PDA

View Full Version : roll cage inspection holes

Wirtz
10-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Is there a tech inspector on this forum for CMC? Per the rules it asks for 3/16 holes in the required tubes of the cage so the thickness can be verified. I'm just looking to confirm which tubes since they are not specifically listed since I don't want to drill un-needed holes.

I'm guessing this list would cover it;
Main hoop
Main diagonal
A-piller bar
Halo bar
Rear support bar

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Jeff

mitchntx
10-09-2006, 06:05 AM
Drill them when asked ....

marshall_mosty
10-09-2006, 06:44 AM
I'm with Mitch on this one. I discussed with Richard Pedersen years ago when I was building my car. I received the same suggestion. There is no need to unnecessarily compromise the soundness of the cage for an inspection that "may" never happen.

y5e06
10-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Drill them when asked ....
Thats what I'm thinking.
At my annual tech I only had one hole and it is in the main hoop. that is it. They didn't ask for more nor measured thickness. I had an extra drill bit in the tool box just in case. Plenty of CMC/AI folks w/ drills at the events.
Of course, I'll be prepared again for the '07 annual

oz98cobra
10-09-2006, 01:57 PM
One hole in the main hoop is what we plan to do with the cars we are preparing over the next couple of months - if anyone ever wants to get anal about checking the other tubes, then we can drill them when asked to.

I plan to put the hole in the main hoop down low near where it attaches to the floor plate so as to induce the least amount of weakness possible.

Wirtz
10-09-2006, 04:54 PM
It's a good point. I was thinking of getting them in place before the cage is painted but makes more sense to hold off and see if they are needed at all.

Jeff