PDA

View Full Version : airdams and cowl hoods

Nick L
01-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Hey Guys,

Still digging around on some rule questions.

the hood issue...

Just intsalled the carb'd LS1 with restrictor plate and the air cleaner is hitting the hood...

In the rule of common opinion, is it leagal to use a cowl hood in AI on a 3rd gen camaro? In looking around at some pics, it appears that some other guys are running cowl hoods...

2nd question.. does a spiltter fall into the catagory of an 'airdam'???

Thanks, Nick

GlennCMC70
01-15-2007, 12:43 PM
i'm not up 100% on the AI rules yet, but i do believe any hood is legal in AI along w/ splitters and airdams.

RichardP
01-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Wow, from your last couple of questions, it’s clear you don’t quite have a grasp on the basics of American Iron. Even the phrasing of your questions is in the mode of “what can I do?” AI isn’t a “what can I do” kind of class. CMC is. AI isn’t. The proper question for AI is “What can’t I do?” :D

Relating to your questions on hoods, louvers, cowls, airdams, splitters, etc. there really isn’t a lot you can’t do. Specifically for the front of the car, you can’t chop up the firewall, the front strut/shock towers, or the frame rails. Everything else from the firewall forward can be removed and replaced with whatever you would like, in both form and materials. So the hood, both front fenders, and the nose can be tossed and be replaced with other steel, aluminum, fiberglass, carbon fiber, or anything else in whatever shape you would like. If that shape looks sort of like what you started with but modified, cool. If the front of the car ends up looking like a C6R Corvette, a Trans-Am Jaguar, a German Touring Car Mercedes, or any other aerodynamic high down force/low drag shape you can come up with, that’s cool to. If you need to cut out the core support to lay the radiator down at an angle so it fits under the new shape you have created, go for it. It’s all good. If you happen to come across a nose wing from last year’s Ferrari F1 car, you are welcome to dangle it out in front also.

More specifically, louvers in a cowl hood are well within the limits of the AI rules. If you don't feel like getting a new hood, you are welcome to just cut a hole in your current one for the air filter to poke up through... :-)

Welcome to the area. We'll see you at the track.

Richard P.

AI#97
01-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Wow, from your last couple of questions, it’s clear you don’t quite have a grasp on the basics of American Iron. Even the phrasing of your questions is in the mode of “what can I do?” AI isn’t a “what can I do” kind of class. CMC is. AI isn’t. The proper question for AI is “What can’t I do?” :D

Relating to your questions on hoods, louvers, cowls, airdams, splitters, etc. there really isn’t a lot you can’t do. Specifically for the front of the car, you can’t chop up the firewall, the front strut/shock towers, or the frame rails. Everything else from the firewall forward can be removed and replaced with whatever you would like, in both form and materials. So the hood, both front fenders, and the nose can be tossed and be replaced with other steel, aluminum, fiberglass, carbon fiber, or anything else in whatever shape you would like. If that shape looks sort of like what you started with but modified, cool. If the front of the car ends up looking like a C6R Corvette, a Trans-Am Jaguar, a German Touring Car Mercedes, or any other aerodynamic high down force/low drag shape you can come up with, that’s cool to. If you need to cut out the core support to lay the radiator down at an angle so it fits under the new shape you have created, go for it. It’s all good. If you happen to come across a nose wing from last year’s Ferrari F1 car, you are welcome to dangle it out in front also.

More specifically, louvers in a cowl hood are well within the limits of the AI rules. If you don't feel like getting a new hood, you are welcome to just cut a hole in your current one for the air filter to poke up through... :-)

Welcome to the area. We'll see you at the track.

Richard P.

Richard, Granted I haven't read the 07 rules yet but I thought that the bumper cover, fenders and hood had to be "production" or similar and only the hood could be Non-Metal....fenders still had to remain stock sheet metal....? That was the reason Armstrongs car can't come back to AI unless he replaces the doors and fenders with metal ones. Also the reason JG's car still had metal fenders as it was built to the letter of the rules....

As for the rest of the stuff.....thanks for giving away my offseason secret sauce! :wink: By the way, the C6R plan is taking a shit load of aluminum and it's going to be very difficult to "burp" the cooling system when I fill it.... :oops:

RichardP
01-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Granted I haven't read the 07 rules yet

Huh??? No rules changes for '07 that affected any of this...

You might want to try reading the rules some time. It does take a bit of skill. It's more important to see what's not there rather than just what the little black letters spell out... :)

Richard P.

chicane23
01-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Actually Matt, the fenders can be Carbon.

The reason that David's car can not come into AI is the Carbon Doors...and the most important reason...David likes AIX, Mr. No rules. ;-)

The original reason I don't have carbon fender is they didn't make ones that would look right with the 9 1/2 wheel and a 275 tire and I didn't think it would have looked right, but I was wrong.
Tiger Racing did build the carbon fenders for the WC & AIX cars with 11 inch rim with a 315 inch tires, but Paul runs a 275 rain tire and it looked good.

Now that I have seen Paul's car with a 275 and the carbon fender...that may change. ;-)

jeffburch
01-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Matt, don't proof read the rules LOL!!!

jb

Nick L
01-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the update... I am used to SCCA National stuff where its all about the "rule". Got sick of that, back to NASA for some real racing!

I guess I will run one and see what happens, I really dont have a choice at the moment... Hell, the car is still in CA, its going to be tight in getting it back here in time for Houston.

See you at the track... nick

AI#97
01-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Actually Matt, the fenders can be Carbon.

The reason that David's car can not come into AI is the Carbon Doors...and the most important reason...David likes AIX, Mr. No rules. ;-)

;-)

I guess I misread 7.4.4 last year....?

Well, I'll leave all the carbon BS to you rich guys and just continue to kick your butts with good old American IRON!!! LOL! I guess it will soon be American Carbon... :roll:

I guess I do need to go read the rules...maybe then I won't be so slow?! :wink:

AI#97
01-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Also, WHY on earth do the F-bodies get to have a 75" track width and stangs only a 72.5"....which is difficult to get to without 1/2" spacers or wild wheels?

Hell, I need to go find an F-body!!! :?

Todd Covini
01-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Hi Matt,
The carbon fenders (and width stuff) changed a bit last year (prior to the 06 season)...so there was a time when your thinking was correct. :wink:

-=- T

RichardP
01-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Also, WHY on earth do the F-bodies get to have a 75" track width and stangs only a 72.5

That's an interesting question but not an original one...

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=6883&highlight=track+width

Richard P.