walk out" of employees on Sunday and had to depend more on the volunteers...Saturday night my friend and his wife had been told they could just hang out Sunday but then Sat morning were asked to usher ...they did for the morning and then came to watch the race with us.

cjlmlml
11-23-2012, 09:31 AM
The cost of private track rental is $50,000 for entire day. From the website.

kbrewmr2
11-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Clifton was with my group on Sunday. There's some variation between different areas of T1, right where we were was the best. Too far over to the turn itself means you lose track of the cars coming in, plus the angle to the jumbotron starts to suck, plus the land is flatter over there so short people start having to look between bodies. Farther towards the s/f line just gets steeper and soon the grandstand blocks your view. Right behind the corner station = gravy.

Of the ~1:40 sec race laps, you can see the F1 cars for about 45ish seconds of the lap. Pretty good imho. Turn-in for 18 all the way around to exit of T3. Will probably be even more perfect for V8SC since they will be on areas you can't see for an even shorter amt of time. But as with any road coure race, view of the jumbotron may trump other things - esp if/when passes or other SHTF moments happen in areas you can't see, or areas you weren't watching and you have to catch the instant replays.

AllZWay
04-17-2013, 08:58 AM
I am really want to go to this race....but looking at ticket prices they are pricey to take the whole family.

My options appear to be for $109 tickets.
Main Grand Stands
Turn 1 Sections 3-5
Turn 15 Rows 13-24

Or for $83 tickets.
Turn 1 Sections 1-2
Turn 15 Rows 1-12

Those that have been to the track, what would you recommend?

Waco Racer
04-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Those that have been to the track, what would you recommend?

GA and hang out in the grassy area in turn 1

Trublu
04-17-2013, 02:32 PM
If you've never been to a V8 Supercars race I can highly reccomend it from the vantage point that suits your budget. Turn 15 is excellent and would be ideal regardless of row # to watch my Aussie bretheren

AllZWay
04-17-2013, 04:50 PM
If you've never been to a V8 Supercars race I can highly reccomend it from the vantage point that suits your budget. Turn 15 is excellent and would be ideal regardless of row # to watch my Aussie bretheren

It is my favorite road racing series. I pulled the trigger on Turn 15 seats.... crappy row 1, but hopefully we can see something.

michaelmosty
04-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Myself, Raegan, Marshall, and Trina will be there in GA seats. I think we're going to shoot for the T1 grass if possible.

Casey_SS
04-17-2013, 10:46 PM
We'll be there too...also hanging out somewhere on the grassy knoll by T1.

y5e06
04-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Corey and I both have our sets of tickets in T15, part way up. ring a ding ding and we'll meet up that weekend

AI#97
04-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Most of the tx club racing scene has seats in t15....could get rowdy!!!!

Alien
04-26-2013, 06:08 PM
My T15 Section 3 tickets arrived today!

nasa-rm
04-28-2013, 10:47 AM
I will be there Wednesday evening through Sunday.

Crewing for a team and trying to schmooze the V8 SuperCars staff directly for the future. Sorry kids. I really, really, really, really tried to get CMC as a guest support series for the weekend and had been working on it since last July. COTA wanted nothing to do with it as you all don't "fit the image for the weekend." Really, WTF - Over?

ShadowBolt
04-28-2013, 03:27 PM
I will be there Wednesday evening through Sunday.

Crewing for a team and trying to schmooze the V8 SuperCars staff directly for the future. Sorry kids. I really, really, really, really tried to get CMC as a guest support series for the weekend and had been working on it since last July. COTA wanted nothing to do with it as you all don't "fit the image for the weekend." Really, WTF - Over?

SCREW THEM! I don't like anything about that place (except the track). They are way too big for their britches.
I will not be back until something changes.
Are any of you aware of what they are doing to Kevin Schwanz?

http://ultimatemotorcycling.com/kevin-schwantzcircuit-of-the-americas-saga-continues/

These guys are not to be trusted.

JJ

AllZWay
04-29-2013, 08:08 AM
SCREW THEM! I don't like anything about that place (except the track). They are way too big for their britches.
I will not be back until something changes.
Are any of you aware of what they are doing to Kevin Schwanz?

http://ultimatemotorcycling.com/kevin-schwantzcircuit-of-the-americas-saga-continues/

These guys are not to be trusted.

JJ

I have been following the Kevin Schwanz..... COTA is definitely ran by the worst of the worst of arrogant and controlling aholes.

ShadowBolt
04-29-2013, 09:12 AM
I have been following the Kevin Schwanz..... COTA is definitely ran by the worst of the worst of arrogant and controlling aholes.

Kevin is a great guy (according to my brother who met and hung out with him a TWS a few weeks ago). They are selling these Free Kevin shirts. The money goes to the Marco Simoncelli Foundation.

http://freekevin34.com/free-kevin-34-t-shirt-black/

JJ

RichardP
05-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Craig and I will be doing the general admission thing at COTA this Friday and Saturday to watch the V8 Supercars and World Challenge races. Anyone want to do an AI/CMC dinner somewhere in Austin on Friday night???

Richard P.

AllZWay
05-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Richard.....I don't think we will get there in time on Friday.

BTW... Where do we park? It looks like we can park at the track for $30/day. Any other options?

RichardP
05-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Where do we park? It looks like we can park at the track for $30/day. Any other options?

If you don't already have parking passes, you apparently park in the gravel for $30/day. The only other option I see is to ride a bike...

Richard P.

ShadowBolt
05-16-2013, 06:00 PM
If you don't already have parking passes, you apparently park in the gravel for $30/day. The only other option I see is to ride a bike...

Richard P.

Sam told me no one will be allowed that does not pay to park. No walk in's. don't know if it's true.

JJ

Trublu
05-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Not sure how they would hope to police that. Grand Am was walk up

kbrewmr2
05-17-2013, 09:01 AM
they said that for F1 as well

Taylor Rotorsports is where our group parked for F1 - $20ish, cheaper than the lots, and close-ish to the T1 entrance. V8SC should be cheaper. All the little buisness down that stretch were actually doing the same thing...

RichardP
05-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Hanging at the track. There is off site parking in people's yards for cheaper, some of it closer than the official track parking.

I have two free GA tickets for Sunday if you can find a way to get them from me...

Richard P

edrock96GT
05-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Sam told me no one will be allowed that does not pay to park. No walk in's. don't know if it's true.

JJ

What if they biked or took the bus? They do know they're in Austin, right?

AllZWay
05-20-2013, 11:26 AM
I had a good time at the Aussie V8 Supercars. The family....not so much. It was friggin hot.

I did get to meet Graig Lowndes and Shane Vangisbergen though and they both signed a shirt I bought. Graig seemed like really cool and friendly guy. Shane seemed a little shy, but very nice.

Also cool to see Lou Giggiliotti back in a Camaro in World Challengs.

marshall_mosty
05-20-2013, 04:43 PM
James,
Didn't see you out there. However, did see about half the AI/CMC guys and knew of another dozen in the stands at T15. Really awesome weekend. Trina even commented that she had a good time (shock to me). :)

AllZWay
05-20-2013, 05:03 PM
James,
Didn't see you out there. However, did see about half the AI/CMC guys and knew of another dozen in the stands at T15. Really awesome weekend. Trina even commented that she had a good time (shock to me). :)

Yep.. I did see half the AI/CMC family...just didn't venture all the way over to where you guys were.

kbrewmr2
05-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Heard from a couple different friends that GA people could sweet talk their way into the stands in various areas, get real close to the pits/drivers/etc and all that. Sounded really cool, if they come back I'm definitely not missing it again!

Trublu
05-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Supercars signed a 5 year deal with COTA

Trublu
05-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Pit Lane walk and other gems

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dltai34qxvy93sf/2013-05-17%2019.31.04-2.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw87e7qglbet10z/2013-05-17%2018.16.50.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4xmfhb62uyrcj5/2013-05-18%2014.43.34.jpg