PDA

View Full Version : Throttle cable mounting on fox?

mach1
12-01-2013, 04:00 PM
I have a 93 cobra throttle body and an explorer intake, no where to mount the throttle cable to, would something like this be CMC legal?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-51500090?seid=srese1&gclid=CMHa6Pz0j7sCFW9nOgodDQIA4A

https://www.accufabracing.com/components/com_mijoshop/opencart/image/cache/data/product/5.0L_access/1301693964_3_8%20Cable%20Bracket%20Spacer%202-600x300.jpg

marshall_mosty
12-01-2013, 05:07 PM
The two threaded holes are what you mount the throttle cable to. I have that same thing on my AI car. The CMC rules indicate that you can remove the emissions components, so once the EGR spacer is removed, you will the the delete plat as shown in your post to attach the throttle cable.

mach1
12-02-2013, 06:57 PM
The two threaded holes are what you mount the throttle cable to. I have that same thing on my AI car. The CMC rules indicate that you can remove the emissions components, so once the EGR spacer is removed, you will the the delete plat as shown in your post to attach the throttle cable.

Good deal, thanks for the confirmation.

RichardP
12-03-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure I agree with Marshall's assessment. If the rules don't say you can use that aftermarket part, you can't use that part. The fact that you are allowed to remove emission components doesn't allow you to add other unauthorized parts. I understand the issue and it's a bit of a hole in the rules that doesn't cover that specific combination of parts. The rules weren't written to keep you from using that solution and I doubt anyone would care. That doesn't make it legal. You should get more official clarification...

Richard P.

GlennCMC70
12-03-2013, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure I agree with Marshall's assessment. If the rules don't say you can use that aftermarket part, you can't use that part. The fact that you are allowed to remove emission components doesn't allow you to add other unauthorized parts. I understand the issue and it's a bit of a hole in the rules that doesn't cover that specific combination of parts. The rules weren't written to keep you from using that solution and I doubt anyone would care. That doesn't make it legal. You should get more official clarification...

Richard P.

I agree w/ Richard on this.

Fbody383
12-03-2013, 04:45 PM
I have a 93 cobra throttle body and an explorer intake, no where to mount the throttle cable to, would something like this be CMC legal?

You should get more official clarification...

I agree w/ Richard on this.

So where do folks using an allowed throttle body and intake, mount the throttle cable?

7.21.4 All Cars may install a restrictor between the air filter and intake manifold to reduce horsepower and
torque. The diameter and thickness of the restrictor plate orifice(s) shall be noted on the Dyno Sheet and
must match at all times. Carbureted cars may install a mechanical throttle stop on the carburetor linkage for
the same purpose.

I guess (if you are limited to one, i.e. "a restrictor") if you ultimately need a restrictor with a smaller opening... it will have to be permanently attached. (sorry, couldn't resist)

I also searched on "spring" thinking I remembered a "2 spring" requirment in the throttle system but it's not there.

marshall_mosty
12-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Per 7.21.4, I would call it a restrictor, mark the size on the dyno sheet, and go on...