PDA

View Full Version : MSR Cresson - MER Dyno

Pranav
03-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Talked to one of the guys at MER last week, was told to check back middle of this week.

I'm planning on getting my car dyno-ed there on Friday; I figure if we get a small group to do it it would make things easier for them (and hopefully for us on price). Was quoted $179 for 3-4 pulls if I went in myself.

Anyone needing a dyno?

ShadowBolt
03-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Talked to one of the guys at MER last week, was told to check back middle of this week.

I'm planning on getting my car dyno-ed there on Friday; I figure if we get a small group to do it it would make things easier for them (and hopefully for us on price). Was quoted $179 for 3-4 pulls if I went in myself.

Anyone needing a dyno?

Don't do it! I got screwed by those guys last year. I made the mistake that he would be about the same price as everyone else......around $80-$100.00. I about crapped my pants when he said $179.00. At least you were smart enough to ask first. Get you dyno done after the event. I'm betting most will not care. Why let this guy do you for $179.00 for a dyno (not a dyno tune as you stated above).

JJ

Suck fumes
03-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Did you talk to Shannon or Jason at MER?

Pranav
03-11-2013, 03:10 PM
If Shannon is a chick, then it must have been Jason. It was a dude, that's all I remember.

I'll be fine with running an "average" sized plate on the car with no dyno sheet if y'all are OK with it (I'm a rookie, this is my first race); I'll just go off the listed LT1 sizes used in last year's dyno thread and take the average.

I had originally planned on getting my dyno done this past Friday at LMR down here for $125, and they were gonna be a little more flexible in that I could do whatever I wanted for an hour. This was until I found out I had spun a lifter and wiped out a cam lobe, but am getting the motor cleaned up and back together; it would be nice to see if the motor survives the weekend and do a leakdown/compression test on it before I pony up for a dyno later on.

GlennCMC70
03-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Bryan L is planning to dyno at Alamo in Arlington (where I dyno'ed Sat). I would make the tow up there to get it done. If you have to swap plates for the restrictor, you could be looking at 6-12 pulls to get it dialed in for the first time. The $179 bill could turn into a $500-$800 bill real quick. Seems there are a few of you who need to dyno, this would be the best plan.

I've had a couple comments to the affect of "It doesn't matter if I have a dyno, I'm going to be in the back anyways!" .... "Plus, I want to run the test and tune for Friday."
I say the test and tune should come second after the dyno. You got time to T&T, you got time to dyno.
If you want to shake the car down in the T&T to make sure it runs OK, I get that. But if it has issues motor wise, it will be easier to troubleshoot on the dyno.
It is more important to make a good faith effort to be legal (that includes the dyno) than to use a day T&T'ing just to not be legal the next day for racing.

Pranav
03-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the note; I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and try get it done at MER and still be able to T&T; I'll just bring cash and not let em budge above $179. If I can get an appointment in early enough at Alamo on Friday, I may just go ahead and do it there.

Suck fumes
03-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Shannon McMaster is a man and the owner of MER. Reason I ask is because Shannon is a nice guy and if you told him that you just needed a couple baseline pulls he'd prob be more lenient on the price.

ShadowBolt
03-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Shannon McMaster is a man and the owner of MER. Reason I ask is because Shannon is a nice guy and if you told him that you just needed a couple baseline pulls he'd prob be more lenient on the price.

He may be a nice guy but last year they did three pulls on my car and he (Shannon) hit me for $179.00 plus TAX! Over $190.00 for three pulls (and I payed with cash).

JJ

michaelmosty
03-11-2013, 05:39 PM
He may be a nice guy but last year they did three pulls on my car and he (Shannon) hit me for $179.00 plus TAX! Over $190.00 for three pulls (and I payed with cash).

JJ
And they didn't even have air/fuel hookup working.
I'm with you Jerry, the impression I got from them last year was they like $$ but not much else.
It is unfortunate if that is not their true representation but that is what the clowns running the show last year made it feel like.

Suck fumes
03-11-2013, 09:03 PM
You should see their shop rates!! And how much it is to run an mx5 cup car with them!

Pranav
03-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Provided I have no issues getting the motor started tonight (cracked a freaking starter, I need shims!) and no major issues popup with compression or knocking noises, I'm set to roll in to Alamo at 9am on Friday. They're already booked up with a bunch of other NASA racers, so it looks like Alamo is gonna be it for most of us.

Fingers crossed!