PDA

View Full Version : brake pad recommendations

cpaterson
03-31-2006, 02:18 AM
A quick intro and then a question...

We are currently building a HPDE/club racing Mustang (and hopefully an AI car once we have more time and a few more upgrades under our belt)... see this link for more detail: http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28188 and are looking for recommendations on brake pads. We are using 1986 SVO calipers up front and 1988 Turbo Coupe (T-bird) disks and calipers in the rear. I've talked with Carbotech and they make a XP12 front/XP8 rear combo ($153 per set!!) but I still want to see if there any other decent options out there. Adam has already checked on Cobalts and they are not available for our combo. Any input on Hawks, Porterfields etc. would be appreciated.

Chris

mitchntx
03-31-2006, 07:42 AM
I've run PF and Hawk pads on a HEAVY street car.

Carbotech is by far the easiest on rotors and holds up great under extreme conditions.

I'm currently running 10/8s on my 4th gen F-car.

gt40
03-31-2006, 10:08 AM
It's been said on CC, but I'll repeat it here...

The 10.8" Fox brakes will have a short, violent life on an open-track car (and even shorter on an AI car!)

I ran that exact combo for a few years on my '88 Mustang, and as I began to use the brakes more and more, I got to the point where I was going through a pair of front rotors every weekend, cometimes more, if I wasn't careful about my cool-down lap.

You'll learn how to pack bearings and swap rotors very quickly, with that setup! :wink:

cpaterson
04-09-2006, 09:30 PM
I'm looking at this because you guys don't let me sleep good at night thinking about the crappy Fox brakes I have on the car :wink:

Need your input on a pending deal I found...

Car being parted out is a 1997 Mustang Cobra. For $600 I can get:

all front and rear brake components including front lower a-arms, spindles, hubs and M/C and booster
the entire rear 8.8 axle assembly with all bits and pieces still attached

Car has ~70K miles and took a hit in the front. All suspension bits look to be untouched from the impact.

Thoughts?

Chris

chicane23
04-09-2006, 09:36 PM
BUY IT!

That system will work great for a very long time.

I have ran Performance Friction 01 pads for years and have had great luck with them. I highly recommend them.

Hawk HT10's are also a great pad.

You will not go wrong with the parts you listed above.

Have fun and good luck!

gt40
04-09-2006, 09:52 PM
all front and rear brake components including front lower a-arms, spindles, hubs and M/C and booster
the entire rear 8.8 axle assembly with all bits and pieces still attached

Car has ~70K miles and took a hit in the front. All suspension bits look to be untouched from the impact.

Thoughts?That's a terrible setup. Don't use it!

Can I have their phone number? :wink:

Seriously -- John is right -- get it!

macstang
04-09-2006, 09:53 PM
If you dont buy it, give me his number. Usually the axle with brakes will sell for more than that.

I am in Hattiesburg if you ever wanna convoy to a track.