PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Guys: Need Spring Help

Supercharged111
08-10-2015, 01:25 PM
My friend has an 04 Cobra and wants to get some decent springs for autocross. All he can find are H&R Race but the fronts are progressive. I figure there has to be a more universal solution to this like there is for my Camaro. He has fewer pre-packaged options with the IRS, but I figure there are some in here who've been down this path before.

ShadowBolt
08-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Several of us race with H&R's. Most run Super Race, Aaron and I run the Super Sport.

mach1
08-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Stiff is usually the name of the game with autox, get big bars on the car too.

michaelmosty
08-11-2015, 05:30 PM
My friend has an 04 Cobra and wants to get some decent springs for autocross. All he can find are H&R Race but the fronts are progressive. I figure there has to be a more universal solution to this like there is for my Camaro. He has fewer pre-packaged options with the IRS, but I figure there are some in here who've been down this path before.

Your friend is just going to have very limited options when it comes to stock-style replacement springs. Considering how cheap / easy it is to convert to a coil-over setup there is a very small aftermarked out there.

Pranav
08-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Ah the joys of autocross, a "simple" conversion would bump into some stupid class.

So glad those days are in my past.

Supercharged111
08-11-2015, 07:24 PM
Yeah, exactly. He's all worried about class, but his competition in AK doesn't seem that great. That said, they do race with handicaps so shooting for an overall fastest time (feasible for him) might not necessarily net him an overall win. So the progressiveness of the H&Rs doesn't feel funny? How about shocks? He's got factory Bilsteins right now and we're trying to decide how stiff is too stiff for those.

AI#97
08-11-2015, 10:27 PM
There are 100's of springs available out there....maybe 1000's. You only need the diameter, free length and expected rate. Blue coil, landrum, h&r, the dirt track stores and many others can get you anything.

As for rates, 03 cobras have tons of weight over the nose. Most of those H&r sets quoted are far too soft. I suggest your friend call maximum motor sports and terry fair at vorshlag.

Supercharged111
08-12-2015, 11:53 AM
He did call MMS and whoever he talked to was hellbent on selling him some coilovers (which bumps him out of his current class). I've been pushing him the universal route as he can cut the fronts to length and he can get some dirt cheap springs from SW Speed. The rears though are flat on both ends and I'm not sure if he can get springs in 1/2" length increments to achieve the desired ride height. We were able to determine they're 5.5" in diameter and 600# linear front and rear stock. I'm thinking no more than 800# on stock shocks. What are some popular shock choices for running in the 900# range?

mach1
08-12-2015, 02:48 PM
He did call MMS and whoever he talked to was hellbent on selling him some coilovers (which bumps him out of his current class). I've been pushing him the universal route as he can cut the fronts to length and he can get some dirt cheap springs from SW Speed. The rears though are flat on both ends and I'm not sure if he can get springs in 1/2" length increments to achieve the desired ride height. We were able to determine they're 5.5" in diameter and 600# linear front and rear stock. I'm thinking no more than 800# on stock shocks. What are some popular shock choices for running in the 900# range?

I run off the shelf Eibach 5x11" springs, they go from like 200lb to 1600lb, thats for the front, I don't know anything about the IRS setup on those. Keep in mind the motion ratio on the stock location springs, 1200lb spring is roughly 300lbs at the wheel.

AI#97
08-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Call Terry. He LOVES playing within the class rules for autoX . did it for years and can get you parts and headed in the right direction.

Supercharged111
08-12-2015, 07:10 PM
Terry?

Wade
08-12-2015, 08:24 PM
http://www.vorshlag.com/

Terry Fair, Owner

Supercharged111
08-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Ahh, missed the Vorshlag reference in the other post. Reading is hard.