PDA

View Full Version : Ever feel, mad, lost, out of control, stressed, obssessed

mitchntx
04-04-2006, 08:19 AM
all at the same time?

Left CMC #8 at a rod shop to have the final weld and NASCAR bars installed.

Was told MAYBE Friday ... saturday was doable.

Got a call saturday that he wouldn't be able to get the bars completed and asled if I could wait till Monday.

I told him I would be at his shop late Monday evening to pick up the car.

Arrived after 5 ... nothing had been done.

Went to dinner and screwed around ... 1 bar was bent ...

Not gonna get it done, he says.

Now, I can understand delays and interuptions. But from my perspective, when you make a commitment, you keep that commitment.

I just don't understand prima-donnas. Adam/Eric ... help me out here.

CMC #8 is in SERIOUS jeopardy of not being complete. We have lost at least a week of build time and the clock is still ticking.

AI#97
04-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Mitch, I have a bender and about 50 feet of tubing....you are welcomed to borrow it if need be.

Your frustration is why I do EVERYTHING on my car....only person to be mad at is ME!!!!

CMC17
04-04-2006, 08:36 AM
I used to feel like that 100% of the time. Then I found what I was looking for.... my Zen Garden. Zen gardening helps clear the mind of the chaos associated with everyday life. The rocks represent mountains and the sand represents water. The patterns you create by raking the sand around the rocks will provide you with serenity. <http://www.officeplayground.com/zengarden1.html>

I do see the frustration in the situation you describe. Their commitment is very hollow and a date/time should have been more realistic on their part. Telling someone what they want to hear just to get them to go away or put them off is wrong.

If I could weld and bend pipe on that level, I'd be more than happy to come up and help you out.

Seriously, hope everything works out and #8 will be ready by the next event.

mitchntx
04-04-2006, 08:56 AM
After watching this WyoTech grad and 2 of his co-worker dick the dog for over an hour and get a single bend completed, my confidence in my abilities as a fabricator has gone up significantly.

Glenn and I notched and installed the cage in less than 2 days, except for the NASCAR bars. We have no bender.

But we will soon ...

chicane23
04-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Sorry you guys are having these issues, but I can completely understand your frustrations. I had my New Mustang at the fabricator for 14 months before the cage was done. ;-)

"But from my perspective, when you make a commitment, you keep that commitment." Oh I wish it was that easy, but life is never that easy.

You can always try Todd Oppermann at MSR @ 214-476-8391. He is really good and might be able to help you if he has time.

AI#97
04-04-2006, 09:41 AM
After watching this WyoTech grad and 2 of his co-worker dick the dog for over an hour and get a single bend completed, my confidence in my abilities as a fabricator has gone up significantly.

Glenn and I notched and installed the cage in less than 2 days, except for the NASCAR bars. We have no bender.

But we will soon ...

Go here www.lowbucktools.com

I have the tubing bender and it works awesome! The operator using it needs a little practice but it works flawless.

mitchntx
04-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks Matt ...

I asked Alan Blaine his opinion and he put me onto thiese guys ...

www.jd2.com

Specifically, the model 3 bender.

mitchntx
04-04-2006, 10:19 AM
JG ... those guys were on our list when I recalled the dude in Granbury.

Close, convenient, and supposedly quick.

Live and learn, eh?

Oh and one small detail I forgot to mention ... his dad is the CEO of the place where I work. :roll:

So, I'm screwed ....

GlennCMC70
04-04-2006, 11:51 AM
You can always try Todd Oppermann at MSR @ 214-476-8391. He is really good and might be able to help you if he has time.

AJ told me to use him. we went to this other guy due to location and time. i now wish i had talked w/ Todd.
as mitch said, we are getting our own tubing bender. what this one guy is costing us, we could have paid for the bender. then its just the cost of the dies. the only other thing we need now is a 175 or 225 amp welder. the 135 we both have aint big enough for .120 wall tube. just another reason to go w/ .095" for all the other cages we do.
glad to hear another reference to Todd C @ MSR.

oz98cobra
04-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Another low cost bender option:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35336

AI#97
04-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Another low cost bender option:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35336

Actually, I steered WAY clear of that setup...too many failed bends and actually works to kink the pipe and not DRAW it through the bend....actually weakens the pipe...notice I used the word pipe instead of TUBING because you use TUBING to build a cage....not pipe!

Mitch I looked at that some model but not hydraulic....mine works great but the jack leaks a little...for the price you can't beat it.

Also, a 135 will weld .134 wall tubing....just have to keep it hot. I have the 135 and the .095 on my cage was a breeze. As I strip more weight out of the car, I plan on adding a few more bars so the investment was a no brainer. Also, if I need to make some money on the side...I got what I need to pick up the lose ends from all the deadbeat "cage builders"... :lol:

chicane23
04-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Good luck guys, I hope all works out and you have a great car for Mr. Patterson to drive. ;-)

Todd is very good and very fast.

Take care,

micah
04-05-2006, 03:29 AM
to anyone reading this post thinking about putting a cage in a car that does not yet have one, kirk racing that has the ad in GRM built both my cage and the cage in my dads car,call him ,he gives you a day ,i took my car to him in birmingham,AL dropped it off dad and i spent the day @ barber motorsports park and the motorcycle museum got a hotel room went by the next morning picked the car up and drove home. point being i tow 6-8 hours to race with yall ,i towed 4 hours to drop the car to someone who builds race cages for a living ,if he can't get to it that is what he tells you,i would recommend him to anyone and everyone, i'm not a welder and not willing to take a chance on something built to keep me in one peice

mitchntx
04-05-2006, 05:47 AM
The car is now back in my shop.

After witnessing the "work" this guy did, I am even more confident in mine and Glenn's fabrication skills.

And yes, my 135 Miller is rated to more than the thickness of the cage wall. And yes, Glenn's welds look every bit as good as the "fabricator's" welds.

So, with a bender, we will be set.

The thrash is ON!

CMC17
04-05-2006, 08:02 AM
Good luck guys, I hope all works out and you have a great car for Mr. Patterson to drive. ;-)

Todd is very good and very fast.

Take care,

Yes, MP should concentrate on Todd and only Todd. :lol:

GlennCMC70
04-05-2006, 08:17 AM
as mitch posted, we got the car back @ his shop last night @ 5. by 6 i had 3 spacer bars for the NASCAR door bars cut, knotched, and welded in place. by 10pm we had put a dent in the underdash wiring (starting from scratch), the inside is painted (think bling bling!).
@ this time the brakes system is fabed and installed, motor and trans is in place, and suspension is done. thats about it. counting today, we have 17 days. thats after work durring the week and hoping all day sat and sun. problem is, i'll be in San Antonio the 11th-14th for trainning, NASCAR this comming weekend will require my attendance (work related). but, i'm on vacation the 17th-21st just to ensure this car gets done. here's to working harder @ home that @ work! :shock:

CMC17
04-05-2006, 08:34 AM
as mitch posted, we got the car back @ his shop last night @ 5. by 6 i had 3 spacer bars for the NASCAR door bars cut, knotched, and welded in place. by 10pm we had put a dent in the underdash wiring (starting from scratch), the inside is painted (think bling bling!).
@ this time the brakes system is fabed and installed, motor and trans is in place, and suspension is done. thats about it. counting today, we have 17 days. thats after work durring the week and hoping all day sat and sun. problem is, i'll be in San Antonio the 11th-14th for trainning, NASCAR this comming weekend will require my attendance (work related). but, i'm on vacation the 17th-21st just to ensure this car gets done. here's to working harder @ home that @ work! :shock:

Wow! Sounds like it's coming together with a lot of team work and dedication not to mention the busy schedule you all have already. <cheers> Good luck to you guys and look forward to seeing the completed package at the next event. I would lend a hand if I wasn't so far away.

jeffburch
04-05-2006, 08:43 AM
If you both weren't galavanting around the ranch last weekend, you might've got something done.

Just kidding.
I may know where there is a bender in Colleraville if it'll help.

Good luck,
jb

GlennCMC70
04-05-2006, 09:28 AM
i had plans of putting in about 30 hrs on it last weekend. but i was sitting @ that "fabricators" place collecting dust. that weekend just sitting really hurt.

we are planning on buying a bender. if he wants to sell it, let us know.

cjlmlml
04-06-2006, 11:58 AM
This would make a good Lifetime movie.

jeffburch
04-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Build or Bust.
LaW Whips.
Dinks.
Hood County Floppers.

jb

AllZWay
04-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Build or Bust.
LaW Whips.
Dinks.
Hood County Floppers.

jb

With Glenn's bling bling stuff.....it is more like Pimp my CMC . :lol:

mitchntx
04-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Anyone know where I can get a helmet chromed?

We are probably 8 to 10 man-hours away from hearing it run ... Glenn and I both have put in 10 hours a day on it ... AFTER WORK!

GlennCMC70
04-06-2006, 04:39 PM
got home @ 1:15 am this morning. got to be @ 2am. thats after a full 8hrs @ TMS setting up for NASCAR. gonna pull another late one tonight. :?

Pimp my CMC - thats a good one. look for that on the bumper! :lol: