PDA

View Full Version : Things to do BEFORE coming to MSR-H

marshall_mosty
12-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Just off the top of my head on things that we will check for annual tech (CCR)

Housekeeping
1. NASA Membership current
2. Medical current
3. Comp License current

Personal Safety Gear
Helmet (SA2005 or SA2010)
Suit (and underwear, if required)
Gloves
Shoes
Socks
Balaclava
SFI 38.1 device (HANS, etc.)

Car Safety Gear
Roll bar padding (must be the hard stuff, NO POOL NOODLES)... Don't make me be an ass... You've had 2 years to deal with this... Any tube your flailing body can contact must be covered. I'll only give a 2-3" gap allowance for tube intersections...
Belt expiration date and installation
Net expiration date
Fuel cell bladder expiration date
Holes in firewall
"Hot" electrical connections covered
Fire extinguisher/Fire system
Condition of hoses (radiator, fuel, brake)
No leaks (rear main, diff, etc.)
Seat back brace or expiration date on FIA seat
Hood pins
Master switch function
One working brake lights

kbrewmr2
12-17-2012, 05:51 PM
since I'm going through it at the moment - Look at your H&N restraint's sticker - if it has an FIA one you're fine stop here. If it only has an SFI sticker, then make sure it's been punched for a date within the last 5 years. If it's past that 5 year window, you need to ship it off to be recertified...

I talked to Safety Solutions (now Simpson, but..) today and was told if I had my device to them fairly soon that getting it turned around for Jan 19-20 was no problem... yet... Not sure on SFI-only HANS stuff, but I can't imagine it'll differ by alot.

MikeP99Z
12-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Interesting. My HANS has an FIA sticker (no date associated with it), and an SFI sticker with date of manufacture punched.

BlueFirePony
12-17-2012, 11:25 PM
Interesting. My HANS has an FIA sticker (no date associated with it), and an SFI sticker with date of manufacture punched.
http://hansdevice.com/SFI-Recertification-Program
In short, if your DoM is 2007 or earlier you need to get it recertified.

BlueFirePony
12-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Safety Solutions (now Simpson, but..)
HANS was bought by Simpson earlier this year...

HoustonNW
12-18-2012, 12:47 AM
http://hansdevice.com/SFI-Recertification-Program
In short, if your DoM is 2007 or earlier you need to get it recertified.

Per the CCR, the FIA sticker overrules the Hans requirement, at least for now:

29.0 Appendix D
29.1 Head and Neck Restraint Systems
29.1.1 General
There is an up to date list of devices that are SFI 38.1 certified located here: http://www.sfifoundation.com/manuf.html#38.1. If the device is not on this list it will not fulfill the use mandate. As of April 1, 2012 all devices that have and SFI certification and are more than five (5) years old should be sent back to the manufacturer for rectification per SFI 38.1 specifications. Those devices that have an FIA certification, whether they also have an SFI certification or not, are not required to be recertified.

kbrewmr2
12-18-2012, 09:23 AM
are you sure it has an SFI sticker? ;) but regardless, the FIA will still cover you. Make sure the tethers still look nice and will keep your melon connected to your noodle should you need to use it though :)

kbrewmr2
12-18-2012, 09:24 AM
HANS was bought by Simpson earlier this year...
Simpson owns eveyone now, yeah. SS was bought up a while back, and HANS brand earlier this year. Not the same thing btw. Anyway, here's my "I'm really thrilled about it" face :-| As if dealing with AMB's monopoly was bad enough...

MikeP99Z
12-18-2012, 10:11 AM
are you sure it has an SFI sticker? ;) but regardless, the FIA will still cover you. Make sure the tethers still look nice and will keep your melon connected to your noodle should you need to use it though :)

Yeah, I'm sure, unless I forgot how to read. One less thing to deal with - thanks FIA sticker!

I'm dealing with the back brace issue on my FIA seat which passed the 5-year mark. Otherwise, the safety stuff is good to go.

RichardP
12-18-2012, 11:04 AM
are you sure it has an SFI sticker? ;)

It is interesting that SFI labels "fall off" of the seat belts after a couple of years while the FIA labels are still firmly attached after five years...

Richard P.

kbrewmr2
12-18-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm with you Richard, it's just the darnedest thing you ever saw. Happens everytime in the winter after that 2yr mark like clockwork

Rob Liebbe
12-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Things to do:

1. Start with bare shell.

2. Build entire car. :)

Suck fumes
12-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Things to do:

Mentally prepare to WIN!!! Haha

Suck fumes
12-18-2012, 06:12 PM
O by the way. Which races count towards points/Toyo bucks? I would assume the inverted grid races don't count?

BlueFirePony
12-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Per the CCR, the FIA sticker overrules the Hans requirement, at least for now:
Hmmm...so if my tether has an FIA tag but my HANS shoulder unit has just the SFI sticker?

michaelmosty
12-18-2012, 06:51 PM
O by the way. Which races count towards points/Toyo bucks? I would assume the inverted grid races don't count?
Every race always counts towards points.
Toyo races are "usually" R1 and R3 (determined by qual). The only time this has changed was at Hallett with R1 (toyo race), R2 (invert from R1), R3 (invert from R2), R4 (toyo race w/ grid set from previous three races finishing positions).

Suck fumes
12-18-2012, 06:55 PM

HANS device has to have an FIA sticker on it which means you'll have to send it to them pay $80 for them to put a diff sticker on it then they send it back.

BlueFirePony
12-18-2012, 09:37 PM
HANS device has to have an FIA sticker on it which means you'll have to send it to them pay $80 for them to put a diff sticker on it then they send it back.
Actually I am good. I only glanced when I checked before and missed the FIA sticker on the HANS. I may still have my tethers checked...they've come into play at least 2 times more than I'd like.

Al Fernandez
12-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Very nice Marshall! Thanks for the reminder.

Rsmith350
12-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Welcome to the club Liebbe.....

Pranav
12-22-2012, 11:37 PM
woops

BryanL
12-29-2012, 05:23 PM
My belts are expired schroths with an fia tag. Does anyone know if they will certify them or do I just need to buy a new set?

David Love AI27
12-30-2012, 10:27 PM
My belts are expired schroths with an fia tag. Does anyone know if they will certify them or do I just need to buy a new set?

Just buy new ones... I'll give you $25 for your old ones to put in my track car...

marshall_mosty
12-30-2012, 10:38 PM
My belts are expired schroths with a fia tag. Does anyone know if they will certify them or do I just need to buy a new set?

Bryan, G-Force makes some nice cam lock belts w/FIA cert for $164.99
http://www.gforce.com/products/harness/7000.php

Suck fumes
12-30-2012, 11:29 PM
The Gforce FIA belts are pull down lap belts only. The pull ups are only SFI. Don't know why but that's the way they are. Only company I know that does that.

kbrewmr2
12-31-2012, 10:24 AM
95% sure they'll re-web, but price it vs buying new ones. Usually once you do shipping both ways it comes out close to a wash with most places I've investigated...