Page 2 of 308 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: So, what did you do today?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffburch
    12 hour day working on racecar :P

jb
    The reason he is the champ.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Tony's baseball game was near Hooks airport this afternoon....saw the B17 and other old planes taking off & landing. It was a pretty cool sight.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffburch
    12 hour day working on racecar :P

jb
    Mine was about 10 hours working on the car... and accomplished nothing. Still have lots to do...

DD

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i only spent about 10 working on mine. but i spent 3 hours working on Enduro stuff too.
    WOW.... it takes allot to organize one of these Enduro's from a Team standpoint.

Make no mistake, enduros take a lot of work.

Liebbe...whats the story? I would've LOVED to take a ride in that B17!!!
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My company did some sheet metal, work on the Devil Dog (B-25).

http://www.devildogsquadron.com/

We made a new panel and some other pieces. When they got it all back together they had all that donated out to the airport for a fun "thank you" day. Right after takeoff I walked around to the waist gunner sites then back to the tail gunner position. Wow those boys were hard as nails. The prop noise is really bad even with today's headsets. Back in the 40's they were not near as good so no wonder those men went deaf at an early age. Then they called me to the front to let me fly the plane. WOW what a deal. After flying for a while the pilot told me to "fly her like she was mine" so I did several turns. I ask him if he was holding the wheel (yoke)....he said no that the airplane is just that heavy in pitch. He had me put it in a dive to about 250 MPH then do a climbing turn. You would not believe the pressure it took to pull the airplane up out of the dive. I used to watch the old movies where two guys try to pull up out of a dive and thought it was BS ......well it's not. With no hydraulics the heavier and faster a plane is the heavier the control forces are.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    B17 ride was indeed very cool. We got to move around inside the plane, everywhere except the tail gun and cockpit. They even had the convertible top remove just aft of the top turret and you could stick your head up into the airstream at 160 mph.

The planes are part of the Collings Foundation and are on national tour. They hop from city to city. They have been to Dallas already, but San Antonio and Austin are coming up on the schedule. Rides are available to anyone for a "nominal" tax deductible donation.

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_schedule-wof.htm
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Put two quarts of oil in the race car. Did several rain/wet sessions at TWS. Won an exhibition race. Had a lot of fun with the SVTOA gang of instructors and got to beat on a 550rwhp GT500.

I think I found a full second or more this weekend at TWS with the setup changes so it was a VERY productive weekend! :twisted:
    Ah, fugg it.

I've always wanted to go up in a B-17, B-25 or P-51. Awesome opportunity there!

Kari and I got to hang out with Jack Beckman on Saturday. He's the #2 points driver in Top Fuel Funny Car. I used to work with him in the 80's while in the USAF stationed at Cannon AFB/Clovis NM. Different world for sure in the pits and working on those cars.

Fun time!

http://www.tek-racing.net/FastJack.jpg

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Jack sure got it sideways on Sunday. Heck of a good save. Are you coming to the Dallas race?