PDA

View Full Version : Did Ford get the Powerstroke fixed for 07?

mitchntx
12-27-2006, 09:47 AM
As the world turns ...

Without going into a lot of boring, legal detail, I might be "forced" into buying a new vehicle before the end of the year.

I know the Powerstrokes were having some issues ... were those all resolved?

I like the looks of the ford Trucks vs the GM. I just can't bring myself to consider a MOPAR ....

AI#97
12-27-2006, 11:15 AM
I would suggest buying a used truck. the 07's with all the emissions stuff added just this year and in a hurry could be problematic later....

If you are buying the truck to be a TRUCK, and be used heavily for towing and just big time mileage, I would really consider the dodge. If you can get past the smaller back seat and a little lower level of finish on the interior, you can save yourself a TON of money by NOT getting a ford. The dodge is also easier to park with a shorter wheel base and much tigher/carlike steering.

You can pretty much get a 4x4 3/4 SLT dodge with the Cummins for around $32k-33k with a reasonable options list. Fords are a good bit more. Don't knock the dodge too much before you try one....you just might like it! :wink:

Wirtz
12-27-2006, 11:50 AM
I ended up just getting a new diesel truck myself. I agree you can get the Dodge cheaper than the others, and from what I heard the driveline is great. I wanted the larger back seat area for my family so I did not really spend much time looking at Dodge.

I liked the exterior styling, rims and the interior trim of the Ford the most. But in the research I was doing, I just could not get convinced the 6.0L Powerstroke was under control. Still alot of rumors floating aorund and continious driveability issues and overall realibility.

The Chevy's had the best reputation for the driveline. The engine is the most powerful and the mileage is suppose to be very good as well. The Allison transmission is a thing of sweetness. Only thing I'm not crazy about on the Chevy is the headlight styling, but I figure when you are behind the steering wheel, you don't see it too much ;)

All the diesels are getting new engines in '07 for tougher emissions requirements. So I ended up getting a early '07 Chevy that still had the 6.4 Duramax. The new tougher emissions engines are supposed to be on the lots starting around now I think, maybe as late as March from what I remember. Based on the issues Ford had introducing the 6.0 Powerstroke, and Chevy had when it first released the 6.4 Duramax, I didn't really want to get a first, or maybe even a second model year engine. So my point is if you can find an early '07 you can at least get the engine with sevweral yeard of development into it, either the Ford or Chevy. Plus dealers are making deals to offload the "older" versions of the trucks.

I don't know if it would work for you, but another option was I looked for an early '02 or '03 (I forget which one now) Ford that had the 7.3 Powerstroke in it. Those engines were pretty much bullet proof by then. The problem I was having was finding one without a ton of miles on them.

Jeff

CMC17
12-27-2006, 12:07 PM
I don't want to knock the other brands, but the Dodge 1500 5.7 hemi I use to tow the race car and stuff with has been absolutely awesome. Fully loaded I barely notice the extra weight + car. Endless power/torque getting up to speed and cruising is a dream. However, I cannot speak for the diesel versions though.

The previous vehicle - Durango w/5.9L before the truck and even with the smaller wheel base, it pulled with no problems.

I like my MOPAR and will get another one when the time comes.

mitchntx
12-27-2006, 02:28 PM
I appreciate the insight and personal experience.

I've never been in this position where I "have" to spend a wad of cash before year's end.

So when I say "money is no object" in this case, it really is.

Maybe a Porsche Cayenne .... 8)

David Love AI27
12-27-2006, 04:42 PM
My dodge hemi has been great, but then again I'm partial to gas instead of diesel... however I have been looking at the new dodge MEGA-cab w/cummins motor and that would be my next choice... only problem is that they don't have a long bed even on the dually, not that I need or want a long bed I just added that little bit of info for free......

AI#97
12-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Not to shoot Eric and David's input on the hemi but for Mitch with the 28' enclosed trailer....he needs a diesel. I drove a 3/4 4x4 Dodge with the Hemi and a 5 spd and after 3rd gear it couldn't get out of it's own way...no way I would try that with 8-10k pounds of trailer on the rear! ;)

I love mine but I do sort of wish I had gotten an Auto instead of the 6spd...BUT, it WILL last forever! :lol:

mitchntx
12-27-2006, 05:48 PM
I went and window shopped a bit ....

A Laramie Mega-cab looks mighty nice.

A King Ranch Lariat Crew looked even nicer.

I really liked the Nitro, though ... 8)

CMC17
12-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Without a doubt the diesel is the way to go with an enclosed trailer. With an open trailer and limited budget, the Dodge hasn't let me down. :D

I will leave the enclosed trailers + diesels to the upper class. 8)

cmarvel
01-01-2007, 05:57 PM
If you are interested, My 2001 Excursion has 184,XXX on it. We averaged 15.4 MPG all the way back from Hallett on one tank of gas (all the way to Clear Lake). Mixon just picked a high milage example up below 15K. Other than the trans, I have no worries about one with miles. The trans can be fixed permanantly by replacing with one from Sun Coast.

YMMV