View Full Version : 2018 schedule

Pranav
10-19-2017, 06:12 PM
https://nasatx.com

Jan 27-28 MSRH

Mar 10-11 MSRC

May 4-6 COTA

June 9-10 Hallett

September 13-16 COTA NASA Champs (singular)

October 27-28 NOLA

Pranav
10-19-2017, 06:14 PM
Personally a little bummed that we aren't doing msrh or msrc twice this year to help make up for tws.

On the plus side we have a lot more time between events to recover/prep...

I supposed the lower event count gives us more budget to make the long trip out to NOLA and pay the COTA fees.

ShadowBolt
10-19-2017, 07:57 PM
COTA. Sucks. I least I don't like it. Certainly hate it at the price last year. The cost was crazy and I assume it will be again. Looks like only three race weekends for me in 2018. Really sucks. I guess my days with NASA Texas are numbered. I would much rather go to Cresson a second time or even Houston.....really sad seeing the end. This was the first year ever that I missed more than one race weekend in a season.

JJ

Suck fumes
10-19-2017, 10:07 PM
I am very excited they are going back to one champ race again! Guess I will just run may Cota to dial in car then sit till champs. I have been waiting foe this for years!

blk96gt
10-20-2017, 08:50 AM
Is anyone else planning to do the full schedule?

drecords
10-20-2017, 09:01 AM
Is anyone else planning to do the full schedule?

Planning on it.

Pranav
10-20-2017, 09:02 AM
I am.

blk96gt
10-20-2017, 09:07 AM
That's good. As long as I'm not the only one. I'm still on the fence about COTA, especially if it costs what it did last year.

Supercharged111
10-20-2017, 09:52 AM
I'm pumped nats is at COTA. If everything works out I'll go get my ass kicked there. I know more than 1 RM CMC driver is looking favorably upon this. The last few years it's just been the pumpkin making the haul to run in ST out west. I imagine some GL/MW guys would make the haul too.

BADVENM
10-20-2017, 10:01 AM
removed

Pranav
10-20-2017, 10:02 AM
That's good. As long as I'm not the only one. I'm still on the fence about COTA, especially if it costs what it did last year.

Yeah but on the plus side with 2 less regular events on the schedule it offsets the cost.

ShadowBolt
10-20-2017, 12:54 PM
Yeah but on the plus side with 2 less regular events on the schedule it offsets the cost.

Sounds great. Two less race weekends so you can spend the money to race at another track. Maybe somehow the cost will not be so damn high.

JJ

ShadowBolt
10-20-2017, 12:59 PM
removed

I'm guessing it was aimed at me. Say it. I can take it. I may be the only one that feels the way I do about COTA. Even if the money was the same it would be my least favorite track. I understand for others it is their favorite. Maybe if I could learn to drive it I would like it.

JJ

Pranav
10-20-2017, 01:25 PM
I'm guessing it was aimed at me.

Nah it was a comment about making sure cars are compliance at Nationals, wasn't aimed at you when I read it.

ShadowBolt
10-20-2017, 01:30 PM
Nah it was a comment about making sure cars are compliance at Nationals, wasn't aimed at you when I read it.

Great. I assumed I had stepped on toes saying anything bad about COTA. I'm glad to see at least that is not the case.

JJ

BADVENM
10-20-2017, 02:08 PM
I originally posted about my previous experiences at Nationals and that some of the rules that are in the book get overlooked because they don't give a "performance advantage". I was only asking that if we have a great CMC field that the rules
in the book be followed. I deleted it because it goes on deaf ears and probably will again next year too. I even submitted RCRs asking that those rules which get overlooked because of a lack of "performance advantage" be removed but those were declined.

The alternative would be to bring some cash and protest the overlooked rules infractions to the top of the NASA chain since they'll be there.

Suck fumes
10-20-2017, 02:26 PM
I covered up my glove box so I should be all set now

Pranav
10-20-2017, 02:31 PM
LOL my glovebox is missing, but I'm going to switch to an LS1 dash once I get it out of the parts car so should be 100% compliant.

I need to submit a couple of RCRs for 2018, minor stuff.

Fbody383
10-20-2017, 03:40 PM
I originally posted about my previous experiences at Nationals and that some of the rules that are in the book get overlooked because they don't give a "performance advantage". I think you're spot on. I have a foam core dash cover. If I'm forced to go find a stupid expensive unobtanium one I'll be pissed.

Since I'll plan to go, i'll be asking for very close tech reviews on the car so I don't inadvertently stumble on something stupid.

Guess I'll have to put on some big brakes now...

michaelmosty
10-21-2017, 09:44 AM
Submit a RCR for the 4th gen dash cover!!

BADVENM
10-21-2017, 01:52 PM
It also appears that the mandatory minimum of 4 cars for a championship race has been removed this year. Wonder if it will continue next year.

Fbody383
10-21-2017, 02:35 PM
Submit a RCR for the 4th gen dash cover!! Is the form on the national CMC site? What's the deadline?

Fbody383
10-21-2017, 02:37 PM
It also appears that the mandatory minimum of 4 cars for a championship race has been removed this year. Wonder if it will continue next year.

Wouldn't think it would be an issue for CMC since some of us who might struggle to go can make COTA work. I had tentative plans this year... but I'm already working on firm '18 plans.

I would guess the AICMCTexas group will have at least a conversation (if not a thread here) by the January '18 season opener.

GlennCMC70
10-22-2017, 10:20 AM
NASA Tx ran MSRC 3 times the first year I raced with them.
No reason a repeat in opposing directions cant be had to fill the schedule.

t500hps
10-22-2017, 03:57 PM
I'm pumped nats is at COTA. If everything works out I'll go get my ass kicked there. I know more than 1 RM CMC driver is looking favorably upon this. The last few years it's just been the pumpkin making the haul to run in ST out west. I imagine some GL/MW guys would make the haul too.

I'm in Mid Atlantic (Virginia) and hope to make the haul to COTA next year too. Will certainly try to talk a couple regional guys to come also but it's about a 24 hour tow.......and I'm old enough that towing that long on my own is going to be a problem!

Russ Carter

rleng1
10-22-2017, 03:58 PM
I am very excited they are going back to one champ race again! Guess I will just run may Cota to dial in car then sit till champs. I have been waiting foe this for years!

Pretty sure you have to start 5 races to qualify for Nats. So if you only race the Toyo, non inverts, you’ll have to run 3 race weekends.

Suck fumes
10-22-2017, 09:35 PM
do hpde sessions count towards nats? Trying to get all my races in on one weekend.

rleng1
10-22-2017, 10:41 PM
do hpde sessions count towards nats? Trying to get all my races in on one weekend.

Nope, but you might be able to run TT.

2017 Racing requirements:

5 points paying races (or competing at three weekends)
Up to 2 TT points days count toward the five races
Enduro of any length counts as two races
Any registered team member planning to compete must complete the qualifications individually

rleng1
10-23-2017, 05:30 PM
Nope, but you might be able to run TT.

2017 Racing requirements:

5 points paying races (or competing at three weekends)
Up to 2 TT points days count toward the five races
Enduro of any length counts as two races
Any registered team member planning to compete must complete the qualifications individually

So it's either a non-Toyo invert, or an additional weekend.
Pretty sure National Champion is about racing in a Regional series and then going to a National Championship to race against other regional series competitors.
Not a one race wonder who thinks he is the National Champion by racing in one event.

BADVENM
10-23-2017, 08:10 PM
Hmmm, "5 points paying races" is something I havent thought about before. I thought its 5 points races, doesnt matter if they are inverted, standing start, flying start, etc.
Guess it would be worth it to get an exact definition of "paying", is that simply a race that pays in the way of points or is it only races that are a Toyo paying race. I'm gonna say its simply points races.

We've never been asked to prove we've met any of the criteria, including as a team in the 5 championship events we've competed in.

Fbody383
10-23-2017, 10:17 PM
Guess it would be worth it to get an exact definition of "paying", is that simply a race that pays in the way of points or is it only races that are a Toyo paying race. I'm gonna say its simply points races. I believe it's points races. And don't think they have to all be in one class. Somebody smart answer this man's questions.

Suck fumes
10-23-2017, 10:35 PM
I'm just glad the east/west coast thing is over and we are back to a real one championship race.

Suck fumes
10-23-2017, 10:36 PM
So it's either a non-Toyo invert, or an additional weekend.
Pretty sure National Champion is about racing in a Regional series and then going to a National Championship to race against other regional series competitors.
Not a one race wonder who thinks he is the National Champion by racing in one event.

NASA has had the same nationals qualifications for a long time and for you to say that people that can't/don't run the whole season are not real national champions is a pretty big insult to a lot of people who have won the big show in the past. A national championship race is up against the best in the country and while I do agree winning the year long points battle is prestigious it is still not the same as racing up against the best from all over the U.S. in one event. When you actually compete in nationals you will understand. In the past all points races were counted as a "race" toward nationals unless something changed recently? I will confirm with Will.

Supercharged111
10-23-2017, 10:53 PM
Hmmm, "5 points paying races" is something I havent thought about before. I thought its 5 points races, doesnt matter if they are inverted, standing start, flying start, etc.
Guess it would be worth it to get an exact definition of "paying", is that simply a race that pays in the way of points or is it only races that are a Toyo paying race. I'm gonna say its simply points races.

We've never been asked to prove we've met any of the criteria, including as a team in the 5 championship events we've competed in.

I would argue that it's any points race. Think about Hawk Bucks: you can get them based on your best finish of the weekend as they don't require you to declare which is/isn't for that contingency.

marshall_mosty
10-25-2017, 10:21 AM
It's any points race in any car/racing class.

Al Fernandez
10-25-2017, 12:50 PM
Personally I'm very excited to have one nationals event and that said event is at COTA. I'm fairly sure that weekend will cost more than the recent Tx region only event, which is a bummer, but hopefully the extra hoopla and additional drivers makes up for it. As to the Tx schedule...yeah, bummed about the relatively few number of events.

Supercharged111
10-25-2017, 01:18 PM
Were there rumblings of an ECR resurface? Or am I imagining things?

michaelmosty
10-25-2017, 03:20 PM
Were there rumblings of an ECR resurface? Or am I imagining things?

I hope, I love that place!!
Last I heard they have sold off percentages of the business and they are owned by multiple people, making decisions hard to agree on.
I do hope we are able to go back there soon. Last time we raced there it was pretty bumpy but not terrible.

Fbody383
10-25-2017, 03:21 PM
Were there rumblings of an ECR resurface? Or am I imagining things? You heard right. Apparently they recently cancelled an event to do some grinding for part of the short term solution.

We have a contractor here in house at work that's pretty familiar with the facility - I'll get an update if I can.

RichardP
10-25-2017, 03:47 PM
The biggest thing I noticed about the schedule is that there are no TBDs. Does anyone know if there is an intent or desire by management to add an event or two if the opportunity arises?

Richard P.

BryanL
10-25-2017, 04:07 PM
I'm fairly sure that weekend will cost more than the recent Tx region only event, which is a bummer

Well that would be disappointing for it to be more whether for the regional or the national. Would much rather run Hallett or Cresson twice. But I do like having a single Nat. Championship and cool that it isn't a 24 hour tow. At least for CMC there is the opportunity to actually have a class. Wish it was middle of October but guess that might be F1 time.

What about all of us showing up with SCCA to run in A Sedan at Hallett or Cresson? The event I looked at Cresson this year I think was about the same entry fee and track time however it was only 3 races. No clue what tire or rules they have as it's like the A sedan rule book is hidden from the intraweb. Or we could have an outlaw class on the 200 treadwear Falkens that Spec Corvette is running.

BryanL
10-25-2017, 04:08 PM
Note worth pointing out is that the SCCA runoffs at Indy had over 1,000 entries this year.

MikeP99Z
10-25-2017, 04:31 PM
MSRC does not have another weekend available for us. We've tried multiple times in recent years to make that happen.

drecords
10-25-2017, 10:01 PM
Well that would be disappointing for it to be more whether for the regional or the national. Would much rather run Hallett or Cresson twice. But I do like having a single Nat. Championship and cool that it isn't a 24 hour tow. At least for CMC there is the opportunity to actually have a class. Wish it was middle of October but guess that might be F1 time.

What about all of us showing up with SCCA to run in A Sedan at Hallett or Cresson? The event I looked at Cresson this year I think was about the same entry fee and track time however it was only 3 races. No clue what tire or rules they have as it's like the A sedan rule book is hidden from the intraweb. Or we could have an outlaw class on the 200 treadwear Falkens that Spec Corvette is running.

I'm actually buying a set of the RT615K's for track days -- will report back on how they do.

Supercharged111
10-26-2017, 08:51 AM
I'm actually buying a set of the RT615K's for track days -- will report back on how they do.

I ran them years and years ago and found them to be greasy. Granted my pressures were too high without me knowing, but I replaced them with some Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 which were all the rage at the time and those tires were MUCH more consistent. I'll admit I'd figured out tire pressures by then, but the difference was simply mind blowing. Knowing what I know now, there was more than tire pressures playing into that. Having said all that, the K is supposed to have much better manners and its size offerings have had me willing to give them another shot. Daniel have you ever run a street tire on a road course before? I'm curious to hear your impressions if you have some frame of reference still for the difference between our R comps and a sticky street tire.

ShadowBolt
10-26-2017, 10:02 AM
The whole nationals being at COTA is really cool but having two race weekends there is very costly. Some said well at least we don't have as many race weekends in 2018 so we have more money to afford COTA. I'm all about having fun. I would rather have two weekends than one no matter what tracks we are talking about.

JJ

Supercharged111
10-26-2017, 10:11 AM
The whole nationals being at COTA is really cool but having two race weekends there is very costly. Some said well at least we don't have as many race weekends in 2018 so we have more money to afford COTA. I'm all about having fun. I would rather have two weekends than one no matter what tracks we are talking about.

JJ

While you (all, not just Jerry) have a great point bear this in mind when deciding what to run next year: a lot of you guys crossed COTA off of your bucket list earlier this year, but a lot of other people who haven't will be making the trek south next year.

RichardP
10-26-2017, 10:19 AM
a lot of you guys crossed COTA off of your bucket list earlier this year, but a lot of other people who haven't will be making the trek south next year.

It will be interesting to see how many sign up for either COTA event. I'm guessing there will be several that sign up for the regional as practice for the national event.

I ran COTA a few years back. It was great and I'm glad I ponied up the absurd money to do it. I've had several opportunities to drive it since then. Every time, I confirm it's still crossed off on my bucket list and pass. No need to blow the budget again...

Richard P.

Suck fumes
10-26-2017, 01:58 PM
i would bet there will be a waiting list for entrants at nats next yr. I'm sure there will be a record number for a lot of classes in nasa. The cost should be less with the number of people I would hope?!

drecords
10-27-2017, 09:38 AM
I ran them years and years ago and found them to be greasy. Granted my pressures were too high without me knowing, but I replaced them with some Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 which were all the rage at the time and those tires were MUCH more consistent. I'll admit I'd figured out tire pressures by then, but the difference was simply mind blowing. Knowing what I know now, there was more than tire pressures playing into that. Having said all that, the K is supposed to have much better manners and its size offerings have had me willing to give them another shot. Daniel have you ever run a street tire on a road course before? I'm curious to hear your impressions if you have some frame of reference still for the difference between our R comps and a sticky street tire.

We ran the 200TW Dunlop Direzzas on our WRL BMW E30 car and I always liked them. They were noisy at the limit and broke away smoothly and were easy to control past the limit. We always fought chunking on the outside edges of the front tires as we'd run full tread but otherwise no complaints. I don't remember them being susceptible to getting greasy but we also kept a laptime pace that didn't abuse the car to try and finish.

On my E36 M3 I ran the sticky Hankook tire of the time and they were fantastic all the way to the cords. Lots of grip on a square setup and never had issues in 20min DE sessions with greasing.

I have found the RR's to be more similar to a street tire than a race tire except for the short life in terms of heat cycles. The RR's seem to like quite a bit of slip angle and are pretty controlable in a slide. Since my street tire experience is on a different chassis with an independent rear suspension I'll see how the RT615K's compare in a few weeks with the RR's. My experience on "real" race tires was in a Formula SAE car on 10" Hoosier LC0's which behaved like a race tire. They liked some slip angle for maximum grip but go a bit past that optimum and it felt like grip went to 0... really fun and rewarding to get right. I used to have a funny video in that car where I was booking around an AX course and then went full 360. It was a good illustration of running out of talent and consequently tire grip.

BADVENM
10-28-2017, 01:57 PM
Anyone know if we're going back to one location for Nationals starting in 2018 or is this a one year thing and we go back to west and east coast championships again in 2019?