PDA

View Full Version : RR's for 2014......

GlennCMC70
11-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Forced down the throat of CMC by NASA HQ.......
CMC will be allowed to run the Toyo RR's for 2014 AFTER the 2nd regional event. That is mandaded by NASA HQ. Al tried to put it off a little longer, but was not able to. I found out last night. I waited until I saw him post this on the National site before I posted it here.

I knew it was coming. The issue is the lack of notice. This type of stuff should get a 6 month notice at a minimum.

More bad news.......
Best I can tell, RR's are faster and not available in 16".

I would like to see us agree to a longer time frame. A gentleman’s agreement of sorts.
How about we agree to push this back to the 3rd event?
That would push this back to the April 25th TWS event for us here. Much closer to a 6 month notice.

Thoughts?

Suck fumes
11-16-2013, 01:59 PM
It's going to be pushed back until you can actually buy 17" RRs haha. Good news is they last a lot longer and are more consistent. AND you don't have to shave them!

Storm Trooper
11-16-2013, 02:53 PM
So....RA1's can be run until we can afford to switch?
I spoke with the machine shop and it is not a problem to put a ford 5 bolt pattern on the hubs. This might be a cheaper option for some to go to 17". It seams there is a lot more options for spacing on ford wheels.

Thoughts??

cobra132
11-17-2013, 08:01 AM
So exactly when are these tires going to be available to peons like myself in "normal" sizes like 275/40/17????

Rob Liebbe
11-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Let the RA1's continue in our region for the entire 2014 season, allowing max time to wear them out. I know of one flat black LT1 Camaro that just bought a new set of RA1's. If the RR's are faster, then the RA1's will not be a speed advantage, but at least we don't force folks to "waste" any useable RA1's.

marshall_mosty
11-17-2013, 10:39 AM
All,
I agree with Glenn. Let's discuss for AI and CMC separately on this. Supply of 17's is supposed to be here by 1-Dec for RR's, but a bunch of us have plenty of RA1's (as Rob indicated).

I'll send out an email to the AI guys to see if that's something we can work out. It will be similar to thr 888 debacle of 2008... That agreement worked out as the only "oddball" was Casey on Nitto NT01's...

Suck fumes
11-17-2013, 11:59 AM
But if we want to use the RR's we can with no penalty correct?

marshall_mosty
11-17-2013, 12:03 PM
Aaron,
For SI, that's your spec tire so I don't have an issue with that.

For CMC, you will have to discuss with Glenn. However, the idea of a "gentlemen's agreement" is to keep everyone on the same tire (for fairness) until the group decides the majority can make the switch without having huge financial impacts to the majority.

Honestly, I don't understand why NASA chooses to roll these decisions out BETWEEN seasons... If we had notice for a year, people can plan their tire budgets on how far to push their existing stock to minimize the wasted RA1's that won't be as competative...

Suck fumes
11-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Reason I ask is because I burned through all my RA1's at eagles canyon so I don't want to buy any more if I don't have to. They really do suck compared to the RR's. But I understand the "fairness" part of it. Not sure why NASA gave us a LATE notice. I mean less than 2 months before the new season and they change the spec tire haha.

But we need to figure something out cause I Reeeeaaallly don't want to buy more tires that I can't use more than two weekends then have them take space in my garage.

GlennCMC70
11-17-2013, 02:34 PM
To be clear.....
NASA will allow the RR after the 2nd event. This means they will be legal starting the 3rd event for CMC and not before. I am asking us if we can agree for the best intrest of the group to push the RR back one more event beyond what NASA has dictated. This means instead of seeing them at event 3 we push back to allowing them to event 4.

GlennCMC70
11-17-2013, 02:39 PM
The reason I am asking for this is for the reasons you said Aaron - NASA HQ didn't give us enough notice. Just over 2 months the season start and 4 months before allowing them on track in CMC is not enough still.

We have been through this before and were willing to share resources for those that run out.

Suck fumes
11-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Well if we have to run the old tire for the first two events then I will only buy one set of RA1's for Houston and cresson. But we will be running the RR after that as per NASA rules. I don't want to buy more RA1's then I have to.

Fbody383
11-17-2013, 03:05 PM
More bad news.......
Best I can tell, RR's are faster and not available in 16". Excellent... :(

Thoughts? For Sale: One sligthly used, kinda straight 4th gen with plenty of 16 inch wheels.

ShadowBolt
11-17-2013, 03:46 PM
I have enough tire left to finish Houston........maybe. So if I purchase a set of RA1's I will only get one event out of them. I hate the way NASA treats us. I am a customer and this kind of shit would send me to a competitor if one existed. Just what my wore out chassis needs.....more grip. Does anyone remember what CMC was all about? Wanna bet we lose some guys from this? I know one front runner that told me he was thinking of parking his car for next year. I bet this seals the deal.

JJ

philstireservice
11-17-2013, 03:51 PM
We have a set of 2 - 255/50R16 RA-1's shaved to 5/32nds that we will let go for a very good price...let us know soon!!

Suck fumes
11-17-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm sure Toyo has a big say in this. You have to remember NASA is a business and Toyo throws a lot of money at it and if they want to push a newer tire for advertisement to the public then everyone has to run it.

Pranav
11-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Forgive my ignorance since I haven't researched this much, but do the RRs actually provide more mechanical grip? I thought the 100 treadwear rating on the RA1s were totally bogus, with the RR's 40 rating being closer to reality?

As far as the loss of 16" size debacle, no plans to produce the RR in 16s? Did anyone up there think to ask? At this point are we the only NASA class still running big 16s?

Suck fumes
11-17-2013, 05:03 PM
They are about a second faster than the ra1. Almost equal to the Hoosier R compound.

GlennCMC70
11-17-2013, 05:29 PM
I always thought the treadwear rating use thread depth as a factor to assign its number.

Storm Trooper
11-17-2013, 08:36 PM
So....is RR mantory? I bet if there not, some of us would be instreaded in buying slightly used RA1's and running them for a while. Heck I am in the back anyway :-)

BlueFirePony
11-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Forgive my ignorance since I haven't researched this much, but do the RRs actually provide more mechanical grip? I thought the 100 treadwear rating on the RA1s were totally bogus, with the RR's 40 rating being closer to reality?

As far as the loss of 16" size debacle, no plans to produce the RR in 16s? Did anyone up there think to ask? At this point are we the only NASA class still running big 16s?

Comparing treadwear on commercial tires between manufacturers is not terribly useful for performance applications since the testing done does not at all resemble what you do with the tires on the racetrack. Treadwear is used by manufacturers to position their product line more for marketing than any objective measure. The intent was to be a more reliable measurement for consumers but once manufacturers were given the control over testing it's become less than useful. Consumers are mislead on this.

Rob Liebbe
11-17-2013, 08:49 PM
So....is RR mantory? I bet if there not, some of us would be instreaded in buying slightly used RA1's and running them for a while. Heck I am in the back anyway Wait a minute, the last race I was at, you won. Or was that a Jedi trick?

GlennCMC70
11-17-2013, 09:04 PM
So....is RR mantory? I bet if there not, some of us would be instreaded in buying slightly used RA1's and running them for a while. Heck I am in the back anyway :-)

They are not manditory.

Alien
11-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Wow, well I'll be one of those to say that fucking sucks. Guess that's what I get for stocking up on 10 16" RA1's since that supply was drying up.

Pranav
11-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Sell what you don't need off to Sean and David!

philstireservice
11-17-2013, 10:24 PM

the 255/50R16 will NOT be made. The 225/50R16 and the 245/45R16 will be made, but they are the last of all the new RR's to be available. We don't have a time frame, but I would guess mid to late 2014. Just a guess remember.

AllZWay
11-18-2013, 09:24 AM
This is is complete and utter BS. So now I will be stuck with a set of new 888's and new set of RA1's. The ole 28 may be parked for a long time or forever at this point.

AllZWay
11-18-2013, 09:28 AM
BTW.. I have a brand new set of RA1's 275/40/17 shaved 4/32nds... I would make a good deal on. I wasn't going to race the etnire season and probably not at all now.

ShadowBolt
11-18-2013, 09:35 AM
BTW.. I have a brand new set of RA1's 275/40/17 shaved 4/32nds... I would make a good deal on. I wasn't going to race the etnire season and probably not at all now.
I kinda guessed that's would you would think (see my post above). I may have to buy some or all of your tires.

JJ

Rsmith350
11-18-2013, 10:40 AM
This is is complete and utter BS. So now I will be stuck with a set of new 888's and new set of RA1's. The ole 28 may be parked for a long time or forever at this point.

I'm gonna need shake down tires, I might be interested in your 888's

michaelmosty
11-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Agreed that this is a complete and total mess. No need to elaborate any more.
Thanks NASA...

Suck fumes
11-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Quoted from Phil:

there will be 16", not the size that you may want, but later in 2014 there will 225/50R16 and 245/45R16 RR's.

AI#97
11-18-2013, 07:37 PM
I don't see what you guys are pissed about with the RA1 still needed as a rain tire... Keep the ones you have and if they are shaved, they are intermediates. If they are full tread...they are full rains. Yeah, you are buying more wheels and have to carry them but that's cheap.

I do think they are going to have a supply problem for the 17's as there are TONS of people running 17's in CMC, AI and Factory 5 Roadsters. yeah, they USED to run 255's but if they go to RR's, there isn't going to be a 255 RR.....or is there? Phil?

As Jerry pointed out, the 4th gens are already cracking K-members with RA1's. We are going to have to trash the one in Misty's car as it's cracking just like Bryan's did....and I am about to put 315's on it!

One thing I learned over the years about NASA is they have NO problem finding ways to spend YOUR money and make THEM look cool....AND bitching about it does nothing so bite the bullet and move forward.

Aren't the AI rules supposed to be out already according to the new commitment? LOL!

<---runs and grabs the flame suit!

ShadowBolt
11-18-2013, 08:17 PM
I don't see what you guys are pissed about with the RA1 still needed as a rain tire... Keep the ones you have and if they are shaved, they are intermediates. If they are full tread...they are full rains. Yeah, you are buying more wheels and have to carry them but that's cheap.

I do think they are going to have a supply problem for the 17's as there are TONS of people running 17's in CMC, AI and Factory 5 Roadsters. yeah, they USED to run 255's but if they go to RR's, there isn't going to be a 255 RR.....or is there? Phil?

As Jerry pointed out, the 4th gens are already cracking K-members with RA1's. We are going to have to trash the one in Misty's car as it's cracking just like Bryan's did....and I am about to put 315's on it!

One thing I learned over the years about NASA is they have NO problem finding ways to spend YOUR money and make THEM look cool....AND bitching about it does nothing so bite the bullet and move forward.

Aren't the AI rules supposed to be out already according to the new commitment? LOL!

<---runs and grabs the flame suit!

I have never screwed with rains. Unless there is standing water a slick tire will have more grip. At least that is what I have been told. I have four slick tires on the trailer tire rack and two at 1/16" and two with maybe 1/32" on the car. I have to figure out what to purchase to get through two races.

JJ

Suck fumes
11-18-2013, 08:40 PM
I know it's aggravating that NASA made the choice last minute but in all honesty the RR is a 100 times better. And it's not as sticky as everyone thinks it is. Yah it's faster but a lot of that has to do with it being virtually a REAL race tire that has only two lines going down it instead of 4 like the RA1. It is a little softer but not much and the fact that the sidewalls are rounded off and smooth also help with cornering grip. It's not going to tear apart cars like everyone thinks it will unless your car is already falling apart.

AI#97
11-18-2013, 10:08 PM
I have never screwed with rains. Unless there is standing water a slick tire will have more grip. At least that is what I have been told. I have four slick tires on the trailer tire rack and two at 1/16" and two with maybe 1/32" on the car. I have to figure out what to purchase to get through two races.

JJ

Jerry, then you haven't driven enough in the rain...especially on a tire like the RR and if you show up with stickers and your first session is wet...you will BEG for those RA1's. Traction is less than ZERO and fast hands and a GOOD rain line are key.

Storm Trooper
11-18-2013, 11:54 PM
So we all can agree! CHANGE sucks!

But we all need to realize that TOYO and NASA are a business first! I do not like the very short notice either, it is bad business. But it is what is is! Don't let their business ruin the years of fun that NASA has enjoyed.

That being said......We can not let this change take away from the heart of what we all spend hours upon hours laying under our cars getting them ready to go to the races. This is about having FUN and competing and doing our best at a sport we love!

If you look at it as a rookie ( like some of us are) I have a real hard time buying a set of expensive tires then shaving off over half of them!?!? WTH, But that is what I was told to do and what I have done. The idea of going to a tire that we don't have to waste 3/4 of their life on the floor at the tire shop is very appealing. Not to mention makes more sense financially. After the initial cost of having to change wheels, the savings on the extra life of the tires will be better in the long run. Think big picture here...don't go down the path of the dark side. ;-)

I know there are some running 16" wheels. You all are looking at a larger cost than some because of changing wheels. But as the group that I have become very fond of, we can pull together and help them find an alternative. (I am not sure if they are going to allow 225/50R16 or 245/45R16 in CMC (Glenn help on this))

GlennCMC70
11-19-2013, 08:07 AM
All tire sizes are maximums. Smaller is ok.

So how do we feel about pushing back the introduction here in Texas to the 4th event?

Trublu
11-19-2013, 09:49 AM

So how do we feel about pushing back the introduction here in Texas to the 4th event?
Glenn,

Personally I was set on buying some new tires to kick off the season but can limp through until the second event, although I might have to revert to 16s to get there. I'd like the option to run RR after event 2 but will be happy with general consensus.

ShadowBolt
11-19-2013, 10:13 AM
There is no good answer for everyone. I have just enough RA-1 left to finish Houston then I will have nothing for Cresson. We will have some guys that have more tires than they need for two or four events and some that don't have any. There is no perfect for everyone way to go here.

JJ

Dulaney
11-19-2013, 10:32 AM
For those of us with a stack of Toyo bucks, I wish they had the tires available for purchase before making any kind of announcement. Depending on how the AI decision goes, I might have some used tires available. I also have a spare set of 17" wheels (not the enkei's that I run), with a set of 245's on them.

AllZWay
11-19-2013, 11:07 AM
For those of us with a stack of Toyo bucks, I wish they had the tires available for purchase before making any kind of announcement. Depending on how the AI decision goes, I might have some used tires available. I also have a spare set of 17" wheels (not the enkei's that I run), with a set of 245's on them.

No kidding.. are your Toyobucks going to expire before you can even buy new RR's?

ShadowBolt
11-19-2013, 11:13 AM
No kidding.. are your Toyobucks going to expire before you can even buy new RR's?

I have $225.00 worth of Toyobucks. I doubt the RR's will be available before they are out of date.

JJ

RichardP
11-19-2013, 11:32 AM

The fourth event is Hallett, which is a multi-region event.

The people with tires want to extend until they run out. The people without tires don't want to buy obsolete stuff. There is no good answer.

If Toyo doesn't extend Toyo Bucks until after tires are actually available, there will probably be a riot...

Richard P.

Pranav
11-19-2013, 11:36 AM
I haven't counted up my Toyo bucks, but between the late announcement and availability of 17" RRs after most of our bucks will expire, someone up there needs to grant us a Toyo bucks extension.

Suck fumes
11-19-2013, 12:04 PM
My rep at tire rack said they will for sure be here next month before January. But you can't use Toyo bucks with them.

michaelmosty
11-19-2013, 12:23 PM

That gets my vote. But as Richard pointed out, I have virtually a brand new set of tires I need to burn through, and I likely won't make Cresson (baby due that weekend).

It is the same bad taste everyone got with the 888's. Some people are going to be out little $$, some will be out bigger $$. Any way you slice it, it all sucks!!

philstireservice
11-19-2013, 12:30 PM
My rep at tire rack said they will for sure be here next month before January. But you can't use Toyo bucks with them.

You'd be buying them from the wrong place......not too mention paying toooooo much

Storm Trooper
11-19-2013, 12:32 PM

If you can't use toyo bucks for RR's then what good are they?(maybe I missed something??)

Storm Trooper
11-19-2013, 12:34 PM
You'd be buying them from the wrong place......not too mention paying toooooo much
So you except toyo bucks on RR's?

Fbody383
11-19-2013, 12:36 PM

So how do we feel about pushing back the introduction here in Texas to the 4th event? Like Sean said, I'm coming to race with what I have. I'll start the search for a 17" wheel and buy tires when I find them. I'll scrimp/share/flip/rotate 16s and manage the stock for the events I want to run.

"Slow" bothers me less than having to spend money arbitrarily.

May just have to take the Toyo logo out of the year end video.

kbrewmr2
11-19-2013, 12:37 PM
why are you buying track tires from Tire Rack?

Suck fumes
11-19-2013, 12:43 PM
I always get my RA1's from Phil cause his shave is the best and I plan on using my last Toyo bucks on the final RA1 set I need for the first two events.

I buy all the SI RR tires from tire rack cause I have a dealer wholesale account with them through my business and its a LOT cheaper for me to go through them for RR's over anyone else.

My dad will mostly be driving CMC next year anyway so I'm sure if he accumulates Toyo bucks we will still use them at Phil's place.

Rsmith350
11-19-2013, 12:49 PM
I always get my RA1's from Phil cause his shave is the best and I plan on using my last Toyo bucks on the final RA1 set I need for the first two events.

I buy all the SI (and future CMC) RR tires from tire rack cause I have a dealer wholesale account with them through my business and its a LOT cheaper for me to go through them for RR's over anyone else.
Same here, corporate account is nice :)

nasa-rm
11-19-2013, 01:57 PM
I'll take cheap 275/17 RA1s if anyone wants to dump them. :)

The loss of the 16" RA1 is no surprise, it's been coming for several years and Toyo was very verbal about they would stop supporting the 255/16" as soon as they announced the RR. And yes, CMC is the only class anywhere that uses 16". I tried to buy tires at Nationals and could not get 16" from Toyo, Hoosier or Goodyear. There was not ONE SINGLE 16" RA1 on the supply truck from Toyo and the other two said they don't support that size and brought nothing in 16". It was easier to buy a set of 17" wheels, so I did.

Texas folks, if you were willing to pushout the RR allowance date to coincide the change with the 2nd race weekend of Rocky Mountain, that would be cool. With the amount of RM folks who go down to Texas to play in CMC it would be nice if they could have the same rules apply regardless of region.

Now... don't forget that Texas is an odd duck and is completely out of the norm. Most all of the other AI/CMC regions have 4 to 5 month lead times before their season starts!!!!! ALMOST SIX GD MONTHS BEFORE ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAS AN EVENT (wahhhhh). Sorry Texans, while you are very important just clearly based on the AI/CMC (and SM) numbers, one region can't lead the rules as everyone needs to be taken into account.

And yes, if you can't find RRs before your bucks run out due to any supply issues (after the switch over date), just as they have in the past, Toyo has stepped up and extended to make sure they don't screw anyone.

As far as making this switch in the "off the season" instead of the "middle of the season", NOW can I switch the Texas season to run Sept through June? :)

BTW, there is some sarcasm in my words above. Remember, my self appointed job in life is to push y'all's buttons here on this forum. I'm just here to have fun, grow the region and attempt to smooth out the bumps such as this. That is the downside of having the regional director racing in your class!

Ok, I am out of here. Got to go sell my car or find adjustable rear control arms..... ;)

nasa-rm
11-19-2013, 02:03 PM
One more thought.... those with TOO many 17" (or 16") RA1s that want to switch to the RR atfter race 2, why don't you help out those that don't have enough RA1's to make it to the switch point?

Let's be constructive and work through the switchover and insure we have record numbers of CMC cars on track.

Suck fumes
11-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Just found out tire rack DOES accept Toyo bucks per Mac Mcnabb. So if you can't find RR's anywhere else you can use them there. Just have to call to order and scan/email the certificates.

GlennCMC70
11-19-2013, 02:22 PM
One more thought.... those with TOO many 17" (or 16") RA1s that want to switch to the RR at race 2, why don't you help out those that don't have enough RA1's to make it to the switch point?

Let's be constructive and work through the switchover and insure we have record numbers of CMC cars on track.

The switchover is not at race 2, it is after race 2.

michaelmosty
11-19-2013, 03:48 PM
Why doesn't NASA determine a "date" that the RR will become the new spec tire? Just as an example, June 1, 2014. That will give every single region the exact same amount of time.

GlennCMC70
11-19-2013, 04:41 PM
They are alowing 2 events for everyone so they will have a chance to use up (mostly) 1 set of new tires.
They never factor that most all of us have tires in various stages of use. I have my best set to race on. I have another set for practice. I have a 3rd set for DE's and fun rides. I even have a set of full tread rains (16").
I'll be willing to sell the 16" ones.

AI#97
11-19-2013, 08:04 PM
They are alowing 2 events for everyone so they will have a chance to use up (mostly) 1 set of new tires.
They never factor that most all of us have tires in various stages of use. I have my best set to race on. I have another set for practice. I have a 3rd set for DE's and fun rides. I even have a set of full tread rains (16").
I'll be willing to sell the 16" ones.

glenn, I would keep the 16" full treads for rain races....sadly, they won't fit over your new sexy brakes! Michaels idea of picking a specific date to swap is better....however we know it will fall at midnight on a Saturday! LOL!

BTW, does CMC have rules about running 16's on the rear and 17's on the front? maybe you could burn up tires that way?! Either way, you are all going to have to adjust spring rates and setups to go to the RR....your wallets are going to be opened one way or another.

Fbody383
11-19-2013, 08:18 PM
I'll be willing to sell the 16" ones. I might be interested. Gary has a couple so between he and I we may have a way to burn 'em up.

Storm Trooper
11-19-2013, 10:00 PM
I might be interested. Gary has a couple so between he and I we may have a way to burn 'em up.
Orange Will Always be FAST!!!;-)

nasa-rm
11-19-2013, 10:53 PM
The switchover is not at race 2, it is after race 2.

Good catch. Fixed!

Rob Liebbe
11-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Let the RA1's continue in our region for the entire 2014 season, allowing max time to wear them out. I know of one flat black LT1 Camaro that just bought a new set of RA1's. If the RR's are faster, then the RA1's will not be a speed advantage, but at least we don't force folks to "waste" any useable RA1's.Did this idea get lost, or was it not clearly stated? Simply allow folks to run on either tire regionally so they can continue to run on what they have while they work the new tires into their budget/plans. I'd hate for anybody to feel like they cannot race (read - not come to a NASA event) because they don't have the new tire on relatively short notice. If someone feels they need to be super competitive, then they can buy the new tire as soon as it comes out. Why wouldn't this work?

marshall_mosty
11-20-2013, 10:06 AM
All,
The RR AND RA1 will be allowed. The RR is not a rain tire. The RA1 fills that void. The RD's and regional directors are not going to rule on what is or isn't a rain race. If you want to run RR's in the wet, fine. RA1's in the dry, fine.

Run what you brung. It will all be okay.

The idea of the "gentlemen's agreement" was to let everyone switch to the speedier tire at more or less the same time so it would be viewed as "fair" for as many as possible.

GlennCMC70
11-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Did this idea get lost, or was it not clearly stated? Simply allow folks to run on either tire regionally so they can continue to run on what they have while they work the new tires into their budget/plans. I'd hate for anybody to feel like they cannot race (read - not come to a NASA event) because they don't have the new tire on relatively short notice. If someone feels they need to be super competitive, then they can buy the new tire as soon as it comes out. Why wouldn't this work?

I know Marshall already answered this.....

The RR will be legal after event 2 per NASA HQ. That does not mean the RR is the only tire that can be run. The RA1 and RR are legal AFTER event 2. I was trying to get us all to agree to push back the allowance of the RR in TEXAS to the 4th event instead of the 3rd event. It is a 1 event pushback. If we all can't agree, then it is what NASA HQ dictated, event 3, RR's will be legal.

For those of you who have Toyo bucks to spend and are worried about them expiring, contact your normal tire dealer and see if they will take them now towerds a future purchase of RR's. At the least, buy something w/ them even if it is RA1's.

My first planned event is MSR-C (event 3). I will be on RA1's. Feel free to take advantage as you see fit.

michaelmosty
11-20-2013, 04:50 PM
Is Barber considered a TX event? I would think MSR-C would be considered the 2nd TX event and that the RR's would then be legal for the TWS event.

GlennCMC70
11-20-2013, 04:54 PM
I may have mis-counted. Correct me where I am wrong.

Suck fumes
11-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Is Barber considered a TX event? I would think MSR-C would be considered the 2nd TX event and that the RR's would then be legal for the TWS event.

Good question

kbrewmr2
11-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Barber is non-points per Dave for all race classes (TT too), so that would seem to make it not count, right?

kbrewmr2
11-25-2013, 01:51 PM
more info / official annoucement on the RR including extending expiration date of Toyobucks, etc

http://www.nasaproracing.com/2013/11/nasa-announces-rr-allowance-fo.html

Suck fumes
11-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Man I can't wait! These tires rock!

RichardP
11-25-2013, 08:30 PM
more info / official annoucement on the RR including extending expiration date of Toyobucks, etc

http://www.nasaproracing.com/2013/11/nasa-announces-rr-allowance-fo.html

Interesting. Officially includes AI and a February 1st implementation.

Richard P.

RichardP
11-29-2013, 10:42 PM
Interesting. Officially includes AI and a February 1st implementation.

Richard P.

So the AI rules are out and the Toyo RR is an allowed tire without any implementation date. This is in conflict with the official NASA announcement (in our region, anyway). What tires are we using when...

Richard P.

AI#97
11-30-2013, 10:09 PM
So the AI rules are out and the Toyo RR is an allowed tire without any implementation date. This is in conflict with the official NASA announcement (in our region, anyway). What tires are we using when...

Richard P.

Sounds like you better start R1 at Houston on the RR! Great way to get a track record! ;)

marshall_mosty
12-01-2013, 01:55 PM
All, for AI I've asked for clarifications on the implementation of the RR specifically for those of us with a January race.

GlennCMC70
12-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Just a guess......
CMC rules didn't list a date either. The NASA HQ announcement did list a data and classes affected. Seems pretty clear to me.

Perhaps I am wrong.

RichardP
12-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Just a guess......
CMC rules didn't list a date either. The NASA HQ announcement did list a data and classes affected. Seems pretty clear to me.

Perhaps I am wrong.

Huh? The CMC rules:

TheToyo Proxes RR tire is allowed in a region after the
2nd race event weekend of that region.

The CMC rules state an effective date (varies by region). This effective date also is in conflict with the official NASA announcement. Not clear to me...

Richard P.

marshall_mosty
12-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Just heard from HQ. unless there is a supply problem with RR's, they will be legal in January at MSR-H for American Iron.

Just a general comment but series rules supersede national rules (from Todd C.).

Glenn will need to clarify for CMC.

Al Fernandez
12-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Class rules always supersede marketing announcements

GlennCMC70
12-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Sorry Richard. I never read the official release. I assumed it was worded the way it was passed to me.

Texas CMC will be AFTER event 2 of the Texas Region schedule.

Dulaney
12-02-2013, 11:09 AM
If any CMC guy is ordering some 17" RA1's, I'd like to trade my brand new 5/32 shaved tires for some full-treads. Save you $15 per. I have 3 tires, not 4. Can bring to the banquet or to MSR-H.

marshall_mosty
12-02-2013, 11:19 AM
I also have two 5/32's that I'd like to trade for full treads.

Dulaney
12-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Too bad we can't make them buy them back :)

AllZWay
12-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Too bad we can't make them buy them back :)

No kidding... I already had to eat a set of 888's and now a set of RA1's. It really pisses me off. These dayum things aren't cheap.