PDA

View Full Version : SBF Expertise in Austin/San Antonio Needed

Bacook
12-15-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm looking for a recommendation of someone or a shop that is considered an expert in setting up a small block fords for racing. I feel I've got it to 95% but I'm not positive I have the valve lash right and I'd like to discuss the current build, next steps, etc. Basically, I'm looking for eyes and hands to help finish it out.
thanks!

ShadowBolt
12-15-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm looking for a recommendation of someone or a shop that is considered an expert in setting up a small block fords for racing. I feel I've got it to 95% but I'm not positive I have the valve lash right and I'd like to discuss the current build, next steps, etc. Basically, I'm looking for eyes and hands to help finish it out.
thanks!

I'm no expert but I build all my engines and setting up valve lash is not hard. Just a matter of making sure you are on the base of the cam. I assume you are talking about solid lifters? I live in Georgetown but I'm installing a lift so I'm covered up right now.

JJ

Bacook
12-17-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm using hydraulic lifters. When I assembled the engine it all seemed right with no play in the pushrods that were on pumped up lifters. However, after reading a bit more I started getting concerned that I was not scientific in my measurements. Basically, I'm looking to see if A) this is something I should worry about and B)if someone could go through my setup to check for anything I overlooked. I've got a few PMs with recommendations, so thanks all!

marshall_mosty
12-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Are you using pedestal rockers or stud rockers?

Bacook
12-17-2012, 09:16 PM
I have pedestal rockers. The heads are reconditioned older Edelbrock performer, rockers are scorpion 1.6, lifters are FRPP hydraulic and the pushrods are stock length. The heads were milled a bit when they were recon'd. It seems the aluminum rockers are a weak point and I need to replace them with chromoly.

marshall_mosty
12-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Brian,
Reference the following:

http://cranecams.com/uploads/instructions/453e_.pdf