PDA

View Full Version : ...things are gearing up for TWS!

Todd Covini
04-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Late nite post and just an update on some things coming together...

1) R2 Writeup :oops:

2) AI Key Fobs (like the CMC ones) arriving this week and will be available at TWS.

3) ~3" x 12" AI series decals for both sides of the AI cars. I've got a bunch from the National office and will provide them for free to all AI racers...make room on your cars, they look great!

4) trophy girls...oh yes...they're comin' back!

5) Friday test day...get your registration into Misty if you plan to take advantage of the test day with the new AI/CMC configuration. Track records are at stake (with proper dyno certifications, of course)!!!

6) Saturday nite G2G....right now, NASA TX is planning an offsite dinner location for everyone. Details to follow once they are determined. We'll tailor onto that and plan for a brief Nationals planning meeting around that location once it's set.

7) Event registration...if you haven't already registered, get it in soon. Preliminary indications are that this will be a big TWS event (even some of the Colorado Spec Miata guys are comin' down!!! RayBob...where are ya' dude.)

More details and info coming soon...work has been kickin' my butt and keeping me away from racin' (...but still nothin' like those powerplant turnarounds you only read about and see on The Simpsons.) :wink:

-=- Todd

Nick L
04-14-2007, 07:14 AM
Hey Todd,

Where is the test day registration info?

thanks, nick

jeffburch
04-14-2007, 07:52 AM
http://www.aicmctexas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1031

jb

Nick L
04-14-2007, 01:13 PM
thanks...

GlennCMC70
04-17-2007, 09:33 AM
is all the smack talk being held till after the secret testing is done this weekend?

all your track records belong to me! :P

GlennCMC70
04-17-2007, 12:06 PM
update - looks like my wife and both kids are coming to this event. we will be there late Thursday night. i think James Proctors wife and kids are comming too. who else?
think i heard about a party Sat night somewhere.

mitchntx
04-17-2007, 01:02 PM
If the weather is nice, I might ride the bike down.

Wirtz
04-17-2007, 01:44 PM
We will be there either Thusday night or early Friday morning for the test session. Me, wife, and our 2 daughters. Should be in one of the garage spaces. Hopefully we finally get to meet everyone.

Got the intake and distributor / wires all done last night. Almost got the front pullies and water pump done but found a fit problem where the water pump hits the left side acc bracket. I need to fix it tonight. Then hopefully I drop it in the car itself. Looks like the exhaust Y pipe I ordered is not going to make it. Now I need to find a way to build an exhaust from the manifolds back... That is going to kill some time.... Feels like a million things to do and not enough time.

Jeff

AllZWay
04-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Yep.. The wife and kids are making the trip this time.

I called the Manor Inn and it is booked up. The Days Inn next door didn't have any rooms with 2 beds except for smoking rooms and that was the case for several hotels I called.

We are staying at the La Quinta....about 2 miles north of the Manor Inn.

BryanL
04-17-2007, 07:57 PM
I am planning on coming down for more HPDE/licensing. Want to do the Friday test so I would come down Thursday night as well. If it would just quit raining so I could finish the eng/trans install and test it this weekend I am there. Hopefully picking up an enclosed trailer next week so I may park myself in the trailer. Whats the deal with the garage spaces? Interested in any party for sure. Wifes preggo and staying at home. Its a college town so I'm game for hitting that aggie chicken hangout?

Bryan "I swerve at cats and mustangs"

Todd Covini
04-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Great to hear some of the newbies thrashing to come join us at TWS!!!
Finish what you can and DEFINATELY run whatyabrung...we can all help you finish 'er up in the paddock, guys!!!

Here's what I know at this point...

1) Clifton's finalizing the weekend schedule...it'll be our "default weekend schedule"-
Sat- pract/qual/20 min race/ 20 minute race (inverted)
Sun- qual/ 40 minute race (rolling start due to TWS)

2) Saturday nite NASA is getting a banquet room at Fuddruckers and we can all meet up there for dinner. The series directors will try to reserve some tables/an area for all of our AI/CMC racers to dine together. We'll talk a bit in the paddock on Saturday during our AI/CMC driver's meeting about Nationals and such, but more detailed discussions/plans will be discussed at the Fuddrucker's dinner. Todd & Glenn will take the lead on that.

3) Aimee & Brittany, our AI/CMC super-models, can't make the TWS event, but we'll have a few of their friends to assist us with podium pics. New for this event, NASA is going to try and literally SCHEDULE all of the trophy presentations/podium pics for end of the day on Saturday (much like we did at Nationals). I'll post a few pics of our current candidates.

4) More details as they become available...

5) High Speed TWS....and my team-mate has a 4th gen Camaro. 8)
I'm not as dumb as I look. (no comments, Mitch)

-=- Todd

PS- My arm could be twisted to head over to the Dixie Chicken after Fuddruckers. :twisted:

Todd Covini
04-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Some of the trophy girl candidates as of now..

Carol
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/7708/161390.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/7708/161391.jpg

Laura
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/7708/161392.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/7708/161393.jpg

Jackiehttp://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/7708/161395.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/7708/161394.jpg

and for you gals, we have a special treat:
http://www.texasdrivingexperience.com/images/crew/Mitch.jpg

-=- T

NASA13
04-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Yeah I can say it,
Mitch is hot!

Todd Covini
04-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Lisa...Does Corey know you're using his internet account this late at nite? :oops:

mitchntx
04-18-2007, 04:26 AM
After that picture was taken, I got a nice jacket with my name embroidered on it. Some of you might've seen it at Cresson.

We then spent a couple hours thrashing new Mustangs on a skid pad and mini-autocross course.

We broke for lunch. It was a catered thing with nice deli sandwiches, salads and some interesting cheesecake. Not much into cheesecake like Todd.

We then spent a couple hours on the TMS roval in C5 Z06 Vettes. I know I had to have the Vette I was issued fueled once before it was over.

At the end of the day, I got a new pair of Piolti shoes, crew shirt and hat.

When I got home, I sent them a bill for my services.

BryanL
04-18-2007, 07:40 AM
I bet the last model digs guys in Miata's.

Okay Todd, I will twist your arm to go to the Dixie Chicken.
I will have Carol on my right arm and Mitch on my left. Its a total toss up on which one is hotter. Its all in the eyes. Well that would be for Mitch. I didn't notice Carol's eyes until the second picture. Man-now I have a reason to get licensed and get on the podium. All I have to do is finish a race since I would be the only one in CMC-2.

Mitch-if you are doing the safety broadcast is there anyway I could get up in the tower, too? I would like to watch a race from that perspective so I could see more of what is going on. At cresson it seems like the tower would allow you to see alot more of the track than the spectators can see. Though if you can see the whole track at TWS no biggie.

Bryan

michaelmosty
04-18-2007, 07:41 AM
1) Clifton's finalizing the weekend schedule...it'll be our "default weekend schedule"-
Sat- pract/qual/20 min race/ 20 minute race (inverted)
Sun- qual/ 40 minute race (rolling start due to TWS)

Todd, a couple questions regarding the race format.
Can we take a vote or discuss the upcoming race format, 40 min. race on Sunday? I feel the 20 minute races are much more exciting, especially with how spread out we get at TWS. I know we started doing the 40 minute races to get everyone prepared for Nationals and I think they have served their purpose.

Since this is our "default weekend schedule" is this format set in stone for the rest of the year? What is the chance this will change for upcoming events this year?

Thanks, just throwing this out there to create some drama. :)

mitchntx
04-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Bryan scares me ...

http://www.funny-animals.org/wp-content/funny-animals/funny-cat.jpg

Waco Racer
04-18-2007, 11:20 AM
I bet the last model digs guys in Miata's.

Mitch-if you are doing the safety broadcast is there anyway I could get up in the tower, too? I would like to watch a race from that perspective so I could see more of what is going on. At cresson it seems like the tower would allow you to see alot more of the track than the spectators can see. Though if you can see the whole track at TWS no biggie.

Bryan

Watch your comments there FNG. Mitch has been nothing but a gentleman around us guys in Miatas. You can go up to the tower but stay out of Race Control.

BryanL
04-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Waco-thanks for allowing me to get up in the tower to watch. At Cresson I really feel like you miss some of the action and lines that the racers take during the race. I think it would help me prepare for an eventual race. Won't be any issues with race control. I understand it is serious in that environment. But right now just having fun.
My comment wasn't directed towards Miata drivers but just messing with Mitch. I apologize if it offended you. I have nothing but respect for any driver/car on the track. I know Mitch is a gentleman. He is a huge reason of why I want to run in CMC-2. He has more than gone out of his way with his time and valuable advice helping me. Though I guess I should have thought about stealing his notebook earlier.

FNG

GlennCMC70
04-18-2007, 11:51 AM
toughen up Bryan, or go buy a Ford. :wink:
hell, he's just a Miata driver, how tall canhe be? :P

mitchntx
04-18-2007, 12:19 PM
Watch it Bryan. Waco-Racer is a big burly guy with a beard. He typically drive a blue Vette.

When you see him at TWS, go up to him and punch him right in the mouth. He'll back down pretty quick.

/drama

BryanL
04-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the tip Mitch. Now I have two burly guys with blue vettes to punch out. I'll take Mixon out with a right hook and use my lightweight left on Waco.
No I really need to get my exhuast hooked up and finish everything so I can see if this thing runs.
Anyone going to Cresson on Sunday that could get me or my car on the track for some laps to check everything out?

Bryan "Sugar Ray Leonard"

rpoz27
04-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the tip Mitch. Now I have two burly guys with blue vettes to punch out. I'll take Mixon out with a right hook and use my lightweight left on Waco.

Geez, Bryan, talk about telegraphing your punches.... BTW, I have a feeling Clifton is faster and sneakier than he lets on. That boy's wiry. Start working on your duck and weave. :wink:

BryanL
04-19-2007, 12:40 PM
No I really need to get my exhuast hooked up and finish everything so I can see if this thing runs.
Anyone going to Cresson on Sunday that could get me or my car on the track for some laps to check everything out?

mitchntx
04-22-2007, 09:09 PM
This work thing is really beginning to bug me. Earning a living is taking WAY too much time away from important things, like racing.

I FINALLY had an opportunity to get the car up on stands and do a detailed inspection. Found several things that need addressing like rear brake pads.

According to the tracking info, they should be here Wednesday. And there is this shoot for work I have scheduled for Wednesday and need to cut for a Thursday release.

Need more hours in the day ... the weekend is looking more and more iffy ...

David Love AI27
04-22-2007, 09:27 PM
TWS... clockwise... as the ol' german dude used to say.. "verrrrrry interesting"... places to watch... downhill through 7 onto the flat back straight and tire wall exiting 4... oh and braking over the hump going into 3... BUT had a BLAST getting back into a race car... my neighbors are tired of me "testing my brakes" in the subdivision

BryanL
04-23-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm in the same boat Mitch. I did run the car at the track yesterday, no leaks, good oil pressure but do have one problem. It cuts out under full/hard throttle. Seems to run just fine when easing into the throttle though and at lower rpms. Hopefully I can get it on the dyno at Simple Quick and they can find out what is wrong. Probably something not hooked up right, bad ground, etc. I need to check over all my 02 sensors as that could be it since the exhaust was out, I took one out, and they were pulled on a little too much so the wires may have come apart.
If that gets fixed then I will register and would like to get in the AI/CMC garage as well if possible.

Bryan

rpoz27
04-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Bryan,
This may not be useful to you, but just in case... I had similar symptoms awhile back after putting in a fuel cell. I'd go WOT and the engine would cut out. I'd back off and things would be fine. Once we figured out that it was actually a pump issue and not O2 sensors, fuel injectors, or fuel cell issues, we tried moving it around and even built an air scoop for it trying to keep it cool. The motor was stock and I was using a stock size fuel pump, but it just couldn't keep up with engine needs at WOT. Kept overheating. Went through two of 'em before I said enough and went overkill. We put in a fuel pump rated up to 1200hp and huge lines. Problem solved. :)

BryanL
04-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Misty,
Thanks for the advice on your experience. That could certainly be the problem and may have contributed to the engine failure?
Glenn asked if I was low on fuel but I had a full tank. I am going to change the fuel filter since I don't know when it has been changed and start the process of elimination.
I am trying to line up some dyno/diagnosis time. I have a fuel pressure test guage I can clip under the windshield wipers to see if I am losing fuel pressure at WOT that I didn't have at the track. I put that with my stuff when I got home from the track yesterday.
Hope to have it figured out tonight.

rpoz27
04-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Good luck! Hope it's ready for this weekend and let me know if you need help trackside.

Al Fernandez
04-23-2007, 09:02 PM
After a long five month winter of completely being ignored (and I mean completely!) my car fired up yesterday. I did have to drop a new battery in since the old one read -0.3 volts. Yep, negative! Other than that my over the winter maintenance consisted of pulling the trailer the race car is in from Concord Ca to Magnolia Tx and re-tightening the straps for the tow to the dyno shop friday morning.

Moral of the story? Don't ever use me as a role model for maintenance! :lol: See you guys friday!!

Todd Covini
04-23-2007, 10:07 PM
I, on the other hand, am a maintenance machine and will have CMC#2 completely overhauled prior to TWS!!!

Fresh engine/tranny oils
Fresh brake pads (oh yes...all around)
Fresh brake fluid (oh yes...all of it)
Fresh tires (uh-huh...only one heat cycle)
Fresh hubs (will be on the truck...I think I can get another weekend)

We'll bring Al's car to a Mustang shop (Houston Performance) on Friday morning to get his annual dyno done before heading up to TWS for an afternoon practice.

+ Staying at the Howard Johnson Express 5 miles from the track (thanks for the offer, Misty, but I wanted to steer clear of Mr. Warren. It's a karma thing, ya' know what I mean.)
+ Driver's meeting Saturday morning...schedule should be out soon.
+ AI/CMC series tech throughout the Sat. morning with the directors coming around. (Have your dyno sheets and logbooks available.)
+ AI/CMC driver's meeting at lunchtime in the AI/CMC paddock area. (Group photo?)
+ Trophy girls Sat. afternoon 3-5 pm...podium pics!
+ Fuddruckers party Saturday nite in the banquet room ~7pm. We'll get an AI/CMC table/area to whoop it up.
...then do it all over again on Sunday!!!

+ TWSB track records at large.
+ With 4 remaining events in the seaon, those who missed the first two will be pressed to do well in the remainder of the events in order to place well in the series points. Championships are still up for grabs!

Many returning veterans and newbie rookies showing up to join the Texas AI/CMC party....see you there!!!

-=- Todd

mitchntx
04-23-2007, 10:18 PM
+ Staying at the Howard Johnson Express 5 miles from the track (thanks for the offer, Misty, but I wanted to steer clear of Mr. Warren. It's a karma thing, ya' know what I mean.)

What? I found a room as well because I was afraid of Todd getting "too friendly".

Sounds like a master plan conceived by Misty to look good on the internet and not be hassled with rowdy racers.

marshall_mosty
04-24-2007, 07:41 AM
You guys have a blast out there. I'll stay in touch with Michael this weekend to make sure you are all behaving.

See you in June!

BryanL
04-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Nice work Todd. I would love to catch a ride around for a few laps on Friday to see the racing line. Also, I might be interested in your old tires.

I am in and registering for Friday practice today. Had a P0300 Random misfire. Simple Quick had some MSD plug wires I put on and it didn't hiccup on the dyno. Made probably 10 pulls without a problem. Though if you watched the Tech 2 at idle it would show a misfire on a few cylinders, but it wouldn't throw a code. I took it out on the service road and made two successful full throttle passes and it felt real strong.
Would like to pit with all of you if possible.

Mitch-is everything to do Time Trials on the NASA website?

mitchntx
04-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Yes ...