PDA

View Full Version : Texas insurance

Al Fernandez
03-05-2007, 11:14 AM
So another item from the "that wasnt on the brochure" list...Texas insurance is ricockoulous. Granted, the house I bought is about three and a half times the house I have in the bay area, but its a bunch cheaper and yet the property insurance quoted from the same company I've been with for ten years (AAA) is double at just over $2k! :shock:

I figure its quite possible that I'll just have to suck it up...but then again its quite possible that AAA is just not competitive in that market. I called a broker, who shopped around the little (relatively I guess) and came back with a quote of $780. I havent done the apples to apples since I'm sure there are differences in deductibles etc, and I've never even heard of Lincoln General...but I figure this is enough evidence to prove I need to do a serious insurance hunt.

Any advice on carriers, brokers, good and bad would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys.

mitchntx
03-05-2007, 11:39 AM
I have Germania ... been berry, berry good to me ...

donovan
03-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Be careful using a cheaper smaller company. I went that route in the past, as soon as something big comes along like a hurricane or major disaster the company folds.

I had this happen about seven years ago and then again after Katrina. I now use State Farm, I went from paying about $800 to $1300 when I switched, well not switched, they folded under and cancelled everyone leaving me 30 days to find another person. I was lucky because State Farm was not taking new clients, but because I had three cars with them they took me in.

David D.

Nick
03-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Lemme guess.. Texas Select?

Al, you'll have two basic options.. HOA and HOB. One covers water/mold damage, the other does not. The three biggies (State Farm, Allstate, Farmers), don't offer new policies with water/mold coverage (last I heard..). Black mold was a big story a few years ago in TX, but haven't heard much lately...

jeffburch
03-05-2007, 08:30 PM

Al, you'll have two basic options.. HOA and HOB. One covers water/mold damage, the other does not. The three biggies (State Farm, Allstate, Farmers), don't offer new policies with water/mold coverage (last I heard..). Black mold was a big story a few years ago in TX, but haven't heard much lately...
That mold hoopla was all media related BS.

jb

Todd Covini
03-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Take USAA if you can get it.

-=- T

NASA13
03-05-2007, 09:12 PM
State Farm
State Farm
State Farm
They just started writing new policies.
Also expensive, but soooooo worth it if you ever think you might use it.
I have claimed more money from state farm than I have put in.
14 years with Autos and 5 years with House insurance.
My little 2000 square foot house is about 2k a year.

:oops:

donovan
03-06-2007, 10:03 AM

Yup, the second time...

Al Fernandez
03-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Wow, you guys are right...this mold urban legend is just nuts. I've been really happy with AAA out west for a looong time. I started with them because they were the only company that would ensure my vette for less than $3k.

Anyway, I dug deeper with my agent and its all about the mold. Policy without mold coverage: $1100. Policy with 100% mold coverage: $2000!

So, given that I can choose 0%-100% and everything inbetween...what are your opinions on mold coverage??

jeffburch
03-06-2007, 01:37 PM
The presence of it is fairly common.
Nothing new. Prolly some in all houses.
I found some on a west wall in my house. I abated the sheetrock and insulation.
All gone. No biggie.
I think the media got a hold of a few cases and blew it WAY outta proportion. Next thing we know, every house with a leak in a roof had the deadly black plaque. I don't have coverage. I don't want coverage.
I'd get a good inspection on any house I was looking at buying.

jb

mitchntx
03-06-2007, 04:08 PM
I think the media got a hold of a few cases and blew it WAY outta proportion.

jb

Who do you work for again, Jeff?

cjlmlml
03-06-2007, 04:46 PM
stinkin media types

Todd Covini
03-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Freakin' TV reporter types will blow everything out of proportion so they can feed their fat-cat camara-men and high paid news anchors/reporters. :roll:

jeffburch
03-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Hehe.
Fox is the worst! :roll:
OMG? Kill me now.
At least I'm openly ashamed of where my paycheck comes from.
Don't get me going about some of ya'lls employers lol.

jb

NASA13
03-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Mold coverage is worthless, because if you use it, then it will show up on your claims when you try to sell the house. It scares people to death so you can never claim it. Damn Media!