PDA

View Full Version : Coil over mods

Rsmith350
07-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Need some one to take a look at this and say yes or no for a fourth gen

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=16448

Pranav
07-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Springs are soft. Don't pay that much for that stuff, this is what I got and couldn't be happier:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006K8TD3G/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2T1_ST1_dp_1

Only thing is, I could'nt figure out how the top hats worked so I set them aside and let the springs go straight up against the stock rubber upper mounts. Can't see any scratches from the spring moving around so it seems to work good.

Pranav
07-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Are you running Konis or what?

AllZWay
07-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Unless you were going to use those springs... which like Pranav said are too soft for racing.... then I wouldn't go that route. The coil over kits are cheap and you just need to buy the right springs.

And until you decide on shocks.. you can't really choose your coilover kit.

http://pitstopusa.com/c-132495-shock-absorbers-shock-parts-accessories-coil-over-kits.html

I could give exact part numbers for the coil over kit for Bilstein HD's and Bilstein racing shocks.

Fbody383
07-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Springs are soft. Don't pay that much for that stuff, this is what I got and couldn't be happier:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006K8TD3G/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2T1_ST1_dp_1

Only thing is, I could'nt figure out how the top hats worked so I set them aside and let the springs go straight up against the stock rubber upper mounts. Can't see any scratches from the spring moving around so it seems to work good. I used the Koni sleeves with not top hat like Pranav - eventually you will get some marks on the threaded sleeve. Maybe it's from going off too much.

Let me know if you want to come by and look at a slow car... on second thought, get some pictures from James.

mitchntx
07-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Need some one to take a look at this and say yes or no for a fourth gen

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=16448

When will you learn to ask me first?

I have a wide selection of 2.5" springs in various lengths and rates along with various rates of 5.5(?)" pigtail springs.

If you don't mind the wait, I have Koni DAs that need rebuilding. One of the fronts has a shaft that was twisted off when the upper nut was rusted on.

Available for an incredibly low price ...

Rsmith350
07-23-2013, 05:54 PM
When will you learn to ask me first?

I have a wide selection of 2.5" springs in various lengths and rates along with various rates of 5.5(?)" pigtail springs.

If you don't mind the wait, I have Koni DAs that need rebuilding. One of the fronts has a shaft that was twisted off when the upper nut was rusted on.

Available for an incredibly low price ...
I'll be in touch! Mitch is one of my sponsors :)

Rsmith350
09-24-2013, 02:29 PM
So here's a string of questions, what coil over conversions will fit Koni's 5", 5 1/2"? Have a set of SA and DA, would they be different conversions? Plan on running 750 front, 250 back to start, thoughts?

GlennCMC70
09-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Email me Ross. Email addy is on the back of the rules.

y5e06
09-24-2013, 02:40 PM
for coil overs you are talking the fronts only. So then you're looking at 2.5" springs. anything 5"-ish is for various dirt track coil over compoents (or rear) and would take up WAY too much room in the front.... might not even get the tires on.
There should be no difference in which coil-over kit you would choose for either koni single or doubles. the body diameters are the same, they are meant to fit the factory lower perch for either one.
I would think the original koni valving would not work well with spring rates in that range.

Rsmith350
09-24-2013, 04:20 PM
I would think the original koni valving would not work well with spring rates in that range.

Too stiff for the way they come? So I'm looking at custom valving to use stiffer spring rates? And these guy wanna complain about wheels!? Lol

GlennCMC70
09-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Too stiff for the way they come? So I'm looking at custom valving to use stiffer spring rates? And these guy wanna complain about wheels!? Lol

It will be fine. While not ideal, you will not know the difference at first.
Koni DA's are designed around the OEM spring rate. Since OEM rates are soft, my bet is they planned to use the shocks to make-up for that. Bet they are plenty stiff on the upper end of the adjustment range. I ran non-adjustable Bistien HD OEM replacements for a couple years w/ no issues. Won plenty of races back then (05-06). DA's are way better than Bilstiens w/ regards to dampening. Run w/ what you got for now Ross.

Later on you can upgrade to what I have for $200 per shock.

Rsmith350
09-26-2013, 12:19 PM
This may be an uber stupid question but every spring I find or "coil over kit" doesn't say whether it comes with two springs or for both front wheels. I don't wanna order two set of all of this?

GlennCMC70
09-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Springs are sold each. You can always just call them.
Your looking at about $100 or less a pair.