PDA

View Full Version : AN Fitting Jig

marshall_mosty
12-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Guys,
Here are some helpful tools which ease the frustration of building steel braided rubber hose assemblies. I believe the kits are approx $80 each.

http://koultools.com/

AI#97
12-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Guys,
Here are some helpful tools which ease the frustration of building steel braided rubber hose assemblies. I believe the kits are approx $80 each.

http://koultools.com/

The best trick to prevent this is to tape the hose tightly with electrical tape where you want to cut it....then use a angle grinder with an 1/8" think cutting wheel and cut the hose clean. Remove the tape and then "de-burr" the end of the hose which makes it VERY easy to get the compression fitting over the end...then it's just spin it down with the wrenches.

Made all my oil lines in about 30 minutes at MOST...

y5e06
12-18-2006, 04:39 PM
[quote=marshall_mosty]

The best trick to prevent this is to tape the hose tightly with electrical tape where you want to cut it....then use a angle grinder with an 1/8" think cutting wheel and cut the hose clean.

that works but you'll end up with a bunch of fine particles and debris in your line from the wheel and stainless braid. Not desirable if running FROM your filter to the engine or to the fuel system.
With a steady hand cut cleanly through the stainless braid and then use a nice SHARP cutting snips/pliers/etc to cut the rubber hose component. Don't have to worry about flushing all of that crap before install on the car.

AI#97
12-18-2006, 07:15 PM
[quote=marshall_mosty]

The best trick to prevent this is to tape the hose tightly with electrical tape where you want to cut it....then use a angle grinder with an 1/8" think cutting wheel and cut the hose clean.

that works but you'll end up with a bunch of fine particles and debris in your line from the wheel and stainless braid. Not desirable if running FROM your filter to the engine or to the fuel system.
With a steady hand cut cleanly through the stainless braid and then use a nice SHARP cutting snips/pliers/etc to cut the rubber hose component. Don't have to worry about flushing all of that crap before install on the car.

This isn't brain surgery and yes...a little brake clean works great. :wink:

jeffburch
12-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Other than for brakes, steel braid hose was just a phase I grew out of.
Dunno if the weight out weighs the need.

jb