View Full Version : 2014 NASA Nationals Annouced

kbrewmr2
11-04-2013, 09:23 AM
http://www.nasaproracing.com/2013/11/nasa-expands-championships-to.html

East Coast Nats @ Road Atlanta Aug 29-31
West Coast Nats @ Sonoma Nov 7-9

AllZWay
11-04-2013, 09:31 AM
That is pretty interesting...but dual National Champions sounds a bit odd.

Fbody383
11-04-2013, 09:34 AM
That is pretty interesting...but dual National Champions sounds a bit odd.
Crap... I penciled that in on the calendar; might need some Orange and 16s at Nationals.

kbrewmr2
11-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Erhmagherd change! LOL!

I'm optimisitic that this will increase turnout, and that winning one or both will mean just as much as winning one when there was only one.

BlueFirePony
11-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Need to get Kyri and my brother-in-law to schedule time off in August - best laid plans of mice and race car drivers. That's a pretty long tow to Cali from anywhere in Texas (+6-7 hours longer than Miller?)

kbrewmr2
11-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Houston - RAtl = 846mi, 12hr 4min
Houston - Sonoma = 1945mi, 27hrs

Dallas - RAtl = 834mi, 11hr 59min
Dallas - Sonoma = 1748mi, 25hrs

I'm spending what I'm going to save by not driving an additional 2200mi round trip on more sticker tires and beer and going to Road Atlanta. YMMV.

Suck fumes
11-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Once again central U.S people get shafted. Having two races kind of takes away the prestige of being a champion cause the better guys may only go to one event. They should have a national weekend for ONLY past champions! That would be cool.

BlueFirePony
11-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Once again central U.S people get shafted. Having two races kind of takes away the prestige of being a champion cause the better guys may only go to one event. They should have a national weekend for ONLY past champions! That would be cool.
Expecting that Texas folks could pick either Nat, while its not a King of the hill thing, having a Championship within a day's driving definitely makes it easier for folks from Texas to get a bite of the apple. And RA is on a lot of peoples lists of preferred tracks. Now we (royal "we" until I replace BFP) have TWO championships - the Summer Shootout and the East Coast Nats (uhmmm..yeh, that's is kinda weird). Please tell me that regional points allow you to pick which one you go to...if its Texas = West coast only then yeah that sucks the big one!

michaelmosty
11-04-2013, 12:52 PM
First impression is this sounds weak...

kbrewmr2
11-04-2013, 12:55 PM
I was kinda "dang half championship" at first until I read this (and agree with it)

Let’s be honest here, it’s hardly ever a national championship anyways. At this level few people can afford to take off a full week, tow 2000+ miles for a plastic trophy. Most times the only drivers that showed up were the ones closer to the track the championship was being held at. This was painfully obvious at this past national event where several classes didn't even run because no one showed up, and even the ones that did were painfully low on participation and missing most of the east coast drivers.

It would be different if this was a pro series.

2013 FFRC Brokeness
2012 FFRC NASA-SE Champion
2011 FFRC NASA-SE Champion
MH-Motorsports

the Race of Champions later on sounds really fun... put a bunch of class winners in MX5 Cup Cars and duke it out:
http://www.nasaproracing.com/2013/11/mazda-offers-nasa-champions-ch.html

They should have a national weekend for ONLY past champions! That would be cool.
Easy to say when you've already got yours.... and then there's the whole where do you hold it thing, etc, etc

BlueFirePony
11-04-2013, 01:04 PM
First impression is this sounds weak...

It's got a strange feel to it, but I think it makes a lot of sense for NASA to do this - and if they rotate yearly like they state in the announcement, it gives them a lot of flexibility to cater to the *active* demographic every year. If Central folks don't head to RA in droves next year (again, assuming you can pick one or even both) then NASA moves the East coast location up and maybe east. If Sonoma is not a big draw, then maybe Miller gets 2015. If COTA becomes viable then NASA can pick it and still have a location on hand for folks that don't want to see the beauty of central Texas.

Racebrat
11-04-2013, 01:49 PM
It is my understanding that you can go to either East or West Championship weekend...or both if your checkbook allows! I'll verify and get back to you

UPDATE:

Just heard back from Will- you can do both or either!

Suck fumes
11-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Do you get double prizes if you win both?

edrock96GT
11-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Maybe it's because I'm a football fan, but to me "National Champion" should consist of regional champions (or top 3, 4, 5, etc. for "wildcards") competing against each other for the title of national champion. The event could be open to anyone willing to pay the fee and make the haul, but the only ones competing for the national prize are the ones selected from their respective regions to compete. That should also discourage "X" Continental Tire team from making the required 5 races and showing up to take all the prize money that really isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to what they spent to make the event (I'm not saying that they all do, but it would force a season long commitment to be able to qualify).
I know that the current intent is to accommodate racers that have attended enough events to qualify and at the same time not alienate those that finish well regionally but can't schedule nationals and all that but let's be real about what nationals has become. It's a venue for those with the least distance to travel or the most money to spend to come compete for prizes that we don't get regionally and "national champion" is nothing more than "guy who planned and budgeted to go to nationals this year and did better than the other guys that did the same".
If we want to promote the series a little better, NASA should provide incentive for regional champs to attend that might make the scheduling of the event worth while. Something other than taking a week off of work and spending $999 plus travel expenses to come watch a pro team snatch all the prize money.

Waco Racer
11-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Do you get double prizes if you win both?

Some sponsors may offer a double up bonus.

BlueFirePony
11-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Worst case: think of this as an optional race weekend to get your fix, at a track you might not get to very often, within a days drive, where the competition level might be amped up a tad and at the end of the weekend you've met and raced against some new folks. For an amateur sporting association, this dual location thing makes the affinity for racing and the aspiration of being a "winner" far more inviting that promoting a championship that is out of reach (skill, $, time, etc.) for 90% of its demographic. Who knows, maybe this will be less of an incentive for the pro teams from attending and open up a whole new era of growth for the amateurs. I applaud NASA for taking this step - hope I can take advantage of it next year. 'nuff said.

nasa-rm
11-04-2013, 02:52 PM
It's got a strange feel ea00it, but I think it makes a lot of sense for NASA to do this - and if they rotate yearly like they state in the announcement, it gives them a lot of flexibility to cater to the *active* demographic every year. If Central folks don't head to RA in droves next year (again, assuming you can pick one or even both) then NASA moves the East coast location up and maybe east. If Sonoma is not a big draw, then maybe Miller gets 2015. If COTA becomes viable then NASA can pick it and still have a location on hand for folks that don't want to see the beauty of central Texas.

Bingo.

This makes COTA, NOLA, Barber, etc eligible for 2015. I would think Texans will be pretty jazzed about a 1/2 day tow to nationals.

I will most likely race both next year and go for double championships on each coast. And then race in our version of IROC.

ShadowBolt
11-04-2013, 04:02 PM
I know Dave will be shocked but I really like this idea. I thought RA was a lot closer. If I looked correctly just 4.5 hours less then Mid Ohio.

JJ

nasa-rm
11-04-2013, 04:13 PM
I know Dave will be shocked but I really like this idea. I thought RA was a lot closer. If I looked correctly just 4.5 hours less then Mid Ohio.

JJ

No surprise. LOL.

I love the idea that it moves every year. This is what Ive been advocating for since the 3rd year at Midohio. Every region with a track capable of holding the champs will get a chance to host and sleep in their own beds.

Suck fumes
11-04-2013, 04:26 PM
COTA is getting greedy so it may be hard to land that place. SCCA was going to run another event there in march then COTA decided to raise their weekend rental fee from $120k to $300k due to how many people showed last year. Kinda messed up.

ShadowBolt
11-04-2013, 04:52 PM
COTA is getting greedy so it may be hard to land that place. SCCA was going to run another event there in march then COTA decided to raise their weekend rental fee from $120k to $300k due to how many people showed last year. Kinda messed up.

Screw COTA. I just hate the fact that we all supported the idea of the track. I wonder if we would have been so happy about it if we had known they were not going to give a shit about club racing?

JJ

Fbody383
11-04-2013, 04:54 PM
COTA is getting greedy so it may be hard to land that place. SCCA was going to run another event there in march then COTA decided to raise their weekend rental fee from $120k to $300k due to how many people showed last year. Kinda messed up. Cool; next offer will be $50k after NOBODY shows up for a $1k entry fee event... but they're probably not running AI/CMC anyway...

BlueFirePony
11-04-2013, 05:01 PM

While COTA have several other big series and events on the schedule, they pissed Bernie off by screwing Hellmund over, so Bernie has positioned both NJ and Mexico City GPs (remember when Bernie said no more street circuits, only permanent dedicated circuits) to really sap COTAs F1 attendance and it could go down hill from there if they keep up being a$$ hats. Of course NJ and Mexico could fall through and then COTA will just be harder to deal with after that. In the end, Jerry you are right, kinda messed up.

Suck fumes
11-04-2013, 05:19 PM
The track investors have already made their $300 mil back so everything now is just profit and they can be as picky as they want. The X games will bring huge money in for them for the next 3 yrs.

y5e06
11-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Cool; next offer will be $50k after NOBODY shows up for a $1k entry fee event... but they're probably not running AI/CMC anyway...

heh, i am on their [COTA] email/phone list and last couple was for a 'track day'. When I called them back I responded with an uncontrollable "what? I'm sorry? I didn't hear that".... it was $2500 for ONE DAY PER DRIVER

We're going to F1 this year, but with V8 supers gone there is diminishing interest in attending events given the ownership.

Suck fumes
11-04-2013, 05:33 PM
The track really is an amazing place to race. It flows really well and has tons of room to pass. Just sucks they are so snobby.

kbrewmr2
11-04-2013, 06:24 PM
The track really is an amazing place to race. It flows really well and has tons of room to pass. Just sucks they are so snobby.
very much ditto

F1 can leave after next year imho (I want to see the new cars) - place needs to go under and change hands to a group that knows how to actually run a race track.

BlueFirePony
11-04-2013, 06:56 PM
heh, i am on their [COTA] email/phone list and last couple was for a 'track day'. When I called them back I responded with an uncontrollable "what? I'm sorry? I didn't hear that".... it was $2500 for ONE DAY PER DRIVER

We're going to F1 this year, but with V8 supers gone there is diminishing interest in attending events given the ownership.

Talks are still on about V8 Supercars visiting COTA in 2015 and onward AFAIK. As for the track day's, they've sold out the last couple within hours of being announced so it's still demand, meet supply.

rleng1
11-08-2013, 05:07 PM
I still say Kellam has the best record.
2010 Texas CMC Regional Champion
2010 CMC Summer Shootout Champion at Hallet
2010 CMC National Champion
Sounds like the Triple Crown to me.
Cheers.