PDA

View Full Version : Rear wing rules 7.5.5

mach1
05-05-2014, 05:52 PM
7.5.5 Any rear spoiler/wing that fits the following criteria may be used:
1. A vertical line from every point on the spoiler/wing and end plates must intersect the car
body/bumper cover when the car is on a level surface.
2. The maximum height of any point on the spoiler/wing from any point on the deck lid/rear
hatch may not be greater than 12.0 inches.
3. The overall depth (leading edge to trailing edge) including end plates may not be more than
12.0 inches.
4. The spoiler/wing and mounts as installed must be readily available to the public from a retail
source for less than $700.
5. The wing must be fixed for competition and may not be adjusted from the driver’s seat

My question is, the stock hatch has a "spoiler" on it already, it contains a brake light and it attached by five hundred (it seems like) studs into the hatch. Does the 12 inch rule include that stock spoiler?
http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/files/1993-vibrant-white-mustang-lx-03.jpg

Also, based on the wording, that height number does NOT include the end plates, just the spoiler/wing, just wanted to make sure that was the case. So the wing can be 12in, the end plates may go up higher than that and still be legal.

Rsmith350
05-06-2014, 08:19 AM
The MAXIMUM height of ANY point on the spoiler/wing from ANY point on the DECK LID/rear hatch may not be greater than 12.0 inches.

The end plates are part of the spoiler and not considered a separate piece. The measurement is from the deck lid and does not include any present spoiler. This rule was based off the Cobra R wing if I'm not mistaken. Don't know if that helps at all.

mach1
05-06-2014, 08:41 AM
The MAXIMUM height of ANY point on the spoiler/wing from ANY point on the DECK LID/rear hatch may not be greater than 12.0 inches.

The end plates are part of the spoiler and not considered a separate piece. The measurement is from the deck lid and does not include any present spoiler. This rule was based off the Cobra R wing if I'm not mistaken. Don't know if that helps at all.

The fact that #1 and #3 explicitly define the end plates leads me to believe that #2 does not include the end plates.

michaelmosty
05-06-2014, 12:47 PM
PiMp WiNg yO!!!!!!!!!!

mach1
05-06-2014, 12:56 PM
PiMp WiNg yO!!!!!!!!!!

thanx brah!!!
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/attachments/43006d1331263489-riced-out-mustang.jpg

blk96gt
05-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Wasn't there someone who asked a Ford engineer how much downforce the Cobra R wing generated and he replied with "How much does it weigh"?

Fbody383
05-06-2014, 01:57 PM
If it doesn't say you can then you cannot

7.5.5 Any rear spoiler/wing that fits the following criteria may be used:
1. A vertical line from every point on the spoiler/wing and end plates must intersect the car
body/bumper cover when the car is on a level surface.
2. The maximum height of any point on the spoiler/wing from any point on the deck lid/rear
hatch may not be greater than 12.0 inches.
3. The overall depth (leading edge to trailing edge) including end plates may not be more than
12.0 inches.
4. The spoiler/wing and mounts as installed must be readily available to the public from a retail
source for less than $700.
5. The wing must be fixed for competition and may not be adjusted from the driver’s seat

The fact that #1 and #3 explicitly define the end plates leads me to believe that #2 does not include the end plates.

#1 defines the "box" that the wing/end plates/spoiler must be in - i.e. over the rest of the body work.
#2 defines the tallest point(s) of the wing/end plates/spoiler.
#3 defines the front to back size of the wing/end plates/spoiler.

Ross is the tech guy and other smart guys will chime in - I think the "CMC spirit of the rule" is that the 12" height includes any end plate(s).

I don't mind being wrong if we get a good clear answer to move forward with.

Al Fernandez
05-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Good logic Tyler; given 1 and 3 specifically include end plates that therefore means 2 doesnt include end plates. Alternatively you could say that if 2 doesnt include end plates then it'd be pretty hard to justify installing end plates at all since nowhere in 7.5.5 or anywhere else does it say you can install vertical aerodynamic devices on the rear of the car other than as part of a spoiler/wing. If they are therefore part of spoiler/wing then 2 (and 4 and 5) applies to them as well. Look at it another way and focus on intent (you reading this Mitch? lol). Taking your logic to its inevitable end would result in cars having 12" wide vertical plates stretching several feet above the roof in order to keep a car in check when starting to slip sideways. Picture a Superbird wing with the horizontal side near the deck. Clearly that isnt what we want to see in a CMC car, so that interpretation wouldnt make sense.

Anyway less than perfect wording I'll agree. I'll take a note that for next year. Perhaps we should just include the end plates in 7.5.5 and not repeat it in 1-5.