PDA

View Full Version : Mushy pedal at COTA?

Pranav
03-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Fill out this quick survey for me:

Did you get a mushy brake pedal at COTA?
What front brake package do you run?
What brake fluid were you running?
Are you running brake ducts?

Me last year:
Yes
Wilwoods with C4 rotors
Motul 600 and then trackside flush to castrol SRF in desperation
Yes, but they sucked

This year I am running stoptechs with Ti pad shields, motul 660, and hopefully improved brake ducts.

Supercharged111
03-16-2018, 03:25 PM
I'd stick to SRF, that stuff is rock solid. I run a whole season on it and it's still clean by the end. Saves money in the long run. Be more specific on your duct setup. I run mine through the foglights and they kinda suck. Will redo with NACA ducts in the front bumper at some point for a straighter shorter shot.

Pranav
03-16-2018, 03:47 PM
I have just three inch round hole inlets up where the headlights used to be.

My basis on "sucks" is the ducts catch a lot less tire boogers than when they used to be hooked right into the lower radiator air dam.

I'm going to go with NACA ducts where the front fog lights slits are for a more straight shot too.

I'm curious on what others ran into at COTA last year as I believe I talked to at least one stoptech equipped guy that complained of a soft pedal.

ShadowBolt
03-16-2018, 08:36 PM
Stoptech's with ducts (with several cuts in hoses) ATE Super Blue. I drain the calipers prior to Hallett ever year. Still on my second can in ten years but almost out. Never had a soft pedal. Cobalt pads. Best feel in brake pads......ask Kevin or Tyler if you don't believe me. Great prices and last a long time.

JJ

michaelmosty
03-17-2018, 10:22 AM
I wasn't at COTA last year but run Stoptech's and have never had a soft pedal. I think Jerry and I must be the last people running Super Blue. I usually just flush the caliper after every other event and always before Hallett. Currently running PFC01 pads.
I honestly can't think of ever hearing of anyone getting a soft pedal while running Stoptechs with fresh fluid.

drecords
03-18-2018, 10:39 AM
Only time I've had a soft pedal in my car (cobra calipers up front...too po' for stoptech) was when the rear pads were down to the backing plates. Change my DOT4 fluid every other event also.

centerville
03-18-2018, 06:18 PM
I think Jerry and I must be the last people running Super Blue. I usually just flush the caliper after every other event and always before Hallett. Currently running PFC01 pads.

This is good to know as that is what is in my car now. Considering the car has sat for so long the brakes were surprisingly good. Pads and a flush for now it is.

blk96gt
03-19-2018, 10:43 AM
Mushy Pedal: No
Front brake setup: Stoptechs with PFC01/Hawk Blue F/R (now running Cobalt XP2/XP4 F/R)
Brake fluid: Motul 600 - I flush a bottle through after every weekend
Brake Ducts: Yes

marshall_mosty
03-19-2018, 11:20 AM
From the old AI67 setup

Mushy Pedal: No
Front Brakes: Stoptechs with Raybestos 47's
Brake Fluid: Amsoil Racing
Brake Ducts: Yes (using the GT foglight holes)

Supercharged111
03-21-2018, 11:36 PM
Pranav,

A fatal flaw with your questioning regards the brake ducts IMO. You should have specified what type of spindle ducts were being run as well, i.e. the kind of thing where a hose blows at the rotor, or the more proper setup where a plate seals off the inside of the rotor and the duct pressurizes it and forces more air through. I know in the case of the 4th gen Camaros either is an option and depending on the creativity of the car builder this could span all platforms and have a real impact on brake mushiness, effectiveness, longevity, pad and fluid selection.

Pranav
03-22-2018, 12:04 AM
I have the Bling-fab ones that seal off the insides of the rotor and blow on the insides.

Honestly judging from tire booger build up that would always be trapped between the rotor and duct, having the duct inlets straight shot off the radiator air dam worked the best vs my headlight intakes now with longer hose and more bends. NACA ducts in the fog light hole areas will fix that.