PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Filled Gauges??? Worth the extra $$$

marshall_mosty
03-08-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm going to change over to mechanical oil temp, pressure, and water temp. What are the main advantages to the oil filled gauges? I can assume they are better with respect to vibration, but are there any other reasons to run them?

mitchntx
03-08-2007, 07:32 PM
It allows folks like Ginsberg to be able to accurately read water temp, oil temp and oil pressure while off in the grass.

Fbody383
03-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks, I just spit my sandwich all over the keyboard.

Clean up on aisle 9...

oz98cobra
03-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Go for the oil filled Marshall - you need the extra weight in that lightweight of yours! ;)

Adam Ginsberg
03-09-2007, 03:00 PM
It allows folks like Ginsberg to be able to accurately read water temp, oil temp and oil pressure while off in the grass.

No, no, no....that would be Corey.

donovan
03-09-2007, 03:52 PM

No, no, no....that would be Corey.

Just to be clear...

Adam needs them while spinning in the grass.

Corey needs them while racing thru the grass.

Marshall you don't really need them, I have the AutoMeter Ultra-Lites and they have worked fine for the last four years. I think the oil filled are designed for Off-road or high vibration situations. I know that Todd has them in his Ranger, I asked him once in the past about them... I don't remember what exactly he said but I ended up getting the Ultra-Lites and they are fine.

DD

Adam Ginsberg
03-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Just to be clear...

LOL....bust on me all you want, but I was the ONLY Texas driver at the Nationals who did not have an off-track excursion, or significant mistake.

jeffburch
03-09-2007, 06:33 PM
LOL you just find the edge at all the wrong times, and places.
jb

donovan
03-09-2007, 07:50 PM
you know we love you Adam...

GlennCMC70
03-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Just to be clear...

LOL....bust on me all you want, but I was the ONLY Texas driver at the Nationals who did not have an off-track excursion, or significant mistake.

wow, i beat you w/ my off track excursion or significant mistake? nice.

Todd Covini
03-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Back on topic...I've installed my liquid filled gauges many years ago and they're still going strong. As someone said, liquid filled are for high vibration and/or for longevity. The liquid dampens the movements of the needle/mechanism and prevents premature failure. (They are required on the ships.) ...and that's why I chose them.

Over time, the some of the oil has evaporated/or eeked out. I have different levels in each of the 5 gauges. Someday I'll find the right oil and top them off.

My opinion is that regular gauges probably work just as good....but the true test will be after 10 years. My guess is that the liquid filled one will last longer....that's all.

-=- T

marshall_mosty
03-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

Al Fernandez
03-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Q - Why are fluid filled gauges not filled all the way? You can see the fluid level about 80% of the way up, give or take.

A - If we filled them all the way...you'd never know they are actually fluid filled gauges!

I actually had a fluid filled gauge leak. It'd been sitting around for about three years in a B body Dodge, and it just dribbled about half the oil out. The guy at Autometer was so shocked when I told him he almost had me send it in just so he could see it himself. He was adamant that such a thing was unheard of. He said he couldnt just sell me the fluid because they dont sell it...they dont leak. Finally I convinced him to just ship me a little bottle of the stuff. That was a long time ago, so I'm sure they've gotten a slightly better grip since. I'd still buy them though, never had one do anything more serious than ooze a bit.

y5e06
03-16-2007, 09:08 AM
'air filled' work guages work just fine. no issues.

QI'd still buy them though, never had one do anything more serious than ooze a bit.

Are you sure you're not Blue Oval at heart? You know, used to the oil leaks and all :shock:

mitchntx
03-16-2007, 09:59 AM
been sitting around for about three years in a B body Dodge

Now THAT answers a LOT of questions ...

Morgan, nice one ... <rim-shot>

Todd Covini
03-16-2007, 10:58 PM
been sitting around for about three years in a B body Dodge

Now THAT answers a LOT of questions ...

Morgan, nice one ... <rim-shot>

http://www.ommadawn.pl/cats/nice/kissing-cats.jpg

mitchntx
03-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Covini ... find your own identity. I suggest a snake or rat for you.

Todd Covini
03-16-2007, 11:14 PM
http://www.all-creatures.org/works/images/w-catratbuddies-18aug02.jpg

Todd Covini
03-16-2007, 11:19 PM
http://www.snakesonstuff.com/images/216583948_6e4d4770e3.jpg

Todd Covini
03-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Texas AI/CMC has completed a hostile takeover of the cat personality. In order to retain such identity one must race within the region at least once during the season. We're holding your identity until such time that you can reclaim it. 8)

-=- Todd

mitchntx
03-17-2007, 06:41 AM
Hey screw ... call the warden ...

http://liberalserving.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/behind_bars.jpg

donovan
03-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Covini needs some fluid for his gauges, maybe you two could work out a deal to keep your identity.

http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~ymualim/Animals/Cat-Punishment.jpg

cobra132
03-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Now that's funny! :lol: