PDA

View Full Version : Opinions anyone ... Overheating issue

AllZWay
03-23-2013, 02:47 PM
As most know I was fighting an overheating issue. I was losing water before a race was over and the car would run hot.

I was convinced I had a head gasket issue since I couldn't find a water leak anywhere.

Well I just found a small hole in the upper radiator hose that would only show up when I let the car get hot and a pretty good leak would develop.

I was all set to pull the heads, but now I'm thinking I need to test it without the water leak first. Of course , the only way to test is to put it on track and that would be TWS.

What would you do? Risk the haul or tear it apart?

michaelmosty
03-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Is the leak big enough to solve for all of the coolant loss?
How low in the radiator was the water level after each race? If it was 6" low then that could easily be the issue but if only an inch or two low then I would think other problems.
Also, how long did it take to get to 250 degrees during each race?

Rob Liebbe
03-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Turn the fan off, put a brick on the accelerator and watch for 45 minutes.

Hope you find the problem. My money is on the radiator hose spraying when hot and under pressure but not enough to notice while your buddies are dive bombing you into Rattlesnake.

AllZWay
03-23-2013, 03:57 PM
I probably would only lose about a quart of water per race, which by itself doesn't really seem to be enough to run hot.. But with the LT1 reverse cooling I wonder if it develops an air pocket.

It would not run hot in the first practice or qual after it was filled full and bled, but my mid-race it would start to get hot and by race end it would be close to 250.

I hate to pull the heads and find nothing, but also hate to pull it to TWS and not get to race. I can't make it get hot just running it in the shop with the fans on.

marshall_mosty
03-23-2013, 08:33 PM
James,
Can you pressure test the system at 20-22psi to see if something surfaces?

BryanL
03-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Have you taken the radiator out to clean it? Clean the fins. Bang out all the dirt rocks rubber

Al Fernandez
03-23-2013, 10:28 PM
I would think it'd be ok. I've gotten Lt1s hot plenty of times and they bounce back fine. If you come down and it pops the gasket then you know you wont be wasting your time with the work and you can borrow my car. Somebody's got to put that thing on the podium and it aint looking like I'm going to any time soon! :)

GlennCMC70
03-23-2013, 10:49 PM
Keep in mind that part of what keeps the temp down is the pressure on the system. If it never builds pressure due to a leak, the water boils thus creating air pockets.
My money is on it being fine.

David Love AI27
03-25-2013, 06:03 AM
James,
Can you pressure test the system at 20-22psi to see if something surfaces?

I purchased a very expensive pressure tester that tests cap and cooling system... found a pin hole in my radiator by pressuring up to 20+ lbs... Check with auto zone and see if they have a loaner... or I can drop mine off Monday after Easter

AllZWay
03-25-2013, 08:02 AM
I am thinking I will just drive it and see what happens.

Thanks for the opinions.

BryanL
03-25-2013, 10:27 AM
I purchased a very expensive pressure tester that tests cap and cooling system... found a pin hole in my radiator by pressuring up to 20+ lbs... Check with auto zone and see if they have a loaner... or I can drop mine off Monday after Easter

Azone does have loaners.

rleng1
03-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Do you see any signs of water out the exhaust? Last year I lost a head gasket, and I lost over 2 gallons of water and saw a lot of graphite material in the radiator when I refilled the radiator.

MikeP99Z
03-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Replace the hose and maybe the radiator cap. Flush and refill/re-burp the system. Run it.