PDA

View Full Version : 35mm

y5e06
06-04-2014, 05:04 PM
Any 4th gen guys try a 35mm front bar? Results & feedback?
now that the rules allow aftermarket, they aren't too hard to get.
Strano has a hollow one and it is supposedly only about 5lbs heavier than stock.
i'm contemplating trying one. its much easier to swap at the track than springs...
currently 700/250 w/ 32/19

ShadowBolt
06-04-2014, 06:27 PM
Any 4th gen guys try a 35mm front bar? Results & feedback?
now that the rules allow aftermarket, they aren't too hard to get.
Strano has a hollow one and it is supposedly only about 5lbs heavier than stock.
i'm contemplating trying one. its much easier to swap at the track than springs...
currently 700/250 w/ 32/19

Corey was as fast as anyone at Hallett in your car. If he showed up for meetings and turned in contact reports he may have won the Shootout.

Jerry

y5e06
06-04-2014, 06:34 PM
believe me, that has not escaped my attention.
so, "shut up and drive"?
on another note, the car setup hasn't changed a bit since hallett 2013

Suck fumes
06-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Have you at least checked it to make sure it's square? Haha

AI#97
06-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Since you are on a different tire now, aren't all the old spring rates questionable? Surprised you aren't chasing rates similar to AI especially since you have plenty of options with shocks and valving. Sway bars are the final tuning point. If the spring rates and shocks are off, you are chasing your ass. Understand what the tire likes first and work back from that. Before we put a k member and watts link on Misty's Camaro it was basically a 500hp cmc car. Upping the spring rates netted nearly 3 seconds on an R6 Hoosier and kept the tires under the car. Going up in bar will only make the car have a narrow window if grip and less drive able. With the soft rates you posted and standard shocks, the car can barely manage weight transfer in any direction.

Dulaney
06-05-2014, 02:11 PM
I run the Strano 35mm front bar, but I don't know how well my experience will relate to CMC.

Casey_SS
06-05-2014, 03:46 PM
I've always run the same 35mm Strano front bar with the stock 19mm rear bar...literally since the car was my daily driver. I like it fine but never played with the smaller bar to compare. With my old CMCish spring rates (800/275) and 3 blown shocks, the car tended toward understeer and really loved trailbraking, for whatever that's worth. In my case, there was a lot of front dive and roll which caused most of the understeer...however, working out how much was caused by bars vs. springs vs. shocks would take a lot of beer and probably some math (pfft). In any case, these cars sling a LOT of weight around. With your spring rates, I think you would benefit from the bigger bar.

ShadowBolt
06-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Since you are on a different tire now, aren't all the old spring rates questionable? Surprised you aren't chasing rates similar to AI especially since you have plenty of options with shocks and valving. Sway bars are the final tuning point. If the spring rates and shocks are off, you are chasing your ass. Understand what the tire likes first and work back from that. Before we put a k member and watts link on Misty's Camaro it was basically a 500hp cmc car. Upping the spring rates netted nearly 3 seconds on an R6 Hoosier and kept the tires under the car. Going up in bar will only make the car have a narrow window if grip and less drive able. With the soft rates you posted and standard shocks, the car can barely manage weight transfer in any direction.

Has anyone in CMC changed spring rates after going to RR's? I did not change the 55 yet but the car feels about the same as with RA1's. Just wondering what others have done.......not that they would tell the truth.

JJ

marshall_mosty
06-05-2014, 05:05 PM
I changed my rates approx 25% stiffer on all four corners.

ShadowBolt
06-05-2014, 05:25 PM
I changed my rates approx 25% stiffer on all four corners.

Is that because the RR has a softer sidewall? I want to understand.

JJ

marshall_mosty
06-05-2014, 05:53 PM

JJ

My thought process is the higher doing rates will equate to less suspension change due to roll and therefore a more even contact patch. Since these tires don't like to be abused, I was trying to put together the whole package and that required changes on both ends. However, I think I went a bit too high on the rears.

Trublu
06-05-2014, 07:54 PM

JJ
Are you sure the sidewall is softer on the RR?

ShadowBolt
06-06-2014, 07:15 AM
Are you sure the sidewall is softer on the RR?

I don't know anything about the tire except it doe not like a driver with my style (not a good style) of sliding. I just assumed if Marshall went up on spring rates that he thought he lost some spring rate from the tires.

JJ

AI#97
06-06-2014, 07:50 AM
I don't know anything about the tire except it doe not like a driver with my style (not a good style) of sliding. I just assumed if Marshall went up on spring rates that he thought he lost some spring rate from the tires.

JJ
Dot slicks hate heat. overheating them kills them for longevity too. Might explain why the tires aren't lasting too.

Suck fumes
06-06-2014, 08:12 AM
Spring rates aren't the problem it's air pressure. Just a hint.

marshall_mosty
06-06-2014, 10:41 AM
So to keep mine balanced, I increased the spring rate and dropped the pressures.

y5e06
06-06-2014, 01:05 PM
for 35mm bars, running w/ reinforced brackets? or just the untouched stockers? likely couldn't reinforce for cmc

Dulaney
06-06-2014, 01:56 PM
I've been running the stock brackets.
It's been on my to-do list to gusset them forever, but they show no signs of deformation. Probably one of the only unbent pieces of metal on the underside of my car.

BryanL
06-06-2014, 04:28 PM
I ran 700/225 with 32/19 from the beginning and never made a change. Before Cresson I added the holy grail 35mm bar. I dragged Mitch out to help on Friday-it had a push so we put in 250's. Car was better but still had a push-Mitch made some pressure changes to get less grip in the front and more in the rear and it felt pretty good-better than ever before and I was on heat cycled RA1's. Friday night after dinner in the dark I gave the car a little toe out (I think) but never checked it. Then Saturday I put some RA1's on that were 2-3 years old with well over 20 heat cycles and the car felt awesome to me-better than ever and I was faster than I have ever been there and in comparison to others. So for me it was a great improvement-though what I don't know is if it would have been better if I just upped the rears to 250's and played with air pressures, toe, etc.
Of course I'll never know with that car anymore. I do have the same setup on the new 24 but it didn't feel as good at TWS.

Bottom line to me is that unless you take the time to really test, take temps, make changes, run the same track and are a good enough driver to tell the difference etc. it's all just pissing in the wind-which is what I will likely continue doing. I'll still love doing it but I just haven't found that I am going to take the time necessary to do what it takes. I also won't go to bed before 10:00 on a race weekend either.
Wow-this reminds me that Hallett is around the corner and I haven't looked at my car or even registered. I love Hallett so I'll be there but I'm ready to go to the lake once summer rolls around.

Trublu
06-06-2014, 10:22 PM
I love Hallett so I'll be there but I'm ready to go to the lake once summer rolls around.[/QUOTE]

Casey's family and mine had a great weekend at lake Somerville last weekend. We broke both our boats before getting there so it was just like being at the track. Looking forward to Hallet, I'll have some dinner on the BBQ for those arriving Thursday night.

Fbody383
06-09-2014, 08:42 AM
I'll have some dinner on the BBQ for those arriving Thursday night. Put the #39 down for two for dinner; what can we bring?

Trublu
06-09-2014, 09:33 AM
Put the #39 down for two for dinner; what can we bring?

Planning on burgers or something fairly simple. Bring whatever you think works or just bring yourselves

BryanL
06-09-2014, 01:32 PM
I love Hallett so I'll be there but I'm ready to go to the lake once summer rolls around.

Casey's family and mine had a great weekend at lake Somerville last weekend. We broke both our boats before getting there so it was just like being at the track. Looking forward to Hallet, I'll have some dinner on the BBQ for those arriving Thursday night.[/QUOTE]
Sorry to hear both boats broke but that is funny-I can imagine Casey covered in bilge slime working on the boat. I'll be there Thursday night and will bring something along with BL.