PDA

View Full Version : COTA this weekend

Suck fumes
06-25-2014, 10:45 PM
If anyone wants to drive COTA, www.edgeaddicts.com is having an open track event all weekend. 5 sessions per day plus tours of the track. Price is a little steep but you get what you pay for. I'll be there coaching if anyone has questions.

Dulaney
06-26-2014, 10:17 AM
I have no idea how someone justifies a grand for a weekend entry fee, even at a track like this.

I whine and complain when my all-up expenses for the weekend total a grand. Maybe I'm too cheap.

Suck fumes
06-26-2014, 12:10 PM
Yah it's pretty steep. You guys should get in with one of the driving organizations and coach. Then it's free! And you get to drive cars you usually only see on TV.

kbrewmr2
06-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Yeah I won't complain anymore about the $6XX I paid to race there last year now... yikes.

It's a freakin' sweet track, fun layout nice place and such... but $1k screw that.

BryanL
06-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Econ 101 -- Supply and Demand

While you think the P is in disequilibrium due to the S it maybe at equilibrium and if TWS closes the P might go up.

I'll be looking for the next CPI to exclude Track Weekend fees along with anything else that shows there is inflation.

Suck fumes
06-26-2014, 05:31 PM
If NASA ran here I would think the entry fee would be in the $600 range due to the higher number of participants which is more reasonable considering the track rental cost. These open track days don't have as many people which is why it's so expensive.

marshall_mosty
06-27-2014, 11:51 AM
If you do the simple math...

4 run groups of 35 cars = 140 cars
$970 per car * 140 cars = $135,800

If NASA brought 400 cars (which would be easy to do with the appeal of COTA)

$135,800/400 = $339 per entrant

This is assuming the NASA rental would utilize all the same type of infrastructure as this event and that the operating margins of both groups are the same... Seems to be quasi-feasible...

kbrewmr2
06-27-2014, 12:40 PM
it's always more than simple math tho :-/

marshall_mosty
06-27-2014, 02:25 PM
That's what the assumptions were for. :)

mach1
06-27-2014, 03:28 PM
$339 per entrant
IN, where do I pay? Take my money already!!

HoustonNW
06-27-2014, 09:27 PM

Always more than simple math, and I will continue to argue that a purpose built F1 track on the current F1 schedule will have more allure and value than any other track in the country.

Ken and I have discussed online why COTA is so arrogant and expensive. He argues that there are plenty of other tracks with F1 history, that there are plenty of other tracks that are at the COTA level of condition and facilities.

My position still stands: purpose built and on the current schedule

Just curious, is the track that good or is the F1 connection really why you want to drive it?

Suck fumes
06-27-2014, 10:37 PM
The track and facilities are just that good and like no other here in Texas or within a thousand miles.

ShadowBolt
06-29-2014, 01:52 PM
The track and facilities are just that good and like no other here in Texas or within a thousand miles.

How far is Barber? I have never been there but I was told it is the nicest in the US. I also heard they get less than half what COTA gets. For me I say screw-them (COTA). Not that is makes a difference but the grass roots supported them and once they got open they don't need us.

JJ

Suck fumes
06-29-2014, 08:23 PM
One of our customers brought his Indy car that was driven by Michael Andretti in 1986. It's like a time capsul. 1456

Beautiful weather too! The track is really grippy now that the pavement is good and broken in with all the rubber on it.

kbrewmr2
06-30-2014, 08:13 AM
Barber's track itself is a little boring to me. Total package I'd rank it behind VIR

marshall_mosty
06-30-2014, 12:26 PM
One of our customers brought his Indy car that was driven by Michael Andretti in 1986. It's like a time capsul. 1456

Beautiful weather too! The track is really grippy now that the pavement is good and broken in with all the rubber on it.

Very cool!!!

David Love AI27
07-01-2014, 11:03 AM
How far is Barber? I have never been there but I was told it is the nicest in the US. I also heard they get less than half what COTA gets. For me I say screw-them (COTA). Not that is makes a difference but the grass roots supported them and once they got open they don't need us.

JJ

Barber is beautiful... Don't go off tho... they charge a resodding fee

kbrewmr2
07-01-2014, 11:42 AM
Barber is beautiful... Don't go off tho... they charge a resodding fee

I wish people would stop spreading this misinformation. Original track management would, yeah. They also didn't work there anymore past around year 2 of the place being open.... they're LONG GONE now.

Current management is actually fairly reasonable. They're a bit high on their armco replacement rates, but aren't going out there and measuring your 4-off marks and billing for that stuff anymore. Plus some of the common run-off areas are now paved anyway.

Suck fumes
07-01-2014, 01:21 PM
COTA measures the distance of your Armco damage haha

kbrewmr2
07-01-2014, 05:14 PM
Barber you pay by the section - most cars take out two or three rows and then multiply by how many sections you slide down and dent.