PDA

View Full Version : Water pump?

Pranav
03-14-2016, 01:15 PM
Just a very generic question: how long would you expect a water pump to last before it weeps from seal failure, and what tricks do you recommend to making it last longer?

Just rolled 112k miles on the Tundra and it has begun weeping coolant, going to replace it this weekend. First higher mileage vehicle I've dealt with that has an external water pump. Prior to this I've always dealt with timing belt cars that had the "hidden" WP replaced proactively as the "while you're in there" when doing the timing belt at 90-105k.

I'm wondering what the new normal is for water pump lifespan is in the timing chain and long life coolant era for most cars.

BryanL
03-15-2016, 11:48 AM
Personally I don't think the long life coolant does anything to make a pump last longer. In fact sometimes I think it can do more damage than regular coolant. I think your mileage is probably average for one to be replaced. My duramax required one in the 140's and a shop told me they normally see them around 125k. Just change the coolant is all I think you can do. Place where I order my duramax parts is an amsoil dealer and he likes the amsoil coolant that is some long life coolant but to me the water pump is simply a wear item that will eventually have to be replaced.

Pranav
03-15-2016, 12:22 PM
I may consider going back to more frequent changes like on the old cars to keep the additives/lubes fresh. I'm seeing a lot of grumbling from Toyota techs saying they're seeing earlier pump failures after the switch to long-life and long intervals.

The recommended schedule was 100k for the first flush, then 50k then on. I did my first one early at 90k and planned to do 60k after. I may just try every 30-45k from here on out and plan to replace the pump at 240k if I make it that far; don't drive as much as I used to. Previous cars usually got 30k flushes on the old style coolant.

Seperately, when this motor came out in '07, they had a rash of pump leaks show up super early (30-70k) miles when Aisin started making pumps in the US for the first time. Toyota updated the part number and warranteed/goodwilled the repairs for everyone that had the issue, but i see that that part number was revised a couple more times, possibly once again after mine was built in '10. I had considered seeing if I could get a goodwill if that was the case, but for $120 in pump+coolant I just don't want to bother risking paying the $115 diagnostic fee and not getting anywhere nor learning how to change my own water pump.