PDA

View Full Version : New Ford Diesel Sept 28 in Dallas

cjlmlml
08-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Ford to roll out diesel truck in 2007
Heavy-duty vehicle to be equipped with a larger engine than current V8 that will run on low-sulfur fuel.
August 22 2006: 7:14 AM EDT

DETROIT (Reuters) -- Ford Motor Co., which is facing mounting pressure to reduce its reliance on gas-guzzling trucks, on Tuesday said it would begin selling a new diesel version of its Super Duty pickup in early 2007.

The launch of the heavy-duty diesel-powered pickup comes at a crucial time for Ford, which has had to slash truck production this year after sales slowed faster than expected in the face of higher U.S. interest rates and gas prices.

Photo Gallery See more photos

Ford (Charts) said it would unveil the 2008 model of its F-Series Super Duty pickup aimed at commercial truck buyers on Sept. 28 at an event in Dallas.

The new Ford Super Duty pickup joins a growing list of upcoming U.S. diesel-powered trucks and sport utility vehicles intended to provide more power and improved economy to win over buyers concerned about high fuel prices.

Ford said the new 6.4-liter diesel engine in the 2008 Super Duty would be larger than the 6.0-liter V8 in the current model and would become first diesel engine in the U.S. market to feature a high-precision fuel injection system.

That system, combined with new low-sulfur fuel, will make the engine run more quietly and reduce emissions to the level of a gasoline engine, Ford said.

Ford dominates the lucrative U.S. pickup market, with the F-series alone accounting for 30 percent of its annual sales.

But last week Ford said it would cut fourth-quarter production to its lowest level in 25 years in order to accelerate a turnaround plan that has not yielded results fast enough amid falling sales.

Ford said the production cuts were necessary because high gasoline prices have cut into demand for pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles.

By contrast, sales of diesel-powered trucks remain a small but still growing part of the U.S. market, with annual sales up about 25 percent since 2001.

Almost three-quarters of all Ford Super Duty truck buyers already opt for a diesel engine, Ford said.

The growth in the U.S. market for diesel engines has been boosted in part by upcoming U.S. government regulations that will require ultralow-sulfur fuel to be widely available from October.

Ford said it would provide more details on the pricing of the 2008 Super Duty closer to the introduction of the new vehicles early next year

j3ffbrooks
08-22-2006, 04:47 PM

FORD SUCKS!

jeffburch
08-22-2006, 05:17 PM
:shock:
:lol:

jb

AI#97
08-22-2006, 05:52 PM
News Flash....ford screws up again by rushing a new motor to production before final testing.....recalls 700,000 trucks and files bankruptcy.... :roll:

"precision fuel system"...? WTF is that?! Common Rail Diesels with direct injection don't get much more precise.

they would have been better off swallowing their pride and using the 6.7L Cummins that is coming out in the new dodges.

also, look for power outputs to be about what they are running now....the new emissions standards and crappy fuels are going to "detune" the motors.....however, I am sure the aftermarket will fix that quickly!

ford isn't quite in as much financial trouble as Chevy but they just can't seem to make a good decision.....

dirwin
08-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Give me a break!

Matt, Ford owns Cummins, every wonder why the Cummins goes to Dodge with the diesel that is rated a distant 3rd behind the Duramax?

Lets see, power that is the same? How about 650 lb.ft. torque with the 6.4L, 24,500 pound towing capacity while using low sulfur fuel and meeting 08 emissions. Hmmm where is Dodge? 18,000 if you get the manual trans?
:shock:

No Poke, Just Fact

dirwin
08-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Just a follow up for you Matt. While you say Ford can't make a good decision, remember that since 2001, Ford has sold over 1.3 million diesel Super Duty trucks, that's more than Chevy and Dodge COMBINED :P

j3ffbrooks
08-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Give me a break!

Ford owns Cummins

Uhhhh, no....they might own some shares of Cummins. Like 20%, maybe.

Ford also has stakes in Volvo, Aston Martin, Land Rover....

Navastar makes great motors, but Ford just does a shitty job of implimenting them.

Twin turbos on a diesel sounds neat though.

GM has a stake in Isuzu's Truck division. Hence the Duramax. Although, the Duramax has just as many problems as the 6.0L Powerstroke.

AI#97
08-23-2006, 04:07 PM
Dave, I realize you are a ford dealer but ask ANY hotshot hauler what they would buy and it's a dodge. There are MANY dodges pulling 30-40k pound trailers for 250k miles with nothing more than a clutch and turbo change when they go out. GVW ratings are total horseshit...ask the guys over at TDR for some REAL world trailer weights and you will shit yourself with what these guys are towing with a stock 1 ton dodge. Got to a modified one and :shock:

big deal on the 650 ft/lbs from a 6.4L V8.....the 5.9 I-6 puts out 610 and pull a hole in a Ford's ass any day of the week. It takes Twins to get that power? Why?

I have a good friend who is a diesel tech at a ford house and the general complaint INTERNALLY at ford is that "we have a good engine, but ford f'd up the engine controls and electronics..."

fords do have bigger interiors and sell a shit load more trucks than dodge but that by NO means makes the motor any more reliable. Given I can buy the same Dodge for $10k less than a "comparable" ford and you have my decision easy!!!!

Brooks is right, ford only owns a small stake in Cummins....ask a cummins employee and they will tell you they are proud that it is ONLY a SMALL stake! :wink:

this is just all fun banter of course! :lol: I just wish Dodge had a V8 RWD 2 door I could campaign in AI!!! :P

BSharp
08-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Dave, I realize you are a ford dealer but ask ANY hotshot hauler what they would buy and it's a dodge.**

**Not including the hotshot haulers that had the choice and still bought something else.

Tex89
08-23-2006, 05:23 PM
F Dodge, they are all POS. I wouldn't care if it was 1/2 the price of the others.

Just my .02. YMMV

chicane23
08-23-2006, 05:23 PM
I'll put my '03 Ford F-250 up against your Dodge any day Matt, towing or what ever! With or without the programmer! :twisted:
I know I get better gas mileage and the ride quality is better in Ford by far. We will not talk about amenities, looks or styling in this. ;-)

Actually, Ford owned a hell of a lot more than 20% of Cummins 5 or so years ago and sold most of it!

You can keep driving that dump truck. :lol:

dirwin
08-23-2006, 06:01 PM
In my business we call this mixing up the shit.

Mitch, where are the cats!

I love to pull out the ownership of Cummins, it drives people wild and they haven't a clue who owns Cummins.

I have seen Ford own as little as 0% and as high as 100%

Either way, the Dodge is a POS, the Duramax has its own set of unique problems, Navstar (International) built a great engine in the 6.0 Powerstroke only to have Ford engineers screw with the injection system in order to attempt to make it "quiet like the Duramax" and f'up the whole engine. Proof, the International 6.0 used in most of their medium trucks have no problems. The 6.4 that is coming out is ALL International so I will cross my fingers.

Just so you will know, per the SEC filings in March 2006, 14.9% of common stock (the largest single holder) Cummins Inc. (formerly Cummings Engine Company Inc) was State Street Bank and Trust (the trustee on record for the Cummins Employee Benefit/Retirement Fund). Number 2 at 11.9% is Barclays Global Investors N/A, a mutual fund that owns an interest in over 2900 companies. Number 3 at 6.87%, Lord Abbett and Company. All other major holders hold 5% or less of the common stock and couldn't group together enough class voting rights to get the Board of Directors to do DIDLY SQUAT.

John you are right, in 2000 Ford Motor Company was the largest single shareholder (enough that they could swing the Board). The Board was approved in 1998 to start a stock buyback at over $31 a share. By the end of 2001 Cummins had bought back nearly 8 million shares (including Ford's) and "sold" the stock to the Employee Benefit Fund (pension fund).

:wink:

mitchntx
08-23-2006, 06:18 PM
Mitch, where are the cats!

Sorry ... I'm slacking ....

http://webpages.charter.net/mitchntx/FoundOnRoadDead.jpg

AI#97
08-23-2006, 06:26 PM
You guys that bleed ford blue just KILL me how much dedication you have to inferior products.... :lol:

To each their own but I don't see a lot of fords hauling stuff on the highways....mostly just see them hauling Yuppies around attempting to look more important than they are while they converse on their cell phones.

All in all we atleast agree the aluminum headed POS from Chevy suxx but here are a few pictures to ponder....

48k lbs with the round bails....

38k with the tractors
38k with the square bails...all three trucks supposedly have over 250k and have been doing this from day one with very little maintenance....

Garbage
08-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Matt,

First and foremost the common thread of those pictures is all the trucks are sitting still. None are moving. More of an advertisement for the trailer manufacturer.

Second. DOT would black flag anyone hauling that kind of a payload in a truck that small. They are completely overweight and illegal.

Third. All of the products being hauled in the pictures have something to do with BullShit. Bulls eat hay and then shit. Thus, you have BullShit.

I'll take my Volvo powered trucks and yank all you posers around. Added to that, we could crush everyones truck and put it into a 40yd container, then hoist it on the back my Volvo truck and haul them to the dump.

Volvo trucks rule. :?: And Volvo owns Mack. :shock:

David

Oh yeah! Forgot about the subject Ford vs. Dodge. Owned a Duramax. Sold it for a Ford. 8K miles later I still love the Ford. Rides good. Comfy inside. Looks good. No Rattles. No problems. Would buy another Ford. Never even driven a Dodge product. Walked on to a Dodge dealership once in my life. Bought and sold over 36 cars in my driving life (37years old).

Trade in value for a Dodge...what trade in value. It was bad enough for the Chevy.

bossskip302
08-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Never had any problems with our Ford trucks, pulls the big trailer and or 40' Cattle trailer loaded with Mama cows (avg.weight 900 lbs ?) 25k plus.
Like a charm.
:lol:
Go ot a sale barn in your area , most tow rigs are Ford duallys

marshall_mosty
08-23-2006, 09:28 PM
I know that my little old 4.0 Explorer has no problems towing my AI car and trailer, so all the pissing and moaning about Dodge 25K towing this, and Duramaxipad that don't get me ruffled when I go out and look at my beast.

Nothing like 147HP to get the blood pumping!

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1280/3889/92141.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1280/3889/92143.jpg

AI#97
08-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Trade in value for a Dodge...what trade in value. It was bad enough for the Chevy.

Thanks David, needed a chuckle!

As for trade in value on the dodge...most are selling used at 1yr old and 30k miles for more than I paid for mine new!

You guys are all too old school and diehard ford... :lol:

cmarvel
08-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Could be that we are too die hard Ford.

Or it could be that I have three Ford daily drivers and the lowest milage in the group is 172,000 (the Excursion).

I will race almost anything, and I loved my Dodge Charger. Not the neo-classico-euro-multidoor abortion that they currently sell, but the 1970 RT with a 440 (which actually didn't weight any more that the current one?!?!?). But if I need to get to work (or tow to the race track) the Fords have been the most reliable and lowest cost of ownership trucks for a long time.

And we all know how cheap I am :wink: