PDA

View Full Version : Wheel / tire balancing question

michaelmosty
01-16-2007, 11:17 AM
I wanted to get some opinions regarding tire balancing. Is it really needed seeing as the tread (or lack of tread) changes so quickly over a race weekend.
What would be your thoughts of balancing the wheel w/o tire and leaving the weights on the wheel regardless of the tire on it?

Who balances their wheels/tires every time changed? Who never balances? Who balances only w/ a fresh set?

I guess the question is should I continue to pay an extra $10 / wheel to balance them or is there a way around it.
Thanks,

AllZWay
01-16-2007, 11:19 AM
I get mine done for free (part of a sponsorship) ... so I always balance them.

GlennCMC70
01-16-2007, 11:37 AM
i balance:
a new set.
a set i think has a problem balance wise.
if i flip the tires on the wheels (normally once per the life of the tire).

i've been known to get 6-7 weekends on a set of tires, so i use them up pretty well. i'm currently on my 3rd set of Toyo's (1/2 used) in 2 years of racing (15 nasa weekends counting Nationals). not sure how any of this helps, but i hope it does.

this is a good topic, and i am intrested in what others are doing.

AI#97
01-16-2007, 11:56 AM
i balance:
a new set.
a set i think has a problem balance wise.
if i flip the tires on the wheels (normally once per the life of the tire).

i've been known to get 6-7 weekends on a set of tires, so i use them up pretty well. i'm currently on my 3rd set of Toyo's (1/2 used) in 2 years of racing (15 nasa weekends counting Nationals). not sure how any of this helps, but i hope it does.

this is a good topic, and i am intrested in what others are doing.

I balance every tire that goes on the car and I am considering buying a balancer to put in the trailer for race weekends. As much as I spend on balancing, it more or less pays for itself and I might even be able to make a buck of some of you guys.

Glenn, your statement about tire consumption is interesting. Tells me the Camaros have MUCH better front end geometry because I think many of your fellow CMC'rs running Mustangs aren't ANYWHERE near as frugal with tires.... :lol:

Todd Covini
01-16-2007, 11:56 AM
I balance and tape the weights so they don't go anywhere every time.

-=- T

jeffburch
01-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Depends on a lot of factors for me. Race importance, track speed.
Cresson=no. Houston=maybe. TWS/MO=yes
But generally with shaves I don't because I'm a tight ass.
If I had a sponsor or my own machine I would.
I can usually tell which corner is vibrating (if in excess) and will correct it.
If it doesn't threaten to rattle a filling at the top of 4th then I'm good.
A little vibration adds to the sense of speed.
;)

jb

ps
If a corner is eating tires something is majorly wrong with car/driver.

GlennCMC70
01-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Matt, the tire will get slower, but they are still useable. matter of fact, i practiced on my very first set of Toyo's from '05 while @ Mid Ohio for the '06 Nats. i ended up cording them. my 2nd set is my current back-ups and the 3rd set has been on the car since Hallett. i have a new set of full treads for rains used for one session (qual). i just picked up a new set saturday. i dont plan on buying new tires at all for '07. except if a go to Nats. then i'll have a fresh set for that.

kinda gotten off topic.

Rob Liebbe
01-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Thoughts and comments:

The Toyos seem to have a good construction quality/uniformity and don't seem to require much weight to begin with.

I balance every tire every time primarily to eliminate tire balance vibrations that would mask another vibration source. However, I have access to mounting and balancing equipment at no charge. If I was paying for it, I might not do it unless I felt a problem. I have not noticed the balance changing due to wear to any significant degree.

I also use standard clip-on weights as my experience with tape on weights is that they tend to fall off if not taped and the tape makes a mess when you do use it.

I also watch the tire on the balance machine while it is spinning to look for wheel out of round, tire out of round, or any bulges in the tire. Helps identify damaged tire or wheel.

Because of my access, I probably flip the tires more than others to cancel out the Mustang wear patterns in an attempt to prolong the tire's life. I also run less negative camber than most in an effort to prolong tire life as well.

There you go - my 2 cents borderlining on too much info.

Rob Liebbe
01-16-2007, 03:07 PM
What would be your thoughts of balancing the wheel w/o tire and leaving the weights on the wheel regardless of the tire on it?

Sorry, I missed this question before.

This strategy will do no good as the tire and wheel must be balanced as an assembly. Also, the tire is the driving factor in the equation due to its greater weight and larger diameter.

marshall_mosty
01-16-2007, 03:34 PM
This strategy will do no good as the tire and wheel must be balanced as an assembly. Also, the tire is the driving factor in the equation due to its greater weight and larger diameter.

I believe the engineer speak would be "larger polar moment of inertia" instead of "greater weight and larger diameter"... 8)

nuttin but lub fo ya man.

Rob Liebbe
01-16-2007, 03:51 PM
I guess having to explain technical matters to lawyers on a regular basis has weakened my engineering vocabulary. I'll try to remember the high quality of this audience in the future.

AI#97
01-16-2007, 06:00 PM

I also use standard clip-on weights as my experience with tape on weights is that they tend to fall off if not taped and the tape makes a mess when you do use it.

Rob, I have always caught hell for having clip ons and only use tape weights and foil tape over them. Everyone that has bitched to me complains about taking lead clip ons in the windshield and don't want that...

Food for thought.....

Rob Liebbe
01-16-2007, 06:44 PM
I haven't lost a clip-on yet. I'm very careful when installing them to make sure they are on tight. I wouldn't guarantee the same attention to detail down at NTB so I do agree with your point.

Just like making sure the lug nuts are tight - sorry, couldn't resist. :o

AI#97
01-16-2007, 07:29 PM
I haven't lost a clip-on yet. I'm very careful when installing them to make sure they are on tight. I wouldn't guarantee the same attention to detail down at NTB so I do agree with your point.

Just like making sure the lug nuts are tight - sorry, couldn't resist. :o

Not many people can say that they TRULY drove the wheels off a car! :wink: Besides, the root of that problem was distractions while working on the car in the pits....which I have changed my habits. However, if a girl with a nice ass walks by with a tight pair of boy shorts on while I am working on the car in the pits....beware of flying tires from AI#97!!! :lol:

jeffburch
01-16-2007, 08:21 PM
I feel once the new year turns over, all bonerz should never be mentioned here again. (Lugnutz, noggin stitchez, hood pinz, yellow flagz, etc.)

AICMCTx manlaw.
Can I get a amen bruthaz?

jb

Rob Liebbe
01-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Amen Brutha - only 350 dayz until the New Year!!!! 8)

Al Fernandez
01-17-2007, 12:41 PM
My experience might be different because I only run old, beat up OEM wheels...but I always balance whenever the tire gets mounted or flipped. I also try to get stick on weights. Particularly with old wheels it makes inspection much easier.

I've had weights come off my wheels two times in mid run and it was immediately noticeable.

michaelmosty
01-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated!!!

AI#97
01-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Wait a minute....for some reason I thought it was Marshall who posted this thread....damn I need to learn how to read.

Micheal, given your "incident" going into T1 at TWS last year.....I would think that you would prefer your tires to be 100% perfect....?
:lol:

michaelmosty
01-18-2007, 12:17 PM
That incident had nothing to do with a tire being out of balance. It felt a little "sloppy" making the slight left hand turn going onto the straight. I had never had a tire go down on me before and I realize now that the tire was already doomed before the straight. :(
Lesson learned w/ no injuries, kindov like your wheel flying off. :wink: :D

marshall_mosty
01-18-2007, 12:24 PM
I haven't (fingers crossed) had any tire issues.... yet.

Todd Covini
04-28-2008, 12:10 AM
Reviving this old thread with a new related question.

Got new tires for the Focus (again).
Anyway, my connection at NTB wasn't there this weekend and I just needed to get them done. I wasn't too happy about paying $10/tire for balancing but was even more unhappy when they stacked the weights on one wheel!!! I told the guy for $10 each I would have thought they wouldn't stack stick-on weights like that...why not use them side by side?

I got a dumb look back...

Anyway...anyone ever see Stacker 2 wheel weights?

-=- T

mitchntx
04-28-2008, 07:28 AM
I would peel them off, say that they slung off and get you "guy" to redo it.