PDA

View Full Version : MSRH - Not gonna make it........

GlennCMC70
01-14-2015, 09:32 PM
I had made it a priority to make every event of 2015 since I had been missing so many events the past couple years. Alot of this in years past was work related due to our company aquiring towers from other companies the last 2 years running (17,000 towers in 2 years). I figured that was behind me going into 2015. My kids are the other reason. They really do consume your time, and more and more each and every year. Both my girls play 3 seasons of softball each year (spring, summer, fall). They both play basketball in the off season (which I also help coach both of them). Add to that, my oldest made the middle school basketball team this year. So she is doubled up this "off season". This often requires myself and my wife to take a kid each and head off in opposite directions, sometimes once or twice mid week as well. Not complaining though.

So, on to the point. I had planned to be there for MSRH w/out the car (likely parked all year) and put alot of attention towards the series. Well yesterday work dumped on me big. Our company is making a bid on Verizon's towers. 12,500 of them. I had to drop everything and scout sites on my company's behalf. Deadline is Friday COB. Got a long list. Working 12hr days all week and I'm trying to squeeze in another work project at the same time. I just don't have it in me to drive down Friday night After what is going to be a long week. Plus we have another weekend of madness coming w/ kid sports. Karlie was suposed to tryout for a softball team today, but it was moved to Sat. She also has a basketball game that day. The kicker is Morgan has a game as well and it is out of town. Karlie's tryout now conflicts w/ Morgan's game and my wife will not be able to get them both to where they need to be. I have to be here in order for that all to happen. I can't justify being gone all weekend.

What I hope is my last college class starts Tuesday as well. Runs through May.

W/ that said, Al has agreed to fill in for me this weekend.

FYI - Parking the car for the year as I plan to use the money for racing on a new short block (402/408 stroker) fo rthe tow rig - it has 175K on it.
My kids sports will start to drop off as Morgan is taking all honors classes and she is realizing the attention those need and that sports will need to take a back seat.
College is almost done...... i hope.

Hang in there w/ me guys as I push through this next 6 months.

F'ing bathroom still isn't done................

Storm Trooper
01-14-2015, 11:34 PM
You will be missed!

ShadowBolt
01-15-2015, 07:57 AM
None of my business but IMHO you are letting your kids do way too much. Hell one year after Jay played Little League he signed up for "Fall Ball". I F'ing hate baseball at any level except collage so after playing two seasons back to back I said "never again". The Fall Ball is out. From then on he just played Football so we only had one sport per year to deal with. Now if your girl/girls are good enough to get collage paid for playing a sport I would only play that one since that could save you a hundred grand for each kid. Like I said though none of my business.

We will talk about you Sat. night.

Jerry

Alien
01-15-2015, 08:30 AM
F'ing bathroom still isn't done................
Guess the guy with the mule wasn't that helpful.

GlennCMC70
01-15-2015, 08:53 AM
None of my business but IMHO you are letting your kids do way too much. Hell one year after Jay played Little League he signed up for "Fall Ball". I F'ing hate baseball at any level except collage so after playing two seasons back to back I said "never again". The Fall Ball is out. From then on he just played Football so we only had one sport per year to deal with. Now if your girl/girls are good enough to get collage paid for playing a sport I would only play that one since that could save you a hundred grand for each kid. Like I said though none of my business.

We will talk about you Sat. night.

Jerry

I'm sure I will be the subject of several pointed conversations. Wouldn't expect anything less.

As for the kids - advice always welcome from anyone who has lived on this Earth as long as you (ha,ha).
I totally get what your saying. I know my kids will never get into college on a sports ride.
My goal is to keep them doing something all the time. I don't want them to know what its like to lay around the house w/ time to get into trouble and learn to be lazy. They have always been kept busy. They know nothing else. I was raised the same way. My daily life was taking care of horses and other animals before and after school. I played all sports all year, summer baseball as well. Obviously school during the day and I had a job at night once I got old enough.
Morgan is always trying to add new stuff to the list. We work w/ her to keep it cut down if you can believe that.
Karlie is not so driven. She can get stressed more easily. She will likely end up on a travel softball team this year.

My thoughts are that once they are in college, it will seem like a breeze compaired to what they are used to doing. I also hope this pace will set in and they will always seek this level of "staying busy".

GlennCMC70
01-15-2015, 08:56 AM
Guess the guy with the mule wasn't that helpful.

A couple hours after that happened, Morgan asked if we were getting a mule.
Kids.......

ShadowBolt
01-15-2015, 09:08 AM
A couple hours after that happened, Morgan asked if we were getting a mule.
Kids.......

The mule deal had me rolling on the floor. We will miss you this weekend.

JJ

AllZWay
01-15-2015, 09:21 AM
Glenn... It is funny how you and our kids have followed a similar path and thus led to the same tough decisions. I haven't missed the racing as much as expected, but do get the itch pretty bad after watching everyone's videos.... and I really miss hanging and shooting the BS with everyone. I really enjoy having the extra cash to spend on other things though. I just bought another freaking Triumph TR7...I currently own three of these disasters.

I have heard the same story of our kids doing too much and Jaycie probably is doing too much. The problem is that she is pretty good at three sports, soccer, basketball, and volleyball and also good at band. If you don't let them play now, they get behind the other kids that do play and it would limit her high school chances to play. She loves to play and compete, so we hate to limit it and so far she is still maintaining straight A's in class so we don't see the need to limit her.

At some point she does have to pair it down and starting next year she is giving up band first. In high school, she will probably have to pick two sports that don't have conflicting schedules.

Rob Liebbe
01-15-2015, 10:16 AM
Glenn,

Just keep in mind that you don't want to push your agenda on your kids too much. If they are enjoying playing that much then it is a great thing. If they aren't, it can lead to resentment and turn into anger against the parents. Also keep in mind that they can love it for many years and then turn on a dime and want to quit suddenly. A sudden change or stop can be especially hard on the parents who have spent extraordinary time, money and self-sacrifice and who then get mad at the kids for "quitting".

We don't push our kids much at all. They played soccer and baseball when younger but we could tell it just wasn't their thing. We also never felt compelled to keep up with the other kids or falling behind in sports. We have let them sort of choose their own areas of interest or activities. As a result, or boys have developed interest areas that others may not; aviation (the older one flies glider), art (they both have spent hours upon hours creating toys out of wood or building ships to sink in the pool - it has also lead to learning copper soldering, welding and woodworking), video (they create stop action animations), building (a lot of creative free-form Lego projects), scuba and snorkeling, fishing, cars, old mechanical typewriters, models, music, the list goes on.

We still require that they work hard at school and maintain good grades. This is very important to us.

Also, don't forget that a little downtime is not a bad thing. They need it, parents need it, it is a good thing. I understand that you don't want a couple of couch potatoes, nobody does and also believe in good work ethic and striving to do good work, something that is diminishing at an alarming rate in this country. We use a program to limit computer time, try to limit TV time, and will have what we call "no plug-in" days with no computer, TV or any mindless electronics. Heck, I bet my kids haven't touched the Wii in months. They do play a lot of air warfare games on the computer, but still within their time limits. However they must maintain good grades and perform regular chores around the house and help with bigger projects. It really pisses me off if I'm working around the house and the kids are inside sitting on their asses. This situation usually causes some sort of "discussion" between me and the wife.

Y'all are doing a good job with your girls, it was clearly evident the few times when I have seen and interacted with them. Keep up the good work and don't worry, in a few years you can be an old guy like Jerry running all the races you want.

GlennCMC70
01-15-2015, 10:33 AM
James - we told Morgan no on band. Drew the line there.
Morgan is A's and B's but is a 7th grader taking 8th grade classes.

GlennCMC70
01-15-2015, 10:38 AM
Thanks Rob.
More than one way to skin a cat. Main goal is to not raise a liberal voter.
Break the cycle and give your kids a start at least one step higher than you had.
My kids are better now than I ever was.

Rob Liebbe
01-15-2015, 11:43 AM
Thanks Rob.
More than one way to skin a cat. Main goal is to not raise a liberal voter.
Break the cycle and give your kids a start at least one step higher than you had.
My kids are better now than I ever was.

Then you are doing a good job. Making them work and then giving all their money to a non-worker will ensure they won't go liberal.

AllZWay
01-15-2015, 12:03 PM
Also, don't forget that a little downtime is not a bad thing. They need it, parents need it, it is a good thing.

We do declare summer as family time. This is vacation and boating time with no sports. They are active enough on the weekends with wakeboarding, and wakesurfing all summer.

Fbody383
01-15-2015, 04:23 PM
My $0.02.

Protect your marriage first. Take care of your marriage and install the commitment it takes, the sacrifices that are worth the effort, and your kids will pick up on it.

Don't be afraid to let them fail - let them make all the non-fatal mistakes they can. I would much rather my kids make a B or C, work their butts off and be challenged, than coast.

There is a long list of folks that are on "hiatus," temporary or permanent, that I would really enjoy seeing on or off the track.

And I agree on the "cool" stuff; boy child and I were at the Bear Bryant Coach of the Year Award ceremony last night. And I paid too much for tickets to the Advocare Kickoff game... but ask me about the sidelines passes at ECR.

ShadowBolt
01-15-2015, 04:50 PM
Just remember that the "I will race later" may never come. Yes your wife and kids have to come first but time goes by so fast and so many people die never doing the things they dreamed of. I was in my 50's before I ever raced my first race. In three years I will be 60! Treating yourself is important also. You younger guys will wake up and say how in the hell did I get to be 50.

THE MAGIC BANK ACCOUNT

THE AUTHOR IS NOT KNOWN. IT WAS FOUND IN THE BILLFOLD
OF COACH PAUL BEAR BRYANT,
ALABAMA,
AFTER HE DIED IN 1982

The Magic Bank Account

Imagine that you had won the
following *PRIZE* in a contest: Each morning your bank would deposit $86,400
in your private account for your use.

However, this prize has rules:

1. Everything that you didn't
spend during each day would be taken away from you.

2. You may not simply transfer
money into some other account.

3. You may only spend it.

4. Each morning upon awakening,
the bank opens your account with another $86,400 for that day.

5. The bank can end the game
without warning; at any time it can say,“Game Over!". It can close the account
and you will not receive a new one.

What would you personally do?

You would buy anything and
everything you wanted right? Not only for yourself, but for all the people you
love and care for. Even for people you don't know, because you couldn't
possibly spend it all on yourself, right?

You would try to spend every
penny, and use it all, because you knew it would be replenished in the
morning, right?

ACTUALLY, This GAME is REAL

Shocked ???
YES!

Each of us is already a winner
of this *PRIZE*. We just can't seem to see it.

The PRIZE is *TIME*

1. Each morning we awaken to
receive 86,400 seconds
as a gift of life.

2. And when we go to sleep at
night, any remaining time is Not credited to us.

3. What we haven't used up that
day is forever lost.

4. Yesterday is forever gone.

5. Each morning the account is
refilled, but the bank can dissolve your account at any time
WITHOUT WARNING...

SO, what will YOU do with your
86,400 seconds?

Those seconds are worth so much
more than the same amount in dollars. Think about it and remember to
enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than
you think.

So take care of yourself, be
happy, love deeply and enjoy life!

Here's wishing you a wonderful
and beautiful day. Start “spending”....

"DON’T COMPLAIN ABOUT GROWING OLD…!"

SOME PEOPLE DON'T GET THE
PRIVILEGE!

This was also in his wallet

The “Big Trade” Prayer

“This is the beginning of a new day. God has given me this day to use as I will. I can waste it or use it for good.

What I do today is very important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever, leaving something in its place I have traded for it.

I want it to be gain, not loss …good, not evil … success, not failure in order that I shall not forget the price I paid for it.”

mach1
01-15-2015, 05:23 PM
I am 30 yrs old, have 2 children, one is 3 yrs and one is 6 months.
After my first I had major issues with my wife, she didn't think I was dedicated enough to my children after I would say things like "Just because we have children doesn't mean I have to die as a person"
What I mean by that is I still want to work towards my hopes and dreams, as well as my children's. Happy parents usually make better parents, I have to work much harder now but it's worth it, my true passion is racing and automobiles, and my children have brought me amazing feelings that I have never felt before, a love you cannot describe until you have been there. It's just a balance that I have to manage, this thread really has me worried about when they get older though!

BlueFirePony
01-15-2015, 05:39 PM
As for the kids - advice always welcome from anyone who has lived on this Earth as long as you (ha,ha).
I totally get what your saying. I know my kids will never get into college on a sports ride.
I'm still (just) on the first half of a century but I'll put my nickel in. I've seen this from the extremes - no push from parent, too much push, and (I hope) just the right amount.

After the 3rd grade my parents did not push me at all in sports or anything. Somehow I found myself pushing myself. In any given week while I was in high school, btw practices and games I'd have 4 or 5 sports activities (martial arts and cross country all year, then hockey, basketball, baseball, football, soccer, racquet, and so on) and always managed to get good grades, have fun with friends and get into plenty of trouble.
The one thing I do regret is NOT having some one push me a bit. I made all-star in baseball and cross country and competed against Olympic athletes in tournaments and never understood the opportunity that was there. I found out too late that scouts were watching me in several sports and only one of my coaches (my sensei actually) gave a shit to provide any guidance - though I broke my hand and that ended that.

It was really hard for me to NOT push my kids, but I made sure they had opportunities, and let them go at their pace, with guidance.
All the kids did well in school and sports.,
Only Camo really had any "big stage" athletic talent but he really did not want to pursue anything beyond just fun competition. When it got to the point that his pure natural talent was not enough, he bowed out, but with his eyes wide open and I really doubt he will regret his decision.

I saw a lot of extreme parents over the 15 years I coached soccer and hockey. I've seen parents really bad behavior (climbing the glass to yell at a ref, the coach or even their own kid...even with scouts in attendance several times). I've coached kids where the parents NEVER came to a practice or game, despite requests from me....just like me, the kid rode his bike to and from the rink. I've seen kids who are truly overwhelmed with the load they have but won't tell their parents, but fortunately they trusted me and when they wanted me to, I brokered a conversation. Having to tell a parent that their kid would like them to come to a game once in a while...how the hell does that even need to happen?

Anyway, giving your kids the opportunity to participate in sports (or band, or math Olympics or whatever) is key...from there, open your parenting book to page ...uhmm...oh yeah, there is no book ;)

GlennCMC70
01-15-2015, 05:49 PM
Morgan got diagnosed with a possible fracture in her foot today.
Basketball is over for her for this season. Likely will affect softball too.
Not gonna make the event as i placed balls in motion based on me being here.
Funny how quick things change.

rleng1
01-15-2015, 06:11 PM
Glenn, you doing a great job. All except on acquiring the mule. Enjoy the girls all you can.
You can race in the old folks league with Jerry and I when you get old enough.
Cheers.

Storm Trooper
01-15-2015, 07:47 PM
Glenn, you doing a great job. All except on acquiring the mule. Enjoy the girls all you can.
You can race in the old folks league with Jerry and I when you get old enough.
Cheers.
I resemble that remark ��