PDA

View Full Version : What to do for lt1 restrictor plates?

NASA13
04-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Are these 4th gens with lt1 typically requiring a restrictor?
If so where can I find such a thing?
Signed
Confused and scared Ford guy

Sook
04-15-2018, 02:14 PM
They do if they're running right. I've seen them but don't know where to buy them. You can probably get a set made at any sheet metal shop.

- Josh

ShadowBolt
04-15-2018, 08:04 PM
They do if they're running right. I've seen them but don't know where to buy them. You can probably get a set made at any sheet metal shop.

- Josh

I made a ton of sets for Boudy years ago. Last time I talked to him he still had some.

JJ

39PitCrew
04-16-2018, 11:15 AM
Are these 4th gens with lt1 typically requiring a restrictor?
If so where can I find such a thing?
Signed
Confused and scared Ford guy

Several of the guys have gone to exhaust restrictors.
On the cars that I wrench on, I hated how much oil got
trapped up around the throttlebody because of the wierd
air flow around the restrictor plate. Sean (#15), Paul (#88)
and David (#39) have all converted over to tail pipe
restrictors. They aren't hard to install or tune.

Tilton
04-16-2018, 03:26 PM
6.21.4 All Cars may install a restrictor between the air filter and intake manifold to reduce horsepower and torque. The diameter and thickness of the restrictor plate orifice(s) shall be noted on the Dyno Sheet and must match at all times. Carbureted cars may install a mechanical throttle stop on the carburetor linkage for the same purpose. Throttle stop dimensions must be noted on the Dyno Sheet for inspection purposes and must match at all times.

6.24.3 Any suitable exhaust system may be used after the manifolds (or headers on cars that are allowed headers). The exhaust must exit behind the driver and be directed away from the car. Mufflers may be required to meet sound regulations depending on track location.

Was/is there a reason that an exhaust restrictor is not specifically mentioned in the rules?

Fbody383
04-16-2018, 04:10 PM
6.24.3 Any suitable exhaust system may be used after the manifolds (or headers on cars that are
allowed headers). The exhaust must exit behind the driver and be directed away from the car.
Mufflers may be required to meet sound regulations depending on track location.

It's in there...

As I understand the intent of HP/TQ rule, one would declare (as I do) that there is an exhaust restrictor. Certainly I can change that but gain the risk of being non compliant, and non compliant on purpose gets too close to trying to circumvent the rule, or cheat, if you will.

Supercharged111
04-16-2018, 05:12 PM
I think I'll add that to my RCR list this year. Make it more clear that exhaust restrictors are allowed as they seem to fall within the intent of the series. How easy are they to police? We'd need to update the dyno sheet too so it has a more definitive home.

AllZWay
04-17-2018, 08:05 AM
I think I still have a set I got from Jerry or Mitch. Not sure what sizes are there though.

ShadowBolt
04-17-2018, 10:00 AM
I think I still have a set I got from Jerry or Mitch. Not sure what sizes are there though.

I made them for you.

JJ

AllZWay
04-17-2018, 11:00 AM
I made them for you.

JJ

I know I got one set from you and I got another set from Mitch after he quit racing. I am not sure which set went with the car when I sold it.

Supercharged111
04-17-2018, 11:34 AM
FWIW I got mine from Boudy, but make sure you get the bigger ones as he still had some CMC1 plates kicking around.

liquidroam
04-18-2018, 09:40 PM
FWIW I got mine from Boudy, but make sure you get the bigger ones as he still had some CMC1 plates kicking around.

Same here. I have a heap of them that I got From him. You're welcome to a few of mine if you're dynoing up in DFW or if you know about the size I can send you a few. Turned out the one I need it wasn't in the pack as it was skipped and so I have one of David Francis' old ones in mind right now. Can't recall the size off the top of my head.