PDA

View Full Version : WTB: good heads for a 302

ledfoot2
12-11-2006, 08:18 PM
I have an engine and transmission. I am now looking for a set of heads and cam. I figure I will need a pretty big cam, so heads with springs good for over 600 lift will probably be the ticket.

Any sugesstions? I am running a carb and as light weight as possible. I am in the ripping-out stage right now.

Right now the motor looks like it will stay a 302....at least for now.

Watch out you high-dollar guys. Team Rustang is taking shape.

AI#97
12-11-2006, 08:38 PM
before you get crazy on the cam and go "too big"....consult with an engine builder once you find the heads and intake....you don't want a "peaky" 302....or maybe you do?! :wink:

I would also get the car on the scales as soon as you can to figure out how much HP you are going to NEED!!! You aren't going to get that SN95 as light as you think without some SERIOUS dieting!

Bring the rust!!! It's all good! 8)

macstang
12-12-2006, 08:07 PM
If you want irons, I have a set of GT40p for 300 bucks. Already have the upgraded valvesprings so you can run a cam.

ledfoot2
12-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks Jerry. I am looking for aluminum ones.

Actually, I am leaning towards running the car in CMC until I can get a new motor and some more suspension pieces.

GlennCMC70
12-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks Jerry. I am looking for aluminum ones.

Actually, I am leaning towards running the car in CMC until I can get a new motor and some more suspension pieces.

smart man. the seat time in CMC will help you when you make the move to AI.

ledfoot2
12-13-2006, 08:57 AM
I am trying to get a hold of moving from a 400rwhp Vette to a low 200rwhp Mustang. I don't even know if my Vette had a rear view miror in it. I guess I better get a good one for the Mustang.

CMC17
12-13-2006, 09:38 AM
I am trying to get a hold of moving from a 400rwhp Vette to a low 200rwhp Mustang. I don't even know if my Vette had a rear view miror in it. I guess I better get a good one for the Mustang.

Momentum racing will point out all driving flaws instantly. Having hp is nice, but I can almost say for sure that you will be a much better driver after being behind the wheel of a CMC car. HP just covers up so much that the driver doesn't realize how much they are in need of attention in certain areas.

Not a slam, but you will be surprised how big the hill is when trying to momentum drive/race. Learning curve is steep, but the rewards are priceless.

Welcome to CMC!! :D

CMC17
12-13-2006, 09:40 AM
Oh, and forgot to mention that the fastest CMC cars are not that much slower than the fastest AI cars. We don't use the brakes to slow down, only turning. ;)

ledfoot2
12-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Cool. I am looking forward to it. Any suggestions on a SN95? I have a carburated 302 that is stock. I am going to dyno it to see what it puts out, and work from there.

AI#97
12-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Oh, and forgot to mention that the fastest CMC cars are not that much slower than the fastest AI cars. We don't use the brakes to slow down, only turning. ;)

4-5 seconds a lap is an eternity...course if we were going THAT slow, we wouldn't need to use the brakes at all! :wink:

Limiting factor for BOTH groups is the tires anyway..... :?

CMC17
12-13-2006, 10:43 AM

4-5 seconds a lap is an eternity...course if we were going THAT slow, we wouldn't need to use the brakes at all! :wink:

My mistake.. I thought having hundreds of more hp would lead to much faster lap times. My bad. :roll:

Uh, not quite. CMC is driver limited more than tires.

Real men don't use ABS. 8) :lol:

CMC17
12-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Cool. I am looking forward to it. Any suggestions on a SN95? I have a carburated 302 that is stock. I am going to dyno it to see what it puts out, and work from there.

I wouldn't worry about the motor as much as I would the suspension and seat time. Get a basic motor that is reliable (relative term) and within the power limit ballpark. Getting the suspension tuned is much more important along with seat time behind the wheel of a CMC ride.

:D

ledfoot2
12-13-2006, 10:51 AM
My car has an aftermarket hood to clear the carb. As I read the rules, that won't fly right? I am not sure the carb will fit under a stock hood.

CMC17
12-13-2006, 10:52 AM
My car has an aftermarket hood to clear the carb. As I read the rules, that won't fly right? I am not sure the carb will fit under a stock hood.

OEM only. At least the OEM is fiberglass on the SN95's.

jeffburch
12-13-2006, 11:05 AM

I wouldn't worry about the motor as much as I would the suspension and seat time. Get a basic motor that is reliable (relative term) and within the power limit ballpark. Getting the suspension tuned is much more important along with seat time behind the wheel of a CMC ride.

:D
I concur.
Especially so, since you HAD to get a mustang.
Those thangs are 2 handfulls, to say the least (comparatively speaking).
Also, you might mount the mirror to the right a little.
Away from flailing arms swatting flys at the steering wheel.
There's a video around here illustrating this.
Goodluck. Welcome aboard.
jb

AI#97
12-13-2006, 03:31 PM
My mistake.. I thought having hundreds of more hp would lead to much faster lap times. My bad. :roll:

[Real men don't use ABS. 8) :lol:

100's of horsepower?! I need to go root around under the hood and find those suckers! 85 maybe if you guys are sitting on 230 rhwp!

As for the ABS...I agree...but if you aren't using brakes, what would it matter if you had ABS or not?!! :wink:

Hell, taking your theory in hand, can't wait to see what I can do once I learn how to drive or actually sort the car out!!! :lol:

ledfoot2
12-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks guys. I am excited about it. It will be nice not having to worry too much when I have about $3000 in the car all together. That was less than the wheels on the Vette. Everyone be gentle on me.

I am also looking for an open trailer. I sold my 30 footer. If anyone knows of one cheap (under $1000) let me know.

My buddy here in Corpus says I should start "Fallen Angel Racing"
Here was the picture: 38ft Diesel Pusher, 30 Ft Enclosed with A/C, 400 RWHP Vette
Now: 1996 POS F350, currently no trailer, 1994 Mustang
:shock:

AI#97
12-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks guys. I am excited about it. It will be nice not having to worry too much when I have about $3000 in the car all together. That was less than the wheels on the Vette. Everyone be gentle on me.

I am also looking for an open trailer. I sold my 30 footer. If anyone knows of one cheap (under $1000) let me know.

My buddy here in Corpus says I should start "Fallen Angel Racing"
Here was the picture: 38ft Diesel Pusher, 30 Ft Enclosed with A/C, 400 RWHP Vette
Now: 1996 POS F350, currently no trailer, 1994 Mustang
:shock:

Find a tow dolly or just steal one from UHaul, they don't chain them down at night!....Icing on the cake!!! :wink:

jeffburch
12-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Saw tow dolly on Craig'slist/Dallas today.
Was pricing used golfcarts.
jb

Mike Bell
01-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Saw you are over on FRRAX shopping for an F-body? You sell the 94 roller?

One month left till showtime!, tick-tock.

ledfoot2
01-03-2007, 11:37 AM
No, I still have it. I am having trouble getting excited about driving such a slower car. I think I am just going to throw it together and see where it lands, probably in CMC right now. If you know of anyone interested, I could be willing to sell it. It is a 94 GT rolling chassis, stock, with a 6 point roll bar. I have a carbed 302 with a T-5 ready to go in it.

Mike Bell
01-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Just put that motor and tranny in it and race, you can do CMC and have a ton of fun in the pack! 8)

Rob Liebbe
01-03-2007, 01:32 PM
[
Find a tow dolly or just steal one from UHaul, they don't chain them down at night!....Icing on the cake!!! :wink:

Tow dollys and budget racing - oh yeah!!

Todd Covini
01-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Ummm...Rob...your Texas flag blew off the racecar. :shock:

GlennCMC70
01-03-2007, 10:31 PM
No, I still have it. I am having trouble getting excited about driving such a slower car. I think I am just going to throw it together and see where it lands, probably in CMC right now. If you know of anyone interested, I could be willing to sell it. It is a 94 GT rolling chassis, stock, with a 6 point roll bar. I have a carbed 302 with a T-5 ready to go in it.

Mitch and myself have a Camaro and Firebird just sitting here waiting on a good home. we have all the parts on hand needed to get the cage done in a matter of a few days. it can be dilivered in any state, from a roller w/ cage to a turn key built to the limits of the class '07 Championship car. just give us the signal, and its done.

ledfoot2
01-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Hey guys. What about one for AI? Or at least CMC-2 that I can convert to AI.

CMC17
01-04-2007, 10:24 AM
I would suggest riding with someone in CMC that has a spare seat. Speed is relative. Run AI or AIX and have no one next to you might seem a lot slower than running in CMC with 8-10 cars within feet of each other.

Speed doesn't always = fun

You don't want an AI car to run slower than the faster CMC guys. 8)

GlennCMC70
01-04-2007, 10:31 AM
an LT1 4th gen could run CMC and CMC-2 w/ just a restrictor plate change.
CMC = 230/300 @ 3200lbs 12" brakes, 16" wheels
CMC-2= 260/310 @ 3200lbs 13" brakes (C5 stuff), 17" wheels.

AI would be easy on a stock LT1 w/ almost no mods as long as the car was light. maybee a hot cam kit and long tube headers. and the aero is good.
i plan on running CMC-2 once or twice this year. may or may not swap restrictor plates to do it.

AI#97
01-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Hey guys. What about one for AI? Or at least CMC-2 that I can convert to AI.

I will still make you a hell of a deal on an AI car right now...and you won't have to worry about pesky CMC cars in your way! :wink:

Todd Covini
01-04-2007, 11:47 AM
This thread had been totally hi-jacked...but here goes anyway.

Don't count AI out so quickly.
Another California racer buddy has moved back to Texas.

Nick Littleton will be driving an LS-1 powered 3rd Gen Camaro.
Nick & I raced in NorCal CMC years ago...he jumped over to A-Sedan to do the Runoffs....and is now coming back to AI.

Nick will be a force to be reckoned with here in Texas.

-=- T

GlennCMC70
01-04-2007, 01:46 PM
where will he be living?
have him get w/ LAW Motorsports and we will have the LS1 running well and winning races in no time flat.

ledfoot2
01-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Thanks everyone. I am building the 94 for CMC. I am going to continue to look for a good, inexpensive AI car as well. I think I will run a LS-1 F-body, just because I am very familiar with them.

Todd Covini
01-04-2007, 06:16 PM
where will he be living?
have him get w/ LAW Motorsports and we will have the LS1 running well and winning races in no time flat.

He lives in Austin, I believe.
Nick Steel, David Morin, Alan Blaine and all those F-body gurus over there on the WC know him.

I'm sure LAWnMOTOR sports will hook up with him in no time...you GM guys have to stick together as you have no other friends. :twisted: :D

-=- Todd

GlennCMC70
01-04-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm sure LAWnMOTOR sports will hook up with him in no time...[/quote]

your Ford ass is grass and i'm gonna mow it! :roll:

Todd Covini
01-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Don't ya' just love a good Ford vs. Chevy rivalry!?!?!

Kinda like the Hatchets and McCoys out in Mitch's neighborhood! :lol:

-=- T