PDA

View Full Version : SN95 Wheel Tire Help Please!

centerville
03-05-2018, 08:34 PM
What wheel tire combo's are you running to not have rubbing issues. Track width too.

I put some 275x40x17's with 15mm offset on the car and the tires stick out quite a bit further than my other car. I can not see how this is not going to rub tomorrow when I set the car on the ground.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Sook
03-05-2018, 08:45 PM
+18mm offset Enkeis fit my fox without rubbing. It's got the fenders rolled and spaced a bit, Tyler's work. A lot of other fox guys run fender flares instead of spacing the fenders out.

- Josh

centerville
03-05-2018, 10:48 PM
Thanks Josh. My fenders are rolled and inner linings have been relief ed for rub. But car only had 255's on it before now. SN95 has a little bit more room than a fox that's why I was wondering what other have done.

Still trying to make the test n tune Friday but not looking good now.

Sook
03-05-2018, 11:54 PM
Still trying to make the test n tune Friday but not looking good now.

What all do you have left?

Spacers to clear the fender well, and more camber to clear the outside of the fender ;)

What ever the track width rule is, you can bet that the fast guys are pushing the limit and wishing they had more. SN95 is allowed a little more width than a fox.

- Josh

michaelmosty
03-06-2018, 12:51 PM
What wheel tire combo's are you running to not have rubbing issues. Track width too.

I put some 275x40x17's with 15mm offset on the car and the tires stick out quite a bit further than my other car. I can not see how this is not going to rub tomorrow when I set the car on the ground.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Mike,
What year Mustang do you have? Is it rubbing on the front or rear?

Between everyone here we run all year ranges so we should be able to get some specifics to you. Also if you can get pics of how bad it is sticking out, that will help.

centerville
03-06-2018, 02:58 PM
It's a '94. When I get home here in a little bit I am going to set the car on the ground and see what happens. I can take a pic when I get home.
Both front and rear stick out about 1-1.5" from the fender or quarter. Also I have a 1" spacer on the rear. I took some measurements last night and back only seemed to be .5" wider than the front with no spacer up front. Once I set it on the ground I will take better measurements.

centerville
03-06-2018, 06:19 PM
It's going to rub if I get an compression out of the suspension. Some more camber and a little fender flaring and it might work. Only thing I can think with the rear is to change the offset to 30mm instead of the 15 currently. Back track width is about .5" wider than the front with the 1" spacers. Here is a couple of pics.176217631764

mach1
03-06-2018, 06:24 PM
What is the front and rear track width with the set up pictured ?

Sook
03-06-2018, 06:45 PM
Measure with toe-plates if you have them.

- Josh

centerville
03-06-2018, 09:00 PM
No toe plates so this is best estimate with tape measure. 72" front, 72.5" rear. With toe plates I can see this number changing by 1-1.5" depending on where you measure. To have clearance as the car sits offset is the answer. I put some 24mm offset steeda's on there and I don't think it will rub, but if it does its not by much. Track width should have narrowed by roughly 18mm. I only put one side on to check clearance so I didn't take a measurement. Here are a few pics. 176517661767

37Stang
03-06-2018, 10:00 PM
No toe plates so this is best estimate with tape measure. 72" front, 72.5" rear. With toe plates I can see this number changing by 1-1.5" depending on where you measure. To have clearance as the car sits offset is the answer. I put some 24mm offset steeda's on there and I don't think it will rub, but if it does its not by much. Track width should have narrowed by roughly 18mm. I only put one side on to check clearance so I didn't take a measurement. Here are a few pics. 176517661767

Mike, what wheels are you using? the black wheels appear to be MB Battles...

With the 9.5 width 15mm offset MB Battles my rear track width is 72.625 with 5/8" spacers. My front track width is 72.56 with no spacers... The outside edge of the tires appear flush with the body on my '94 GT...

centerville
03-06-2018, 10:32 PM
The black wheels are MB Battles in 17x9.5,15mm offset. Other than the spacer size difference on the rear your numbers are about the same as I am seeing. Interesting that mine seem to stick out beyond the body so much.

37Stang
03-06-2018, 11:17 PM
That does seem odd that yours stick out so much... a fellow CMC racer here in the mid-Atlantic also runs the MB Battles with the same specs. His do seem to protrude from the body of his car slightly more than mine but I would guess no more than a 1/4" or so... We have checked our. track width with toe plates and are the same... When I built my car I did roll the fender lip on the rear and maybe doing so stretched the panel slightly.

Sook
03-07-2018, 01:18 AM
Pull the spacers from the rear and you're probably good there.

The front doesn't look terrible with the +15mm offset wheels. You could add some camber just in case (don't forget to set toe afterward). The front wheels don't move straight up and down so hopefully it tucks inside the fender nicely as the wheel goes up. It is possible that the car would get wider as the wheel moves up for a period of travel - depending on your ride height. I haven't studied old mustang suspension enough - I know way more about S197 stuff.

If you're really paranoid about bumping a fender you could pull the spring out of the front suspension and run it through it's range of motion.

The car looks shiny!

- Josh

centerville
03-07-2018, 09:37 AM
I didn't think about removing the spring. So I can run it Friday I am just going to have the tires moved to an extra set of the Steeda's I have.

I have a feeling that tire rub is not the only thing I am going to find that needs attention after Friday.

Car is too shiny and orange.

Thanks again.

mach1
03-07-2018, 11:42 AM
I didn't think about removing the spring. So I can run it Friday I am just going to have the tires moved to an extra set of the Steeda's I have.

I have a feeling that tire rub is not the only thing I am going to find that needs attention after Friday.

Car is too shiny and orange.

Thanks again.

These MB Weapons I am bringing for you are +27 so that should help with clearance.

centerville
03-07-2018, 12:08 PM
These MB Weapons I am bringing for you are +27 so that should help with clearance.

Awesome.

centerville
03-07-2018, 09:56 PM
Can someone tell me what size and pitch the lug studs are? I jacked up the threads on one front and one rear. Replacing front hub now but can't seem to find the right thread chaser for them.

Sook
03-07-2018, 11:07 PM
Can someone tell me what size and pitch the lug studs are? I jacked up the threads on one front and one rear. Replacing front hub now but can't seem to find the right thread chaser for them.

Mine are 1/2-20

centerville
03-07-2018, 11:42 PM
Nevermind. Summit in the morning and i will be ready to go. Mine is seems finer than 1/2x20. I will have spares now. Looking forward to meeting everyone. Mike

Fbody383
03-09-2018, 03:37 PM
Car is too shiny and orange. No such thing... well, except maybe the shiny part.

37Stang
03-13-2018, 11:12 PM
I ordered a set a ESR SR07's 9.5 wide with 20mm offset. They were just delivered this afternoon... I weighed them on a digital bathroom scale and they are 21.4lbs. I don't have the tires mounted up yet but, by my calculations, an .875 spacer on the rear and a .500 spacer on the front should put you just shy of 1/16 of the max CMC track width for a 94-98 SN95. I run Wilwood 4 piston Superlites on the front and they clear the calipers by ~.250 with no spacer... so there should not be any caliper clearance issues. I ordered them directly from ESR and they were $649 delivered to my door... slightly more than the MB Battles but they seem to be a good replacement since the Battles are no longer available.