PDA

View Full Version : Team Rules and Procedures

Todd Covini
02-02-2007, 12:41 AM
Folks,
A number of questions have come up with regards to team rules and common practices. After many discussions with the series directors and confirmation with Clifton, our Race Director, we wanted to make sure we're all on the same page. Here are the rules and practices which will be followed:

22.4.1 Intent
The intent of the NASA team rule is to allow two (2) drivers to share the costs of racing
one car during a racing season.
Our intent in AI/CMC is to promote car count whereby one driver might not be able to make all the events for many reasons however two drivers (and their cars) can make it to all the events.

22.4.2 Declaration
The drivers must declare the team for any class(es) before either of the drivers has
participated in their first race of the season in that class(es). The declaration must be
done in writing to the NASA local office.
For AI/CMC...the series directors are keeping these records on file as the points keepers, so the declarations should come to the Series Directors.

22.4.3 Points Tally
Once the team is declared the two (2) drivers shall have their points tallied together.
Either driver may qualify or race the car, however both drivers must be registered for that
event.
If one driver qualifies then that driver should also be racing. If there is a change in drivers or cars between qualifying and racing, that driver must start from the rear of the field.

22.4.4 Restrictions
A maximum of two (2) drivers may be on a team in each NASA racing series.* Each
driver may only be on one (1) team per series. If both teammates are driving in the
same race, the lowest finishing position shall earn points (exception: CCR section #22.5,
and *the endurance racing series)
You can only be on one team per series. i.e.- may be on an AI team and a CMC team...but only one team per series. If both drivers are in the same race AND DON'T DECLARE WHO THE TEAM POINTS DRIVER WILL BE PRIOR TO THE RACE START, THEN THE LOWEST FINISHING POSITION WILL EARN POINTS. Two qualifying team members can declare which driver will be accumulating points after qualifying and before the race.
Be sure to notify the series directors of your intentions prior to the race.

22.4.5 Privateer Runs
A driver may collect points for himself/herself, independent of his/her declared team, so
long as he/she notifies the Event Chairman, or Race Director BEFORE qualifying.
Since the AI/CMC Series Directors maintain our points, (and are generally the race directors for our series) please notify one of the Series Directors. With prior notification to the series directors as to who the points earner for the team will be, only then will the 2nd team member then be declared a Privateer Run and earn points for him or herself.

Todd Covini
Al Fernandez
Glenn Landrum
David Donovan

mitchntx
02-02-2007, 06:56 AM
22.4.3 Points Tally
Once the team is declared the two (2) drivers shall have their points tallied together.
Either driver may qualify or race the car, however both drivers must be registered for that
event.
If one driver qualifies then that driver should also be racing. If there is a change in drivers or cars between qualifying and racing, that driver must start from the rear of the field.

What? If Todd and Al are team mates and Al can't make an event at all, he must still register so that the team can garner points?

That doesn't sound right ...

RichardP
02-02-2007, 08:58 AM
22.4.3 Points Tally
event.

I fully disagree with the interpretation of that section of the rule. That’s just not what it says. The team drivers should be interchangeable. That includes one driver qualifying while the other one races.

Logistically, who is going to keep records of who was in the car for qualifying? What about the inverted races. Who “qualified” for that race. With the standard format for Sunday now being one qualifying session and one long race, one of the team drivers is specifically excluded from doing a session on Sunday???

I believe the interpretation of that one needs to be re-looked at.

Richard P.

Waco Racer
02-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Mitch, that applies only if they will be sharing the driving during that event. If one driver is not at a particular event then it is somewhat obvious which driver will be earning the points for the team.

RichardP
02-02-2007, 09:02 AM
What? If Todd and Al are team mates and Al can't make an event at all, he must still register so that the team can garner points?

That doesn't sound right ...

That's not the standard intrepretation. Basically, anyone behind the wheel of a car on track needs to be registered for the event.

Richard P.

mitchntx
02-02-2007, 10:17 AM
I didn't think so ... but literal interpratation and the subsequent "clarification" can certanly be read that way ....

Todd Covini
02-02-2007, 10:53 AM
22.4.3 Points Tally
event.

I fully disagree with the interpretation of that section of the rule. That’s just not what it says. The team drivers should be interchangeable. That includes one driver qualifying while the other one races.

Logistically, who is going to keep records of who was in the car for qualifying? What about the inverted races. Who “qualified” for that race. With the standard format for Sunday now being one qualifying session and one long race, one of the team drivers is specifically excluded from doing a session on Sunday???

I believe the interpretation of that one needs to be re-looked at.

Richard P.

Fair enough, RP. I'll defer to Clifton's interpretation and allow him to re-look at it. We'll get back to y'all.

-=- Todd

Todd Covini
02-02-2007, 12:52 PM
...this was what I was basing it on.

20.2.4 Teammates and Vehicle Substitutions
The same driver or his/her legal teammate must qualify the car to be raced. A driver
may change cars after qualifying, however he/she must start in the back of his/her class.
The Race Director must approve any car change, before the start of the race. The Race
Director reserves the right to refuse to allow an entrant to race a car of a different class,
if the change of cars could be an advantage over other competitors.

RichardP
02-02-2007, 01:33 PM

The same driver or his/her legal teammate must qualify the car to be raced.

That strengthens my position. The team drivers are interchangeable. Cars are not.

Example: If you go out and qualify your Mustang, either you or Al can race your Mustang from your qualifying position. Either you or Al are also allowed to race Al's Camaro in the race but you must have the permission of the race director to switch cars and you must start from the back.

Richard P.

Waco Racer
02-02-2007, 11:34 PM
As far as changing driver or car:

1. Changing the driver to a teammate = no loss of qualifying position

2. Changing the driver to a non-teammate = loss of qualifying position

3. Changing the car but using the same driver, whether it is a teammate's car or not = loss of qualifying position

Todd Covini
02-02-2007, 11:42 PM

The same driver or his/her legal teammate must qualify the car to be raced.

That's fair....I read it as...
The same driver must qualify the car to be raced or the same legal teammate must qualify the car to be raced.

I also read the section heading as "teammate substitution" and "Vehicle substitution".

The important thing is that we're now all on the same page before there's an issue!

-=- Todd

mitchntx
02-03-2007, 12:38 AM
Can I sell my qual position?

Todd Covini
02-04-2007, 10:32 PM
You sure can...but I don't think it'll be worth much! :shock:

Pa-dump- sheesh!!!

David Love AI27
02-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Amber and I are Team LiiR, but if Amber and I both run on the same weekend, She in the CMC#10 and I in the AI#27, we can opt to have Amber run as a privateer for points in CMC and I can earn points in AI for LiiR. Correct???

Todd Covini
02-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Correct.
LiiR can actually have an AI team and a CMC team.
We could technically have both of you out there racing for LiiR...one gaining points for AI...one for CMC. Two different series.

...but the way you described with a privateer effort works too.

-=- Todd

Todd Covini
03-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Question came up during the last event and I want to re-iterate the expectation.

22.4.5 Privateer Runs
A driver may collect points for himself/herself, independent of his/her declared team, so long as he/she notifies the Event Chairman, or Race Director BEFORE qualifying.

As such, the points accumulating driver for a team must be declared BEFORE qualifying.

A 2-car team can't see which car is faster/has better grid position after qual and then declare who will accumulate points for to the race.

Just a clarification. Everyone was in compliance last weekend, but the question came up if they could wait to decide. Hope this clears things up.

-=- Todd

mitchntx
03-10-2007, 08:46 PM
22.4.1 Intent
The intent of the NASA team rule is to allow two (2) drivers to share the costs of racing
Our intent in AI/CMC is to promote car count whereby one driver might not be able to make all the events for many reasons however two drivers (and their cars) can make it to all the events.

22.4.5 Privateer Runs
A driver may collect points for himself/herself, independent of his/her declared team, so
Since the AI/CMC Series Directors maintain our points, (and are generally the race directors for our series) please notify one of the Series Directors. With prior notification to the series directors as to who the points earner for the team will be, only then will the 2nd team member then be declared a Privateer Run and earn points for him or herself.

So, Covini declares to garner points for Team Taco. Fernandez decides to privateer the weekend because he doesn't know the track and wants to learn it.

R2 has an inverted start and Fernandez starts up front.

He moves over and lets Covini by for an easy pass, but makes everyone else work hard to get around.

How is that fair? Two cars on the track from team mates is inviting problems.

JMHO

Todd Covini
03-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Hmmmmm....now that you point that out...between Corey/Morgan....Mike/Eric....and Al/Myself, ya' think we might be able to pull a fast one on that Landrum feller and slow 'em down a bit????

Thanks for the idea, Mitch!

I'd like to ask Bell/Varner/Reuth/Dawdy/Fernandez and any other teams to stay over after the driver's meeting at TWS...just to talk. :lol:

-=- T

mitchntx
03-10-2007, 11:54 PM
I doubt I'm the smartest person in this group. There are some sneaky SOBs amongst us.

Todd Covini
03-11-2007, 12:01 AM
http://www.worth1000.com/entries/113000/113356PUWT_w.jpg

mitchntx
03-11-2007, 02:30 AM
And some just SOBs ... :roll:

CMC17
03-11-2007, 10:18 AM
I doubt I'm the smartest person in this group. There are some sneaky SOBs amongst us.

No way....uhuh... don't believe it. 8)

David Love AI27
03-12-2007, 07:54 AM
22.4.1 Intent

22.4.5 Privateer Runs

He moves over and lets Covini by for an easy pass, but makes everyone else work hard to get around.

How is that fair? Two cars on the track from team mates is inviting problems.

Just so you know... If Amber is in the 10 car and Jason in the 27, NEITHER one will "help" their "teammate" so no worries there...

Which brings up another issue, could we designate a "time out" area for "driver cooldown", I have a feeling team LiiR may need it...

Anyone remember the '79 Daytona??? It is not hard for me to see Amber and Jason throwin' punches in the infield...

michaelmosty
03-12-2007, 09:16 AM
It is not hard for me to see Amber and Jason throwin' punches in the infield...
Grabs popcorn. :wink: :lol:

CMC17
03-12-2007, 11:04 AM
It is not hard for me to see Amber and Jason throwin' punches in the infield...
Grabs popcorn. :wink: :lol:

...and video camera!! 8)

jeffburch
03-27-2007, 07:55 AM
Glenn,
We HAVE to form a team next year!
Just think of the possibilities.

another DIVX video link (http://www.texicanracing.com/nasatx/JeffBurch/Renegade_Teamwork_DIVX.avi)

jb

Mike Bell
03-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Pretty sweet pass, lol.