PDA

View Full Version : shaved tires

michaelmosty
03-28-2006, 06:48 PM
I had a question re. shaved tires.
I got my new shaved tire (4/32) over the weekend and everything looked good except there was a section on the tire that still showed a little tread. I know it's hard to visualize w/out a picture (I'll get one posted soon cuz I'm out of town). The complete tread is shaved but it appears there is a portion that just didn't get cut deep enough. I haven't had a chance to measure it w/ a depth gauge but I would guess that the tire is at 4/32 w/ the "section" at around 5 - 5.5/32. The "section" is about the size of your hand and on one side of the tire.

Again, I'll get a pic. posted soon but I wanted to get a heads up to see if anyone has seen this w/ their shaving jobs.
TIA,

NASA13
03-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Sounds like the ones Frisby did for me. They looked to be shaved by a sharp toothed beaver being held by a drunk one legged cross dresser wearing high heels.
I never got those tires to balance without 9-10 ounces per tire.
Who shaved them?? what type of machine?
Anyway it doesnt sound like a huge problem. Will effect balance but lap times should only be a few seconds off pace. :D

michaelmosty
04-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Here are pics. of the tire I got from Vilven. The shave job looks excellent except for the portion that didn't get shaved as much as the rest of the tire.

http://ryanrobinson.us/mosty/PICT0106.JPG
Clean shave

http://ryanrobinson.us/mosty/PICT0107.JPG
Unclean portion

Let me know what ya'll think.

MikeP99Z
04-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Strange. I've never seen one come from Vilven that way.

Put it on the rear for the first couple sessions, it should be fine after that.

Or if it really bothers you, send it back and ask for another one.

oz98cobra
04-03-2006, 04:30 PM
See how it looks on the balancer when it's mounted up - if it's round, then it should be OK - but if it has excessive runout, send it back.

MikeP99Z
04-03-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure you can return it after it has been mounted.

michaelmosty
04-03-2006, 05:10 PM
I have yet to mount it for that very reason.
I called Vilven last week but Bob is out of the office and I am waiting on a call back from them. Their line has just been ringing all day, no answer.

I guess I just have to wait and see.

oz98cobra
04-03-2006, 05:49 PM
How are they going to know? Don't they have to mount them to shave them?

Good point though - get their permission to mount it to check it first, then you are covered

micah
04-03-2006, 10:59 PM
did vilven hire the same guy bobby archer was using?