Bryan Leinart
Bryan Curtis
Tommy Schlender
John Martin
Bob Denton
Al Fernandez

michaelmosty
05-21-2013, 02:02 PM
I talked with Balingit at the V8 Supercar race and he said lots of the Colorado CMC guys were talking about racing at Miller the same weekend instead of Hallett. I sure hope this isn't true.
With the great car count Colorado has been having I would think 25 cars is a given and 30 CMC cars isn't too far off.
I'm signing up now.

ShadowBolt
05-21-2013, 02:21 PM
I talked with Balingit at the V8 Supercar race and he said lots of the Colorado CMC guys were talking about racing at Miller the same weekend instead of Hallett. I sure hope this isn't true.
With the great car count Colorado has been having I would think 25 cars is a given and 30 CMC cars isn't too far off.
I'm signing up now.

Why would both be scheduled on the same weekend? That could not have been adjusted so that they are on different weekends?

JJ

AllZWay
05-21-2013, 02:26 PM
I'm signing up now.

Well that blows... I bet anyone that plans to run nationals would want to run that event for practice time.

kbrewmr2
05-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Why would both be schedules on the same weekend? That could not have been adjusted so that they are on different weekends?

JJ

Our regions are as close as makes no difference 1,500mi apart. I doubt it ever crossed Utah region's mind.

With as many Utah/Miller events as there are though I would hope the CO guys would skip that one, come to Hallett, and do a different Miller event instead.

rleng1
05-21-2013, 04:10 PM
That weekend is the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series. So I can see CMC cars attending that, but mostly from Texas.
I know Ryan Rahles is coming to Hallet, as well as the infamous RayBob, and Tommy. At least that is what they told me a month ago.

Rob Liebbe
05-21-2013, 04:18 PM
That weekend is the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series. So I can see CMC cars attending that, but mostly from Texas.
I know Ryan Rahles is coming to Hallet, as well as the infamous RayBob, and Tommy. At least that is what they told me a month ago.

Oh Wow! Off-Road Racing!!!!!!! http://vimeo.com/3290596

rleng1
05-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Now that is not funny. Make sure you tighten all bolts.
Most of the folks that are talking about Miller are GT and TT from RM.

MikeP99Z
05-31-2013, 04:24 PM
Git 'r dun people.

BlueFirePony
06-01-2013, 03:13 PM
We won't be making it so Connie has Garage 'B' open if anyone is interested...

BryanL
06-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Dibs

Trublu
06-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Bugger

rleng1
06-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Come on, lets get signed up. Where is Lienert, Landrum, Northrop, ad Stehle.
The RM boys and others are coming.

GlennCMC70
06-02-2013, 10:34 PM
I will not be there.

ShadowBolt
06-03-2013, 07:24 AM
I will not be there.

"The Bitch" will be sad to hear that. She had so many plans for you.

JJ

Rsmith350
06-03-2013, 08:16 AM
I will not be there.

Who's acting in your stead?

marshall_mosty
06-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Who's acting in your stead?

Although I can't fill the helmet as well as Glenn's big head, I'll do my best to keep our group of clowns under control... :)

AI#97
06-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Dibs

Got room for a couple cars and my big ass fan?

BryanL
06-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Come on, lets get signed up. Where is Lienert, Landrum, Northrop, ad Stehle.
The RM boys and others are coming.

Done-now someone reading this is running to the bathroom to take a lime green dump. K member is in but it's all only finger tight so I could move it which is hopefully why the right front felt wierd. Definitely needs a good alignment and plenty of other doodads to get it ready.

Looks like several RM boys are signed up.

Storm Trooper
06-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Although I can't fill the helmet as well as Glenn's big head, I'll do my best to keep our group of clowns under control... :)

I resemble that remark...lol

NASA13
06-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Is it too Late to add a Spec Iron class to the sign up sheet?
Its looking optimistic, but I am trying to get the car to Hallett whether its completely finished or not. I just want to get it legal and safe and then I will be there, may not be pretty yet.

MikeP99Z
06-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Just register. Fix your car info during registration or in your profile, and maybe list "Spec Iron" as the third car number.

nasa-rm
06-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Is it too Late to add a Spec Iron class to the sign up sheet?
Its looking optimistic, but I am trying to get the car to Hallett whether its completely finished or not. I just want to get it legal and safe and then I will be there, may not be pretty yet.

?? It's an option.

We are required to list all the classes even if no one has one in our region (i.e. Spec3, Honda Challenge, Factory Five, etc).

nasa-rm
06-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Looks like several RM boys are signed up.

And now the two fastest CMC are coming as of today. Tommy S and Flyin' Bryan Curtis.

Suck fumes
06-05-2013, 08:45 AM
What's makes them the fastest?

kbrewmr2
06-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Fastest from RM is what he probably meant. But you boys better sack up and beat 'em at Hallett if you want to be called the fastest period ;)

Suck fumes
06-05-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm Savin my car for the national championship but next year I'll prob race the spec iron car at hallet. See what all this hype is about haha.

michaelmosty
06-05-2013, 09:00 PM
I want to see Tommy race after a dozen Red Bulls / Vodka. Didn't look too chipper the next morning!! ;^)
I also think we need to try the golf cart wheelie's again like Nats 2010!!!

rleng1
06-05-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm Savin my car for the national championship but next year I'll prob race the spec iron car at hallet. See what all this hype is about haha.

Might want to come to Hallett and meet Crazy Tommy and Flyin Bryan.....they will be at nationals.

Suck fumes
06-05-2013, 10:15 PM
They drive camaros? Is one of them purple?

nasa-rm
06-05-2013, 10:41 PM
They drive camaros? Is one of them purple?

Green for Tommy.

Black for Bryan.

http://DavePhilipPhoto.zenfolio.com/p72763334/e5e3ac412

Suck fumes
06-06-2013, 07:28 AM
Yah I was watching them in some videos last night. That firebird side swiped that mustang coming onto the straight at one of those Colorado tracks.

Al Fernandez
06-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Hallett
Hallett
Hallett
Hallett

Gotta replace the clutch and figure out why the volts dropped to 7 or 8 during the last session and flip all of my tires and change the fluids but other than that I'm ready!!

rleng1
06-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Al, Sounds like you need Tem Wahoo. Let me know ifyou eyed help with the clutch.
Tommy drives the flying green chicken.
In that race the mustang didn't see Tommy coming high with run on him and pinched him into the wall. If that is the same race?
They are both solid drivers.
Suck fumes, wish you were coming to Hallet. You would make a great addition to the field, especially in the trophy girl class.

BADVENM
06-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Hallett
Hallett
Hallett
Hallett

Gotta replace the clutch and figure out why the volts dropped to 7 or 8 during the last session and flip all of my tires and change the fluids but other than that I'm ready!!

Hi. Not sure if its applicable to you but everytime we had a voltage drop it was because our cutoff switch went bad and the battery wouldnt keep a charge. We've gone through 3 of them in 7 years. I now carry a few as spares...just in case.

MikeP99Z
06-06-2013, 09:52 PM
That's nice. Are you going to register?

Hallett
Hallett
Hallett
Hallett

Fbody383
06-07-2013, 10:25 AM
That's nice. Are you going to register? I thought I saw him in Spec-German-Hatch... old habits I guess.

GlennCMC70
06-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Got this in an email from Dave.
If you feel otherwise, let him know.

Based on direct feedback as well as on FB, etc here is the plan. We will run 3 races for each of the four race groups (Thunder, Cyclone, Lightning & Blitz). Two shorter races on Saturday along with warm-up & qual. Sunday will have a 30'ish minute race starting fairly early in the day with a warm up. We should wrap up the main "Championship" races by 2PM or so.
After that, there will be an extra bonus charity race Sunday afternoon. It'll be done on the CW version of the track.
TT will have 4 sessions on Saturday and probably 3 on Sunday and be wrapped by that same early afternoon plan. Maybe one CW TT session on Sunday afternoon just for bragging rights?

RichardP
06-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Got this in an email from Dave.
If you feel otherwise, let him know.

Based on direct feedback as well as on FB, etc here is the plan. We will run 3 races for each of the four race groups (Thunder, Cyclone, Lightning & Blitz). Two shorter races on Saturday along with warm-up & qual. Sunday will have a 30'ish minute race starting fairly early in the day with a warm up. We should wrap up the main "Championship" races by 2PM or so.
After that, there will be an extra bonus charity race Sunday afternoon. It'll be done on the CW version of the track.
TT will have 4 sessions on Saturday and probably 3 on Sunday and be wrapped by that same early afternoon plan. Maybe one CW TT session on Sunday afternoon just for bragging rights?

I like the previous four race shootout format. The bonus charity race on Saturday is always a lightly attended event but I think it's a good thing. The same thing on Sunday after everything else is done will be an absolute ghost town...

Richard P.

ShadowBolt
06-07-2013, 01:17 PM
I like the previous four race shootout format. The bonus charity race on Saturday is always a lightly attended event but I think it's a good thing. The same thing on Sunday after everything else is done will be an absolute ghost town...

Richard P.

So we are going to drive all that way to Hallett and get one less race for the weekend? I for one am not happy with this at all. I know NASA could care less about Team drivers but this means I'm going to spend a fortune in fuel, camping fees, garage (Race Port) fees and drive hundreds of miles each way and one of us is going to get to race only one race? Why? What was wrong with what we have done the last few years? I like getting out of there as soon as possible but the reason we go to Hallett is to get to drive the car. WOW. I'm very disappointed. I'm not sure I really want to go now. Driving the RV 18 hours (870 miles round trip) for 30 minutes in the race car? I hope I'm wrong and we are running four races. The last race does not have to be 45 minutes long but.......

A charity race Sunday afternoon will not have a single Colorado or Texas car in it unless they are staying over Sunday night and going home Monday.

JJ

ShadowBolt
06-07-2013, 01:32 PM
So it's no longer the Summer Shootout. It's now less than a normal race weekend. I usually get home around 2:00 AM and I still go to work the next day at 7:00 AM.......and I'm old as dirt.

Most of the CMC group wants this? A majority?

JJ

MikeP99Z
06-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Send a note to Dave. The schedule hasn't been finalized, various topics are being discussed.

nasa-rm
06-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Don't send me any messages.

If you guys want 4 short races as normal, 4 is fine. The other groups felt differently.

When I am gone from Texas and someone else is running the show, get used to 2 races per weekend. That is pretty standard across all NASA regions.

smitty328
06-07-2013, 02:26 PM
I will gladly race in the charity race on Saturday if it means we’ll get a 4th race on Sunday.

I’m probably not the only one who feels this way.

It was hard for me to convince myself to miss a big event at work on that weekend, but if it's only three races, I might have to reconsider.

smitty328
06-07-2013, 02:41 PM

If you guys want 4 short races as normal, 4 is fine. The other groups felt differently.

When I am gone from Texas and someone else is running the show, get used to 2 races per weekend. That is pretty standard across all NASA regions.

Really? That sucks.

Please don't leave!

ShadowBolt
06-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Really? That sucks.

Please don't leave!

I agree. Please don't leave Dave. We have had four races for many years.

It's not something you should change for me but I'm betting 95% of the CMC guys would rather have four races even if they are shorter races. If our fourth race started at 2:00 PM we would still be finished sooner than normal.

Only two races per weekend would be the straw that broke my back.

JJ

kbrewmr2
06-07-2013, 02:50 PM
3 races is all you get for NASA Nationals fwiw. And that's over 4 days of event, 1,000+ mi away, and a $500+ entry too. Just offering perspective :)

I also don't see the race groups changing from a 2 short and 1 long or 4 short race format anytime soon - we don't have enough DE people to take over that much of the schedule yet.

RichardP
06-07-2013, 02:57 PM
3 races is all you get for NASA Nationals fwiw. And that's over 4 days too. Just offering perspective :)

Any you can see how many AI/CMC guys from here attend...

Richard P.

kbrewmr2
06-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Any you can see how many AI/CMC guys from here used to attend...

Richard P.

fixed that for you

ShadowBolt
06-07-2013, 03:01 PM
3 races is all you get for NASA Nationals fwiw. And that's over 4 days of event, 1,000+ mi away, and a $500+ entry too. Just offering perspective :)

I also don't see the race groups changing from a 2 short and 1 long or 4 short race format anytime soon - we don't have enough DE people to take over that much of the schedule yet.

The last two years Hallett has been a Nationals format for CMC. The last race has been 40 or 45 minutes. I don't think many positions change in the last ten minutes.

JJ

nasa-rm
06-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Keep in mind that I am joining y'all in CMC on that weekend. So it affects me too!!!!

ShadowBolt
06-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Keep in mind that I am joining y'all in CMC on that weekend. So it affects me too!!!!

Did you buy your old car back?

JJ

Suck fumes
06-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Yep

nasa-rm
06-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Yep, but I am currently signed up as Team Trickle. Not sure if Tyler will be ready for Hallett or not.

BryanL
06-07-2013, 04:07 PM

I vote for the same 4 race Summer Shootout format we have done the last several years, but I won't send Dave a message since he asked. I also vote that Dave doesn't leave. Also, do I have to log into FB to follow yet another online forum to find out what is going on? I always thought the only other place I needed to check was the TEXAS forum on the nat site which hasn't had anything mentioned about the format. As a suggestion what if a racer's SuperSize entry fee went to charity?
I guess I'm slow like Jerry-but if it's only 3 races that certainly takes some of my motivation away to get the car ready-I could just go spend my 40th on Lake Texoma.

ShadowBolt
06-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Yep, but I am currently signed up as Team Trickle. Not sure if Tyler will be ready for Hallett or not.

I did not know who Team Trickle was but I assumed it was a tribute to the late Dick Trickle.

JJ

nasa-rm
06-07-2013, 04:28 PM
When I say, FB I mean from the other race groups and classes. Spec986, Blitz, SpecMiata, etc. They want different things, so I was just trying to blend and make the schedule flow better.

Here is the layout for Thunder right now.

Saturday

8:20 AM 0:20 Thunder Warm Up

10:45 AM 0:15 Thunder Qualifying

1:20 PM 0:25 Thunder Race #1

3:50 PM 0:25 Thunder Race #2

5:40 PM 0:20 Charity Race - Clockwise Session!!!

Sunday

8:50 AM 0:20 Thunder & Blitz Warm Up

10:05 AM 0:25 Thunder Race #3 (you guys pick starting order in your Saturday meeting, Saturday Qual times, Times from Race #2, good looks, car #, bribes, etc).

1:25 PM 0:25 Thunder Championship Race

MikeP99Z
06-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Standing start Race 1 and Race 4?

smitty328
06-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Last year I had a hard time standing after Saturday night.

ShadowBolt
06-07-2013, 05:15 PM
When I say, FB I mean from the other race groups and classes. Spec986, Blitz, SpecMiata, etc. They want different things, so I was just trying to blend and make the schedule flow better.

Here is the layout for Thunder right now.

Saturday

8:20 AM 0:20 Thunder Warm Up

10:45 AM 0:15 Thunder Qualifying

1:20 PM 0:25 Thunder Race #1

3:50 PM 0:25 Thunder Race #2

5:40 PM 0:20 Charity Race - Clockwise Session!!!

Sunday

8:50 AM 0:20 Thunder & Blitz Warm Up

10:05 AM 0:25 Thunder Race #3 (you guys pick starting order in your Saturday meeting, Saturday Qual times, Times from Race #2, good looks, car #, bribes, etc).

1:25 PM 0:25 Thunder Championship Race

Thanks Dave!

rleng1
06-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Good call Dave. We love you and don't leave or go anywhere.
If it is all about the charity, you will get 20x more entries on a Saturday afternoon charity race than a Sunday afternoon, if you promote it.
The format you propose will definitely hurt the race teams that are involved. Not sure how many other run groups have teams involved, but I agree with Jerry on that one.
We have all made plans and don't need to finish early Sunday. We have long hauls, and have planned accordingly.
I'm sure most will agree, a 30 min champ race will suffice.
I like the Saturday evening charity race. It's fun to laugh at each other over dinner and a mug of choice. I particularly liked the one pit stop driver swap. It's a race, but not that serious.
By the way, what is the charity, and I am sure we can get a large field to participate.
Thanks again for all you do, this Bud is for you.

smitty328
06-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks Dave!

Count me in for the charity race

nasa-rm
06-07-2013, 06:01 PM
No worries. I am not going anywhere soon.

I never really intended for Thunder to only have 3 races, just looking for feedback. When I send an email out to my series and race directors, I don't really mean for it to be published for all to see and comment on. As you can see from the prelim schedule, all race groups have 4 races. Some race groups asked for 3 - I got carried away and added Thunder to that list to see if there was much interest.

As for charity direction, most likely to benefit the central OK areas that have been affected by the May tornadoes.

Al Fernandez
06-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Hi. Not sure if its applicable to you but everytime we had a voltage drop it was because our cutoff switch went bad and the battery wouldnt keep a charge. We've gone through 3 of them in 7 years. I now carry a few as spares...just in case.

I'll check that. The alternator excitation circuit also goes through the switch :/

Al Fernandez
06-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Dave, I would suggest 20 minutes for race three in exchange for a 30 minute championship race.

Races 1 and 4 definitely standing start. Races 2 and 3 inverted. Grid for race 4 based on cumulative points from the prior 3; the classic Summer Shootout layout

rleng1
06-07-2013, 06:33 PM
The Summer Shootout Lives. WAHOO!!!

ShadowBolt
06-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Dave, I would suggest 20 minutes for race three in exchange for a 30 minute championship race.

Races 1 and 4 definitely standing start. Races 2 and 3 inverted. Grid for race 4 based on cumulative points from the prior 3; the classic Summer Shootout layout

Or do we really need 20 minute warm-ups? What about 15 minute warm-ups and five minute longer races? I don't care. Just happy to have four races. If we had 20 minute races last year I would have won my first race.
JJ

BlueFirePony
06-08-2013, 06:44 PM
The last two years Hallett has been a Nationals format for CMC. The last race has been 40 or 45 minutes. I don't think many positions change in the last ten minutes.

JJ
Different perspective for me...10 minute shorter race and myLaps would show basically the same outcome but in 2011 the race for the final podium spot was hotly contested between Eddie, Jim and myself for the last 5 minutes with tires wearing off and tanks getting lighter...I think Eddie and I change positions 5 times in the last few laps. It took me most of the second half of the race to get close enough to pass Eddie and make it even remotely interesting. Eddie passed me for the spot for good on the last lap after The Bitch and then Jim took 4th from me on the last turn turn of the last lap. That was some of the most fun ever.

marshall_mosty
06-08-2013, 10:17 PM
I'm in for the charity race and vote for shorter practice to augement the race time. I'd like a 40 minutes "shootout". It's better for folks to learn patience and car/tire conservation.

michaelmosty
06-09-2013, 10:22 AM
However we get the 4 races, I'm good with. About to head to the shop to work about 8 hours on the car, can't wait for Hallett!!!

marshall_mosty
06-09-2013, 06:30 PM
#67 is alive. All buttoned up. Ended up putting a new exhaust valve and guide in #4.

Replaced the passenger rotor ring after 4 full seasons. Also found a severely bent wheel. Not sure when that happened, but it's been replaced with a spare. Have a new set of 5/32's on the car.

Not sure on the ABS, so I have dual dyno stickers and will just dump ballast if I can't get it to work. For my power level, it works out right at 160lbs. I'm carrying 200, so no worries here. Not sure if the bent wheel caused the system to go wacho or what.

I'm going to have to wire in a 2011-2012 PCM to act as a slave "storage" unit for the HCU to dump codes to. Connecting the scanner to the existing setup netted nothing.

All in all, I think it's ready. I'm excited!!

AI#97
06-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Not sure on the ABS, so I have dual dyno stickers and will just dump ballast if I can't get it to work. For my power level, it works out right at 160lbs. I'm carrying 200, so no worries here. Not sure if the bent wheel caused the system to go wacho or what.

I'm going to have to wire in a 2011-2012 PCM to act as a slave "storage" unit for the HCU to dump codes to. Connecting the scanner to the existing setup netted nothing.

All in all, I think it's ready. I'm excited!!

Marshall, what problems are you having with the ABS? I too was having issues the two times I have had it on track where it would sometimes lock, and sometimes wouldn't. I figured it was the fact I was powering the unit through a combo of the factory CCRM and non-factory power. that is all changed now that the entire car is custom wiring and that I also have a 2011 PCM in the car!

PM your findings or concerns and maybe we can compare notes on what is working and what isn't.

kbrewmr2
06-10-2013, 11:04 AM
almost a 30 car group - will you guys even fit on the front stretch for the standing start???!?

Fbody383
06-10-2013, 03:15 PM
almost a 30 car group - will you guys even fit on the front stretch for the standing start???!? It all depends on how you define fit. From experience I know the front straight is at least 4 cars wide.

kbrewmr2
06-10-2013, 03:27 PM
heh true - I was thinking if there would be enough length of track between S/F and the last corner to do 15 rows of cars...

MikeP99Z
06-10-2013, 06:32 PM
I think we had 34 one year, and the last 4-6 cars were bending around the corner.

We could always do a split standing start if we get some more entries.

marshall_mosty
06-10-2013, 10:21 PM
AI drivers,
I've been informed that at this crossover event, there may be a central region AI driver that races with hand controls and standing starts would be really difficult. It's not a done deal, but "we" as a collective group need to be understanding of drivers that may need special concessions...

Just start thinking of maybe a very slow rolling green for AI and then CMC form up and do a quick standing start???

Anyway, we'll know more at the event, so AI guys, be prepared for either "style" of start.

GlennCMC70
06-10-2013, 10:32 PM
AI drivers,
I've been informed that at this crossover event, there may be a central region AI driver that races with hand controls and standing starts would be really difficult. It's not a done deal, but "we" as a collective group need to be understanding of drivers that may need special concessions...

Just start thinking of maybe a very slow rolling green for AI and then CMC form up and do a quick standing start???

Anyway, we'll know more at the event, so AI guys, be prepared for either "style" of start.

I love this group. Do what it takes guys.

smitty328
06-10-2013, 10:43 PM
AI drivers,

That is so cool!

I hope he or she comes.

Alien
06-11-2013, 12:11 PM

Just a logistics suggestion... Would it be possible to throw the green for AI from the corner station after turn one but before the crest of the hill? That would give CMC that little extra time to grid up.

Dulaney
06-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Here's an update on my status:
Got my new transmission last week from Joe Dederichs (he delivered it to my house!)
Also got shortened driveshaft last week, and had Richard's Machine Shop put new bearings/races in my rear diff.
Picked up the engine on Sunday from HKE (in Houston). Got to drive in the rain, again! Luckily the engine was dry when I got it back to Dallas.
I've almost got it ready to go back into the car (probably tomorrow evening). Waiting on remote shifter parts from my machinist, so that could delay when the car is technically drivable, but shouldn't keep me from the dyno early next week.

Everything is so clean, it hardly seems like I'm working on my own car! Tried to attach a picture, but it won't let me.
http://design-base.net/personal/Engine_trans.jpg

Casey_SS
06-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Wow Jim. Didn't realize you were redoing the ENTIRE drivetrain! Lotta work but sounds like it'll be nice and bulletproof when you're done though. Very glad to hear it's all coming together for you :)

Dulaney
06-11-2013, 01:58 PM
I'm tired of breaking something almost every weekend, so I decided to go crazy all at once, in an attempt to make a more reliable car and fix some of its little issues. Pretty depressed after NOLA explosion stripped me of my points lead.
If the 5th gear ratio works out (.80), I'll be one happy camper. If I can shift into reverse while strapped into my harness, equally happy. If the engine lasts more than a season....all this money will be well spent.

marshall_mosty
06-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Just a logistics suggestion... Would it be possible to throw the green for AI from the corner station after turn one but before the crest of the hill? That would give CMC that little extra time to grid up.

Gary, good idea... We'll definitely discuss it, but I don't see why not.

marshall_mosty
06-12-2013, 05:16 AM
Very cool jim!! My rebuild was a bit lower key will all the same olf "stuff" that was in there before. Sucks when you can pull the engine all by yourself and have it pulled all the way down to a shortblock in 3 hours... I've done this too many times.

Hopefully I can get more than 10 laps out of this "redo"... I too was frustrated after NOLA, but mine was more due to a 15-month "off period" due to blown motors and blown shoulders...

BryanL
06-12-2013, 03:18 PM
So is anyone else planning to come that hasn't signed up yet? Overall attendace is great but that's due to all the out of region dudes. Where is everyone else? No reason we shouldn't be over 20 in CMC and over 10 in AI!

Rsmith350
06-12-2013, 05:05 PM
So is anyone else planning to come that hasn't signed up yet? Overall attendace is great but that's due to all the out of region dudes. Where is everyone else? No reason we shouldn't be over 20 in CMC and over 10 in AI!

Good point

nasa-rm
06-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Where are all of the Austin AI rookies? I know James is out with his foot/ankle/leg injury.

Dulaney
06-13-2013, 12:38 AM
Where are all of the Austin AI rookies? I know James is out with his foot/ankle/leg injury.

The others (white fox body team) don't have their cars ready. They want to come as a group, not individually. We somehow need to convince them that we're their group, so it's ok to be 'alone'. They're also not active i the forum, so I highly doubt they'll hear your call

Dulaney
06-13-2013, 12:46 AM
Noticed a crack in my block where the bellhousing bolts on, late last night. Unbolted the bell housing, and a huge chunk fell off. Was super pissed.
Took it to my aluminum welder, Doug Morrison in Gainseville. He did a fabulous job fixing it, and I have no concerns about it being weak.

Unfortunately, all of that drama meant that I don't have the engine in the car yet. It's back on the k-member, and I tried to install the tranny, but I'm too weak from days of this, so I'll try again tomorrow.

Dulaney
06-13-2013, 12:53 AM
Note that second pic was taken in progress. We chamfered the broken edge inside and out, then bolted the piece to the bellhousing, and the bell to the block. He left the corners intact for alignment purposes at that step. Then, he welded that strip on the outside, plus part of what could be accessed from the inside.
Removed the bellhousing, and he used a die grinder to carve out the remaining crack, and welded it.

When it was all done, it was a fully welded joint, not just a flimsy top-coat over the 1/2" cast aluminum. He carved it all out and welded it. I couldn't be happier.

marshall_mosty
06-13-2013, 06:15 AM
Jim and I are the only folks in the group that have been to Doug's shop, but it a shop/ museum combo. He's a drag racing guy, but will work on anything. He's done all the stanchions on the Fulcrum wings, if I'm not mistaken.

Jim, I'm glad you got it fixed, but the round trip from your place to Doug's ( plus fab time) I'm sure sucked up the entire day... Sorry dude.

BlueFirePony
06-13-2013, 09:56 AM
The others (white fox body team) don't have their cars ready. They want to come as a group, not individually. We somehow need to convince them that we're their group, so it's ok to be 'alone'. They're also not active i the forum, so I highly doubt they'll hear your call
Sounds like beers and burgers in Austin then!?
We're thinking about a road trip to Austin for sometime in the next month or so once we get Anna's car road-trip worthy(was out of the garage for a quick test spin the other day...found a few issues we need to resolve).

Dulaney
06-13-2013, 01:45 PM
Two of the white Fox body team actually live in San Antonio and New Braunfels. One lives in Dallas, I think. Not sure on James.

I'll put some pressure on Mike Montgomery to bring out his squad at TWS, and I'll re-ask him about Hallett.

MikeS
06-14-2013, 12:37 AM
Anyone else staying at the Hampton Inn at Sand Springs? That's about 30 mins from the track. My wife's uncle is in the hospital so the RV isn't happening. He'll be fine, for the record.

Dulaney
06-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Across the street in the Best Western. I've stayed in the Hampton Inn twice, and it's nice.

David Love AI27
06-16-2013, 10:37 PM

I'm in New Mexico... Looking to hookup with RM next year and maybe make a few Texas events and hopefully Hallett...

Get your practice in before LiiR comes back...

BryanL
06-17-2013, 02:33 PM
IT'S TIME!! Assuming my alignment and a handful of other things come together this week the #24 should be in it's best shape ever! Thanks to one of my multiple crew chiefs I have enough ballast to be legal, too-if only I could get my lead crew chief to make the event. Even with the added weight I'm feeling nimble for the weekend but we will see how it is after I raise it up a little for my special summer shootout setup (say it 3 times fast at the strike of midnight saturday night). I'll also be cool as a cucumber if Clifton remembers to bring my radiator. All of this really doesn't bode well for another driver who is also feeling pretty cocky right now. Granted he has done a great job of getting down to fighting weight which I am happy for him. It will just break my heart to see him scratching his head and wondering what he has to do to catch up.....

Seriously, this looks like a pretty strong field and great to have some out of towners coming that think they can run with the trophy girls-heck, right now I feel like I can run with them so much so that I'm looking to follow up last year with another top 5! I'm going to make that fox body cowboy feel like he is wearing his white outfit on Grinder cause I'm going to be all over his rear. For a mid pack slacker getting in the top 10 will be a good weekend though. If you are sitting on the fence about coming you are going to miss an awesome weekend. There are still some guys missing that I hope end up showing up to get us over 20.

Everyone remember to gas and beer up in Texas since it's all watered down in OK-I'm not making that mistake this year. See you at the Mike Stephens Circle!!!

ShadowBolt
06-17-2013, 07:32 PM
IT'S TIME!! Assuming my alignment and a handful of other things come together this week the #24 should be in it's best shape ever! Thanks to one of my multiple crew chiefs I have enough ballast to be legal, too-if only I could get my lead crew chief to make the event. Even with the added weight I'm feeling nimble for the weekend but we will see how it is after I raise it up a little for my special summer shootout setup (say it 3 times fast at the strike of midnight saturday night). I'll also be cool as a cucumber if Clifton remembers to bring my radiator. All of this really doesn't bode well for another driver who is also feeling pretty cocky right now. Granted he has done a great job of getting down to fighting weight which I am happy for him. It will just break my heart to see him scratching his head and wondering what he has to do to catch up.....

Seriously, this looks like a pretty strong field and great to have some out of towners coming that think they can run with the trophy girls-heck, right now I feel like I can run with them so much so that I'm looking to follow up last year with another top 5! I'm going to make that fox body cowboy feel like he is wearing his white outfit on Grinder cause I'm going to be all over his rear. For a mid pack slacker getting in the top 10 will be a good weekend though. If you are sitting on the fence about coming you are going to miss an awesome weekend. There are still some guys missing that I hope end up showing up to get us over 20.

Everyone remember to gas and beer up in Texas since it's all watered down in OK-I'm not making that mistake this year. See you at the Mike Stephens Circle!!!

I just hope my car will start.

JJ

BryanL
06-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Dang it jj. You just jinxed me. That is the one accessory I don't have a spare for. Guess I better get one now.