PDA

View Full Version : GTO for AI?

TEXAST1
04-16-2007, 09:59 AM
A friend of mine called me from the SCCA days and is selling his T2 GTO. I am not sure if there is a place for it among the Camaros and mustangs. I thought I remembered a rumor about a guy building a couple.

Anyone else know anything about it? :?:

oz98cobra
04-16-2007, 10:29 AM
A friend of mine called me from the SCCA days and is selling his T2 GTO. I am not sure if there is a place for it among the Camaros and mustangs. I thought I remembered a rumor about a guy building a couple.

The GTO is permitted in American Iron, even though it is not an American made vehicle - it is specifically mentioned in the rules.

It should be a kickass platform, and there are plenty of go fast parts available, if not here, from downunder.

GlennCMC70
04-16-2007, 10:37 AM
being sold in the US by a US manufacture is not all that is needed to make it legal?

Al Fernandez
04-20-2007, 07:38 AM
Not by a long shot! Otherwise you'd have people trying to run Corvettes and Vipers there. Now, the upcoming Challenger should be a shoe in. Cant wait to see those on the road.

j3ffbrooks
04-20-2007, 09:03 AM
From the American Iron Rules (http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/American-Iron-Rules.pdf):

6. Car Classifications
6.1 American Iron
(d) (1) 1999-current Mustang Cobra with factory IRS is allowed and updating of 1979-current live axle Fox Body or SN95 cars to factory IRS is allowed. “Factory IRS” is defined as: (a) the unmodified OEM installed rear IRS cradle that attaches to the chassis and serves as a mount for the center differential and uprights; (b) uprights; and (c) differential housing. Control arms and bushing material are unrestricted, but the location of the cradle cannot be changed in relation to the OEM mounting point. The OEM brackets must remain in place and the IRS cradle must mount to the chassis using those points in the OEM location. Bushing material for the brackets and mounts is free (Aluminum, Delrin, etc.) but the mounts must remain as stock. (2) Other IRS cars allowed are MN12 chassis Ford Thunderbirds/Mercury Cougars and 2004-up Pontiac GTO’s with factory IRS. “Factory IRS” is defined as: (a) the unmodified OEM installed rear IRS cradle that attaches to the chassis and serves as a mount for the center differential and uprights; (b) uprights; and (c) differential housing. Control arms and bushing material are unrestricted, but the location of the cradle cannot be changed in relation to the OEM mounting point. The OEM brackets must remain in place and the IRS cradle must mount to the chassis using those points in the OEM location. Bushing material for the brackets and mounts is free (Aluminum, Delrin, etc.) but the mounts must remain as stock.

Jeff

Tommy55
04-23-2007, 02:08 PM

I am looking for a GTO for this winters build. if you are not interested it in pm me and I would like to get a hold of him Thanks :)