PDA

View Full Version : Cracked K Member-my new excuse

BryanL
04-16-2013, 11:36 PM
Here is the reason for checking your car out like Glenn in the previous post. I am assuming I will need to swap out the k member. I don't weld but those that do please take a look and let me know.

GlennCMC70
04-17-2013, 07:35 AM
It can be welded. Bring it over tonight, I'll do it.

ShadowBolt
04-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Caulk is all you need. Maybe some Superglue.

JJ

RichardP
04-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Caulk is all you need. Maybe some Superglue.

Really??? This is safety critical stuff. It needs at least JB Weld...

Richard P.

BryanL
04-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Since JJ would be behind me he is hoping it fails and takes out the front of the field so he can get a podium. No telling how it was affecting my alignment as the control arm bolt just slides around right in its slot. First noticed it checking the hubs.

On the immediate backside of the crack in the picture there is another tear in the weld that is perpendicular to this crack. On the other side of the k member or the nut side of the k member that holds the lower control arm the weld is starting to separate. Tear is right at the weld where there is a little stud sticking out with a bolt on it and the stud justs twists.

Is this a common failure point and a place that can be reinforced with a better weld? If I can get it to Glenn to weld it - How might this affect my alignment? I know I need to get it aligned but will they be able to align it correctly?

I'm thinking I'll just come down Friday without the race car and get it ready for Hallett.

marshall_mosty
04-18-2013, 09:31 AM
Drill holes on each side and use bailing wire to keep it together like a suture.

rleng1
04-18-2013, 11:15 AM
Bring the car, get the k member from Dulaney, and we can get it replaced and running friday night. 3 hrs max.

RichardP
04-18-2013, 11:44 AM
Bring the car, get the k member from Dulaney, and we can get it replaced and running friday night. 3 hrs max.

That sounds doable but, wow. Lifting it up and hitting it with a welder sounds so much easier...

Richard P.

ShadowBolt
04-18-2013, 12:05 PM
That sounds doable but, wow. Lifting it up and hitting it with a welder sounds so much easier...

Richard P.

We will help you any way we can BL.

JJ

BryanL
04-18-2013, 01:28 PM
I have thrown in the towel for having the race car this weekend. I will grace your presence on Friday and am glad to help with the Enduro, putting on brakes, or drinking your BL. Will leave sat evening. I'm bummed but glad I found it.

I agree with you Richard but when you don't have a welder, know how to weld, or have a trailer at your house - a 3 hour swap is less time/effort than taking it somewhere. I'll formulate a plan later to be ready for Hallett-the 55 can't touch me there.

Dulaney
04-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Is the k-member all that's stopping you?
I can help you out this evening. I can either drive to Justin to pick up my spare, or I can take your part to my house and weld it. Or, bring your car to my house in Euless and we'll weld it on the car. Or, if you have a 4-prong 220V dryer plug near your garage, I can bring my welder and do it there.

Or (last or), as Randy said, bring the car and we'll swap it at the track. Time to swap the part is less than the time to re-align the suspension.

If you want help, gimme a call/text. 817-271 -72eighty-eight

ShadowBolt
04-18-2013, 02:53 PM
I can help you out this evening. I can either drive to Justin to pick up my spare, or I can take your part to my house and weld it. Or, bring your car to my house in Euless and we'll weld it on the car. Or, if you have a 4-prong 220V dryer plug near your garage, I can bring my welder and do it there.

Or (last or), as Randy said, bring the car and we'll swap it at the track. Time to swap the part is less than the time to re-align the suspension.

Nice of you Jim but he is looking for a way to NOT run. You are screwing up his plan.

JJ

Dulaney
04-18-2013, 03:42 PM
I think we all have that from time to time. We just need someone to kick us in the ass and get us back to work.
Otherwise, we run the risk of taking a 4-year break, like DD.

RichardP
04-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Nice of you Jim but he is looking for a way to NOT run. You are screwing up his plan.

It's OK if he doesn't want to run. It is fun that within this group, structual failure of your suspension mounts is considered a lame excuse... :-)

Richard P.

Rsmith350
04-18-2013, 07:09 PM
It's OK if he doesn't want to run. It is fun that within this group, structual failure of your suspension mounts is considered a lame excuse... :-)

Richard P.good point Richard! Lol

BryanL
04-23-2013, 09:49 AM

Time and energy were what stopped me. Thanks for offering to help but looked like you had plenty to address on your car on Friday. Really appreciate your buddy picking up the k member and hauling it down. Then thanks to Glenn for bringing it back to weld up so I can just swap it out before Hallett. Can't wait to drive the car with a good alignment at Hallett!!

Awesome group of guys here!!

AllZWay
04-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Hey Brian... Thanks for the help pulling the waterpump on Saturday. Between, you, Jamie, Jerry, and I... we pulled it, cleaned the radiator, and put it all back in about 30 minutes.