PDA

View Full Version : 85 A-Sedan Mustang for Sale

Rob Liebbe
01-19-2007, 09:06 AM
I stumbled across this on Craig's List - Houston last night.

I have no affiliation with or knowledge about the car at all.

http://houston.craigslist.org/car/257768682.html

Adam Ginsberg
01-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Wow...talk about deja vu. 85 GT A/S, #5, red/burgundy, same cage, etc.

Damn....$5500. You can't build that car for $5500.

Mike Bell
01-19-2007, 09:57 AM
That car has been for sale for several years off/on. If I recall correctly, last time I saw it posted the asking price was more like $14K lol. Guess the market is a bit soft...

Rob Liebbe
01-19-2007, 10:16 AM
That could be Adam's "backup" car.

AI#97
01-19-2007, 10:19 AM
off the top of your head....what would it take to make that CMC compliant? stock motor and....?

Adam Ginsberg
01-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Based on my SCCA A/S vehicle experience.....items that will likely have to changed, but not necessarily have been installed on this car, are:

1. Headers - aftermarket headers are permitted in A/S, but not in CMC. Stock headers only, the rest of the exhaust is free. Definitely easy to make a few $$ on aftermarket headers, and get stockers for free/next to free.
2. Intake - they don't typically use the CMC-permitted Edelbrock intake ( mine didn't, and I changed it ). CMC only allows the Edelbrock Performer intake ( part # 2121 ). Sell and replace with the 2121, and likely come out even, or possibly make a few bucks.
3. Rear suspension - A/S allows a TQ arm and rear weight jackers. I don't know if that car has any of those items, but if it does, they have to be removed. A PHB is permitted in CMC. Sell and make $$.
4. He lists GT40 heads, and roller rockers - GT40 heads are now legal in CMC, and only Ford 1.7RR's are permitted. Basically, the stuff a stock 93-95 Cobra came with.
5. Engine internals - that's a toss up. You're not permitted to make any changes from the stock internals, but you don't know what he's got in the engine. Contact Todd to discuss.
6. Front weight jackers - some A/S cars have been known to run them. They are not CMC legal. Sell and replace with stock front control arms...and make a few $$$.
7. Steeda X2 front ball joints - not CMC legal. Sell and replace with stock and make a few $$$.
8. Tremec TKO tranny - not CMC legal. 3550, or T5 only. That'll likely be a wash on costs.
9. Ignition - aftermarket ignition systems are A/S legal, but not in CMC. That's an easy one to replace, and even make a few $$.

But...some of what A/S requires is awesome - the fuel cell, the fire system, and it probably has an SFI bellhousing. My car has those items, and they were huge selling points for me. The cell alone is about $1000, the fire system is another ~$400-$500, and the bellhousing new is ~$300 - all are excellent features to have in any race car. It's even got a Sparco seat - depending on the model, that's another ~$300-$900, or more ( if it's a CF shell, they go for ~$1700 ). It already has the later-model brake booster and MC.

Another great selling point - it has an SCCA logbook. A logbook is similar to the title of a car - it lives with the car forever. If you make it CMC legal, and it gets a NASA logbook as well - having logbooks in 2 sanctioning bodies makes it more marketable in the future if you decided to sell it. I have SCCA and NASA logbooks for my car.

There may be some other items on that car that are not CMC legal, but if it's not be prepared to the fullest extent of the A/S rules ( many regional cars typically aren't ) - it's an excellent candidate for CMC. It's in Houston - if you are serious, contact Todd to see if he can inspect it, and give you an idea of what to expect. Many items you would have to remove from the car can be sold to offset any costs outlayed to replace them....and, it's likely you'll make money in the process. I sold my Holley Annihilator ignition for $75....all I had to purchase was a new Duraspark box for $30 to replace it.

As I said, you can't build that car for $5500. I paid $4500 for mine in 2003, and it was prepped similarly to that one ( similar, but not identical...it didn't have GT40 heads or RR's ).

Hell, I wish I had the $5500...I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Mike Bell
01-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Buy it Matt, I double-dog dare ya to come CMC racing! :wink:

Adam Ginsberg
01-19-2007, 03:53 PM

Honestly?? I don't know if Matt is up to dealing with the type of racing we do in CMC. I don't mean it as a slam to Matt in any way - it's just very different than AI.

AI#97
01-19-2007, 05:53 PM

Honestly?? I don't know if Matt is up to dealing with the type of racing we do in CMC. I don't mean it as a slam to Matt in any way - it's just very different than AI.

Actually I am....just trying to figure out how to hide it from the wife since the divorce isn't final yet. May have my dad buy it now and then I would buy it from him later....and the opening offer is only going to be $4k... I'll see if he bites.

Besides, I wouldn't mind racing you monkeys in CMC with a $4k car!!! :wink:

Actually, if the car is in decent condition even for DE/instructing and is still around at the end of February, I probably will buy it either way. Looking for a cheap car that might even suffice for an occasional daily!

Mike Bell
01-19-2007, 06:38 PM

I agree. CMC racin hasn't been good for my ego lol. But a TON of fun... 8)

AI#97
01-19-2007, 08:53 PM
Well, got a response back from the seller, hasn't been run since late 2003 and sound VERY CMC unfriendly with wrong brakes, tranny and probably a sour engine. Rest of it is probably good to go though... Maybe Wayne needs another race car! :wink: