PDA

View Full Version : Torsen question

michaelmosty
04-26-2007, 09:47 AM
I just installed a Torsen T2 (not T2R) in the Mustang. Everything went together great with all specs. in line. I got everything installed and while up on jack-stands w/ the wheels on I was going to make sure everything spun properly.
As I clutched out in 1st gear both wheels spun well but right after the clutch fully engaged the left rear wheel stopped. I spun the rear end to 20 mph and the right side worked perfectly and never stopped. I could give a blip on the throttle and the left side would spin slightly and then stop again. Is this the way a Torsen works? I am finishing up some front suspension work tonight and was going to take it for a quick spin around the block. Do I have a problem here?

All feedback is greatly appreciated regarding this issue. Thanks everyone!!

RichardP
04-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Torsen's are "bias sensing" differentials with a "bias ratio" determined by the angle of the helix gears inside.

I believe the bias ratio of the T2 is 2.5:1 (4:1 for the T2R)? What this theoretically means is that you can put down 2.5 times as much torque to the wheel with the most grip as you can the wheel with less grip.

In your example, neither tire has grip. So, the math works out something like 2.5 * 0 = 0. The small rotation you are getting initially is based on the friction and inertia of the parts of the system (initial torque isn’t actually zero, but it’s close).

Sounds like it’s working fine to me. Not surprisingly, Torsens work well on cars with good compliance in the rear end that tend to keep both wheels on the ground. If the rear is set up with a bit of bind or a big sway bar, the Torsen is going to be less than optimal. A clutch type differential would probably be more effective.

Richard P.

michaelmosty
04-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Excellent, thanks for the info. Richard!! Looks like I'll be set to go for this weekend.

All you 4th-gens better watch out!!! :twisted:

GlennCMC70
04-26-2007, 12:00 PM
unlike yourself, i keep my TWS surprises to myself.
i see your Torsen, and i raise you a .............., show up and see suck'as!

michaelmosty
04-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Ohh, I have an aero surprise that you'll see tomorrow and you'll flip out.

I'll give you a hint.......it's a 4th-gen nose on a Mustang! :shock:

Todd Covini
04-26-2007, 01:18 PM
His hand beats your royal (toilet) flush, there Marshall.
Show 'em your cards, Glenn.
:roll:

AllZWay
04-26-2007, 04:05 PM
I got a new dyno cert today.... and found some of that lost torque.

Get ready suckas!! :lol:

Todd Covini
04-26-2007, 11:08 PM
"You've lost...that torquey feeling....whoa-oa...
"You've lost...that tor-oror-quey feelin' til it's gone...gone...gone."