PDA

View Full Version : SN95 Set-up Recommendations

WutApex
06-12-2017, 07:23 PM
I’d like to get some opinions on what set-ups the SN95 racers are running associated with springs/shock/sway bars.

I have done some searches on older threads and found some SN95 set-up information (e.g. 900/200 without any other details) but was curious, as the cars have been developed throughout the years, if philosophies have changed as the platform and drivers matured.

Current:

Weight: 3265 w/~6-8gal fuel load
Standard 4-link with Steeda PHB, LCA
Front: 1350 lbs/in
Rear: coilover springs 300lbs/in
Front Sway: will check
Rear Sway: will check (recall it being very small compared to my SN95 Cobra)

As a note, I’ve found my current setup to be fairly neutral; I have not experienced significant tire wear and often my fastest laps are later in the race (likely when I’m not in as much traffic). With that said, I haven’t tried anything else, nor do I get enough seat time to really determine what fits my driving style (which admittedly needs more help than the car). I really don’t have the time or money to conduct trial & error testing – at this point, the set up I configure the car to will be what I run at every track event (other than basic toe/camber/pressure changes).

I’m looking to update the rear spring configuration - as seen in the picture, I’m still running off the old rule set with the shims for adjustments. I’m open to going back to a stock-sized spring or sticking with the smaller diameter coilover – whichever is easier and cheapest…..either way, keeping a linear spring rate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v365/76IHScoutII/CMC/Rear%20Spring%202.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/76IHScoutII/media/CMC/Rear%20Spring%202.jpg.html)

I also need to get rid of my old Tokico Illiminas for some MM race-valved shocks. In my initial contact with Jack Hidley at MM, he suggested MM2 struts and sport-valved shocks but this was based off of the current spring rates, so if I end up changing rates, his recommendation may change. Anyone running the MM2s?

Even though it would be appreciated for any detailed information, I recognize that folks may not want to advertise their specific set-ups – that’s understandable – so I’m available via PM and email also, even if the info provided is a general starting point.

TIA
JP - #28 Rocky Mtn Region

mach1
06-12-2017, 08:07 PM
Some will tell you that 1350's will never work up front, WAY to stiff, I disagree. If the setup is neutral that is the first step. Get some good dampers and call it a day, make adjustments easy enough to keep the car neutral depending on the track. 3 different mustangs with 3 completely different setups have run nearly the exact same times.

ShadowBolt
06-12-2017, 08:19 PM
What Tyler said. The two fastest Mustangs run completely different set-ups. Aaron runs the H&R super sports and Tyler runs springs twice that spring rate. Aaron does not run a pan-hard bar at all. I have ran both set-ups. As long as the car is neutral both will work.

JJ

Suck fumes
06-13-2017, 09:16 AM
my rates are 750/275. 4 link, original 100kmi rear upper CA, no PH bar. AST shocks/struts.

Setup is based on two things: Driving style and whether you like to run over apex curbing on occasion. A stiff car doesn't like curbs.

WutApex
06-13-2017, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the comments - One of my initial concerns is that I think it's neutral, however I'm not at the pointy end of the pack either, so maybe I'm not driving it hard enough to really exploit any weaknesses. So I'm thinking, I'll swap out shocks and replace the coilover with a stock-sized spring, which will hopefully alleviate the clunking noises which I think is coming from the spring and shims moving around.

Any opinion on the MM2s? Anyone running coilover springs out back?

This is probably a better question for Al, but based off the one-liner "Suspension bushing material is unrestricted" (7.33.7), would these be legal? MM Racing Rear Upper Shock Mount (http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM-Racing-Rear-Upper-Shock-Mount-for-MMD-RC0xxxx-series-MM-shock-P1528.aspx). Para 7.33.6 does state that shocks "...attach to the OEM stock unmodified mounting points and do not alter the stock geometry" and my discussion with Jack indicated that technically, this minutely moves the pivot point (just above the shock tower) but also stated that this would not provide any performance benefit. This part really just allows the removal of the rubber bushing in favor of a spherical to reduce deflection/friction. Thoughts?

Supercharged111
06-13-2017, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the comments - One of my initial concerns is that I think it's neutral, however I'm not at the pointy end of the pack either, so maybe I'm not driving it hard enough to really exploit any weaknesses. So I'm thinking, I'll swap out shocks and replace the coilover with a stock-sized spring, which will hopefully alleviate the clunking noises which I think is coming from the spring and shims moving around.

This is probably a better question for Al, but based off the one-liner "Suspension bushing material is unrestricted" (7.33.7), would these be legal? MM Racing Rear Upper Shock Mount (http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM-Racing-Rear-Upper-Shock-Mount-for-MMD-RC0xxxx-series-MM-shock-P1528.aspx). Para 7.33.6 does state that shocks "...attach to the OEM stock unmodified mounting points and do not alter the stock geometry" and my discussion with Jack indicated that technically, this minutely moves the pivot point (just above the shock tower) but also stated that this would not provide any performance benefit. This part really just allows the removal of the rubber bushing in favor of a spherical to reduce deflection/friction. Thoughts?

Thanks for reminding me about this. This is the type of thing that, if allowed (why not?), would be specified as a part that is kosher as a change is specified. For reference, those of us with Unbalanced Engineering shocks on the 4th gen need to space the shock down a bit in the back to allow for more rebound travel or else the car lifts a wheel mid corner and starts hopping. Since there are a good 2-3" worth of thread, this is easily accomplished after a trip to the hardware store for a spacer. Minutely moving your shock up technically increases your bump travel on a lowered car by that much. If we really want to get picky, we could have you add a spacer on the shock before slipping it on, but I think there's so much variance between the legal shocks that it should be considered a moot point. You're not altering your roll center or its axis (which you cheater Fords can :) ) by moving that shock so I saw big whoop.

chris-CMC#35
06-13-2017, 01:55 PM
"Suspension bushing material is unrestricted". Para 7.33.6 does state that shocks "...attach to the OEM stock unmodified mounting points and do not alter the stock geometry" and my discussion with Jack indicated that technically, this minutely moves the pivot point (just above the shock tower) but also stated that this would not provide any performance benefit. This part really just allows the removal of the rubber bushing in favor of a spherical to reduce deflection/friction. Thoughts?

I've been out of the Rules business for awhile, but there is a big difference between "bushing material unrestricted" and messing around with the mounting points. I have an SN95, and I installed spherical bushings without changing the mounting points.

Listen to Tyler: keep it simple. Don't start messing around with too many things.

ShadowBolt
06-13-2017, 03:23 PM

I can tell you that at 8 tents every car feels great. They only start to push and other such bad things when pushing the limits.

The noise you hear may be in the upper control arms. The rubber bushings can go bad really fast and if running a panhard bar it happens even faster. As Aaron said on his car the upper arms and bushings are the original stockers from Ford. My car, Kevin's and Sam's will eat the bushings on one side or the other at least once per season. Theirs eat the bottom bushing of the upper control arm where mines eats the upper. They both run a panhard bar. When I tear up an upper control arm rubber the car will go from neutral to pushing like a dump truck when turning one way. As soon as I replace the arm it goes back to being okay.

JJ

mach1
06-14-2017, 08:52 AM

I am running a 2.5 spring in the back, I made an adapter for the top mount of the car, the control arms are the MM adjustable height ones so it's easy to adjust cross/height

blk96gt
06-14-2017, 10:05 AM
I run the Bilstein HD shocks/struts, MM PHB, H&R Super Race Springs, MM HD lower control arms (no adjustable spring perch), and stock upper control arms. At some point I will probably get the Bilsteins revalved, but I also thought about going with the MM race shocks/struts. I've never done any corner weighting or anything like that.

I've managed to make two full events on my current engine, so if this keeps up I might actually be able to put some money into the suspension.

ShadowBolt
06-14-2017, 01:45 PM
I've managed to make two full events on my current engine, so if this keeps up I might actually be able to put some money into the suspension.

Be careful, don't jinx yourself.

JJ

blk96gt
06-14-2017, 01:57 PM
Be careful, don't jinx yourself.

JJ

My hopes aren't high.