PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying

MikeP99Z
03-07-2006, 06:06 PM
This will likely get expanded as more people join this website, but briefly for now:

Qualifying at certain tracks may be conducted with slight differences - most important is to pay attention to the flags. Some events may have standing double yellows for the full first lap (whereas this is the case with most DE sessions at NASA - the corner workers sometimes repeat procedures for the race groups).

Generally - the first lap of a qualifying session may not have any flags displayed after you pit out - which basically means that the track is green. Don't go weaving around the entire width of the track trying to warm up tires because you may get smacked - no yellows=open passing. Other times on pit-out only the first few corner stations may display a single yellow flag - and then the track is green. The start/finish flagger will likely wave the green for everyones first lap regardless.

If you are one of the last cars out of grid - be aware that cars on a hot lap may be smoking by you - get off line.

Read the flags (or lack thereof) - and know/understand the situation.

mitchntx
03-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Recently, I saw a video clip of that very thing happening.

Lead car off of grid entered a hot track thinking it was a 1 lap standing caution.

A guy 4 or 5 cars back knew otherwise and began passing. The lead guy scrubbed his tires right in front of the guy who knew what was going on and they had major contact, ruining BOTH their chances.

Was that at the runoffs?

AllZWay
03-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Recently, I saw a video clip of that very thing happening.

Lead car off of grid entered a hot track thinking it was a 1 lap standing caution.

A guy 4 or 5 cars back knew otherwise and began passing. The lead guy scrubbed his tires right in front of the guy who knew what was going on and they had major contact, ruining BOTH their chances.

Was that at the runoffs?

I saw that video and I think it was from the runnoff.

SmackDaddy
03-15-2006, 04:13 PM
I agree. Don't assume because it's done one way on Saturday that it's going to be the same on Sunday. The last event at MSR-C it was different.
Gotz to pay attention to the corner stations. I will scrub tires (since I'm usually up front) and warm the brakes until I see no flag presented.

MikeP99Z
03-21-2006, 05:52 PM
Who is SmackDaddy?

mitchntx
03-21-2006, 05:53 PM
He also goes by SchuVarner

MikeP99Z
03-21-2006, 05:55 PM
and CMC17?

too many aliases for such a small group website.

CMC17
03-21-2006, 06:36 PM
..... just CMC17

AI#97
03-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Sounds like an opportunity to standarize....or atleast cover in the morning drivers meeting....

I know, the FNG needs to just STFU..... :oops:

mitchntx
03-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Hey Matt ... glad to see you around ...

GlennCMC70
03-26-2006, 11:02 PM
yep, glad to see ya still around. i was talking about you today. i'll tell ya what it was about after you finish race 1 April 22. :wink:

CMC17
03-27-2006, 09:50 AM
Sounds like an opportunity to standarize....or atleast cover in the morning drivers meeting....

I know, the FNG needs to just STFU..... :oops:

Heya Matt!!!! Woot!! Glad you made it in here!!!

Now.. lets go raaaaccccciiiinnngggg!!!

AI#97
03-27-2006, 12:02 PM
yep, glad to see ya still around. i was talking about you today. i'll tell ya what it was about after you finish race 1 April 22. :wink:

I left?! Must have been my bitchy alter ego...?

We will see about April....finished up the body work this weekend and FINALLY got the d#&m brake lines in the mail. Going to try and twist off the car one night this week with fingers crossed that the motor didn't get hurt....Not having a water pump for the half lap back kind of got it hot (230)....fingers are crossed. Car is still for sale though for the first guy with cash in my hand. Probably take a while....

jeffburch
03-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Now.. lets go raaaaccccciiiinnngggg!!!

Boogity Boogity Boogity!!!!!

OMG,......did I really say that?!

jb

Todd Covini
03-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Welcome back to the fray, Matt!
Hope to see you out there suited up and ready go in April!!!

-=- Todd