Page 228 of 308 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230238278 ... LastLast
Results 2,271 to 2,280 of 3071

Thread: So, what did you do today?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    Cool.. I'll have to try and catch. I watch that show on occasion.
    When they interview JD, you can see my front passenger tire/fender. Michael's blown engine is also in the background.
    When they interview Tommy, you can see down the passenger side of my car.
    When they interview the auction guy, you see my Dad's 50 Oldsmobile
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    So I've been chasing a misfire for a while on cylinder #1. It's been throwing a P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire). I did check the compression at some point last year and it was fine. It really only seemed to happened at idle, so I hadn't bother checking the compression in a while, especially since the car made so much power on the dyno in January. Decided to check the compression tonight and sure enough, cylinder #1 was ~90, with the two others I checked at ~180. Oddly enough, this is the same cylinder that has had issues in the past. Changed injectors and coil packs when I got the new engine last year, so don't think either of those caused the issue.

Will probably go ahead and race the car this month and figure out what to do after that. Pretty sure it couldn't be anything else but piston/rings, but it still seems to run fine above idle and seems to have power. Had the car out this past weekend and ran great except cold idle...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bent valve.
    Pull the spark plug and stick an air hose in there that threads into the hole. Pressurize the cylinder and listen for where the air comes from - intake, exhaust, or crankcase. That will tell you where the issue is.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    Bent valve.
    Pull the spark plug and stick an air hose in there that threads into the hole. Pressurize the cylinder and listen for where the air comes from - intake, exhaust, or crankcase. That will tell you where the issue is.
    At TDC with both valves closed of course

Will give that a shot tonight or tomorrow. Will probably try the pouring a bit of oil down the cylinder trick and see if the compression changes first. I would think if the compression goes up it's likely rings.

Quote Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
    Will give that a shot tonight or tomorrow. Will probably try the pouring a bit of oil down the cylinder trick and see if the compression changes first. I would think if the compression goes up it's likely rings.
    Kevin,
    I have a leakdown tester you can borrow if you cover the shipping costs to get it to you.
    Marshall Mosty

I may take you up on that offer. I'm going to try it with one of those air guns with a rubber tip on the plug hole tonight and see how that works. Will probably be more accurate to just use an actual tester though.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    Kevin,
    I have a leakdown tester you can borrow if you cover the shipping costs to get it to you.
    Can someone remind me when to do a compression vs leakdown test? If it passes a compression test is the motor okay?

Hey Marshall-if needed could get that leakdown tester from your tomorrow and use it this weekend couple of days if you don't ship it down to Kevin? I could ship it to him after the weekend. I'm doing a compression test anyway so this might be something worth doing??
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

A leakdown test can be used to determine where you losing the compression at. Valves, cylinder, etc. At least that's my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
    A leakdown test can be used to determine where you losing the compression at. Valves, cylinder, etc. At least that's my understanding.
    http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot..._leakdown.html
    Marshall Mosty