PDA

View Full Version : Learn from my mistake...

Todd Covini
02-05-2007, 11:38 PM
During the warm-up lap of Race 1, Round 1....after a long, long off season...in the cold, cold temperatures of winter....on old, old tires which were recently flipped....one of the Team Taconandez drivers spun CMC#2 while trying to get heat into the tires. (I'd rather not say names so that I don't incriminate him.) 8)

The warmup lap spin was a near 360 and the car remained on the track. We had qualified 4th overall and as such was in the 4th position in the single file at T4 when it happened.

Without skipping a beat, we waited for the field to pass...gathered our thoughts...and proceeded to get back in line where we originally were. We had not yet even reached the halfway mark of the warm-up lap, so it didn't seem to be a problem to tip-toe up the left side of the group whilst screaming "I was fourth....I was fourth".

We took the green flag from our rightful position and ran a great race behind the Mosty brothers who pulled off a family twin win for AI & CMC.

LESSON LEARNED- After the race was finished, an IRB was formed and after consulting the CCR, it was rightfully deemed per the CCR that once a position is lost during the warmup lap that you must remain where you are. In order to return to your position on the warmup lap, you must pass under a double-yellow, a violation of CCR 19.3.6. As such, my race finish points were reset to last place per the penalties described in CCR 27.11.7

We made a mistake...learn something new everyday...and now hopefully if any of you lose a position on the warmup lap for whatever reason, you don't make the same mistake. While there was plenty of room on the back straight for me to come up the side, in hindsight, it is a hazard to do so when folks are scrubbing in tires and not realizing another car is overtaking. That's what the rule and subsequent penalty is there for.

This concludes Lesson #52. :wink:

-=- Todd

Rob Liebbe
02-06-2007, 08:18 AM
You're not gonna take that are you Al?

CMC17
02-06-2007, 08:56 AM
Anyone get this on video? No reason....just wondering. :D

michaelmosty
02-06-2007, 10:17 AM
I'll have to check my video and see if I got it in my rear-view mirror. :wink:

AllZWay
02-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Anyone get this on video? No reason....just wondering. :D

Unfortunately I wasn't running my video during that race.

BTW... Lesson learned for me was..... I now know what my minimum weight will be after a 40 minute race. :x

CMC17
02-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Question - wouldn't all the cars that passed you (Todd) under a double yellow be in violation also if you were still on the track?

jeffburch
02-06-2007, 11:19 AM
That's good Eric!

"Yeah yeah I was just scrubbing my tires like Al told me."
"He said this is the way they're doing it now out west"

jb

Al Fernandez
02-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Eric is absolutely right...everyone else is now sent to the back...we finished 2nd!!! :lol: :wink:

You are allowed to pass cars that are stopped on or off the track while a yellow or double yellow is out...it could've been that the driver spun because the rear end broke and locked up, or some other mechanical. In any case, we, as Todd so policitcally correctly put it, were at fault here.

CMC17
02-06-2007, 12:02 PM
If person "Y" saw the #2 car spin while warming up the tires, that person could have slowed down and waited for the #2 car to get going again?

This could be played out either way since no one can pass car "Y" while the double yellow is displayed or if car "Y" knew he/she could quickly pass a stopped car, thus improving starting position.

I had this happen at TWS a few years ago, but the field behind slowed down enough for me to get back going the correct direction and no position lost.

Who'd you piss off Todd? lol!!

Ok, what if the person behind Todd saw him spin.. went by and then stopped..thus stopping the field. Could Todd have passed the "potentially" disabled cars in the field to pass?

oz98cobra
02-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Eric, you been on the pipe too long today or something? ;)

Stopping on track is prohibited, unless in an emergency, and "waiting for someone who spun to get going again" is not listed as an emergency in the CCRs - so if someone stopped to let a spinner get going again, then they would risk being penalized and the rest of the field would be within their rights to go around them.

CMC17
02-06-2007, 07:39 PM
lol.. yeah waaay too much pipe today :D

I'm just playing out lots of scenarios in my head and each situation would be dynamic. :D