Page 249 of 308 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251259299 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,490 of 3071

Thread: So, what did you do today?

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    "I'm not trying to beat you up, just supporting your observation that I want to continue to learn and understand the expectations of those racing around me."

Best statement in this thread.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    "I'm not trying to beat you up, just supporting your observation that I want to continue to learn and understand the expectations of those racing around me."

So true!

[QUOTE=blk96gt;70366]
    *I know the CCR says 3/4 car width, but I really hate this rule. If I establish a position beside someone on a straight, and then they manage to come down and hit me in the middle of the turn and I didn't have two wheels off track (assuming there's no wall, and I'm on the edge of the track), then it's my fault. At least that is my understanding of the rule, so please correct me if I'm wrong. How that constitutes good, clean, and fun racing is beyond me.

QUOTE]
    That's is not how the rule works. If you have position (nose to the front doors of the car in front), the car you are overtaking has LOST the right to the line. The 3/4 width rule DOES NOT apply here as the overtaken driver has LOST the right to dictate their line - both drivers MUST be given racing room and both MUST avoid contact by adjust their line accordingly. If you think about it, this makes total sense. If the overtaken does not have the right to the line, they don't get to dictate shit. At this point BOTH drivers must be able to race unimpeded so 3/4 width would put the overtaking driver at a HUGE disadvantage (having to over brake to slow, momentum; adjust their line abruptly; put two wheels off leading to a side by side collision when they had the RIGHT to race.
    If the overtaken car crowds you and causes contact, they are 100% responsible for that contact, as long as you have not made any abrupt change to your line. Now that does not mean the other driver cannot try to intimidate you by pinching a bit or adjust their braking and making you over-brake or go off course but if they make contact that is their fault. My driving coach many years ago was Beaux Barfield (glad he's finally left WhinyCars) and I remember him running me wide or tight over and over and over again for most of an afternoon until I got that through my head...he TOLD me he would back off but every time I kept adjusting my line because of the way he drove. I finally got it through my head and started making really good passes on him. He told me that KNOWING how to take advantage of the rules is one thing, but getting others to GIVE you an advantage under the rules is way more powerful).
    The 3/4 width rule comes into play IFF you have NOT established position, but the pass has been started (e.g. your front bumper overlaps the other car's rear bumper), the overtaken car RETAINS the right to the line but MUST give you 3/4 width. YOU are responsible for adjusting your line at that point including slowing down, but this is where the 3/4 width rule comes in...since you have started the pass, the overtaken driver MUST give you 3/4 width and cannot claim a line that would leave you less than 3/4 width.
    If you have NOT started the pass, then you get NOTHING, NADA, ZIP.
    This is what FIA, SCCA and NASA (albeit not well worded in 25.4.3) are guarding against.

One topic in this light is divebombing. I think of it as a negative example...a bad thing to do. Other people characterize it as a good passing maneuver, within the rules.
    Here are two ways I have heard it described:
    1) (I think a dive bomb is) when an attempt to pass is started when the overtaken car is ALREADY taking the turn and has the RIGHT to the line - maybe they just got off the throttle, maybe just a downshift, or maybe they are turning in...at this point the pass has NOT been started and any contact is 100% the responsibility of the overtaking driver.
    2) (I don't think a dive bomb is) when you come in hot, late brake and overlap the bumpers BEFORE the other driver starts their turn....of course you need to be in complete control..otherwise all bets are off. But this is show some people characterize divebombing...in this light, I don't have a problem with it - I just consider is an aggressive overtake but nothing wrong with it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=BlueFirePony;70373]
    Quote Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
    *I know the CCR says 3/4 car width, but I really hate this rule. If I establish a position beside someone on a straight, and then they manage to come down and hit me in the middle of the turn and I didn't have two wheels off track (assuming there's no wall, and I'm on the edge of the track), then it's my fault. At least that is my understanding of the rule, so please correct me if I'm wrong. How that constitutes good, clean, and fun racing is beyond me.

QUOTE]
    That's is not how the rule works. If you have position (nose to the front doors of the car in front), the car you are overtaking has LOST the right to the line. The 3/4 width rule DOES NOT apply here as the overtaken driver has LOST the right to dictate their line - both drivers MUST be given racing room and both MUST avoid contact by adjust their line accordingly. If you think about it, this makes total sense. If the overtaken does not have the right to the line, they don't get to dictate shit. At this point BOTH drivers must be able to race unimpeded so 3/4 width would put the overtaking driver at a HUGE disadvantage (having to over brake to slow, momentum; adjust their line abruptly; put two wheels off leading to a side by side collision when they had the RIGHT to race.
    If the overtaken car crowds you and causes contact, they are 100% responsible for that contact, as long as you have not made any abrupt change to your line. Now that does not mean the other driver cannot try to intimidate you by pinching a bit or adjust their braking and making you over-brake or go off course but if they make contact that is their fault. My driving coach many years ago was Beaux Barfield (glad he's finally left WhinyCars) and I remember him running me wide or tight over and over and over again for most of an afternoon until I got that through my head...he TOLD me he would back off but every time I kept adjusting my line because of the way he drove. I finally got it through my head and started making really good passes on him. He told me that KNOWING how to take advantage of the rules is one thing, but getting others to GIVE you an advantage under the rules is way more powerful).
    The 3/4 width rule comes into play IFF you have NOT established position, but the pass has been started (e.g. your front bumper overlaps the other car's rear bumper), the overtaken car RETAINS the right to the line but MUST give you 3/4 width. YOU are responsible for adjusting your line at that point including slowing down, but this is where the 3/4 width rule comes in...since you have started the pass, the overtaken driver MUST give you 3/4 width and cannot claim a line that would leave you less than 3/4 width.
    If you have NOT started the pass, then you get NOTHING, NADA, ZIP.
    This is what FIA, SCCA and NASA (albeit not well worded in 25.4.3) are guarding against.

One topic in this light is divebombing. I think of it as a negative example...a bad thing to do. Other people characterize it as a good passing maneuver, within the rules.
    Here are two ways I have heard it described:
    1) (I think a dive bomb is) when an attempt to pass is started when the overtaken car is ALREADY taking the turn and has the RIGHT to the line - maybe they just got off the throttle, maybe just a downshift, or maybe they are turning in...at this point the pass has NOT been started and any contact is 100% the responsibility of the overtaking driver.
    2) (I don't think a dive bomb is) when you come in hot, late brake and overlap the bumpers BEFORE the other driver starts their turn....of course you need to be in complete control..otherwise all bets are off. But this is show some people characterize divebombing...in this light, I don't have a problem with it - I just consider is an aggressive overtake but nothing wrong with it.
    Didn't get past the first 2 lines........ you are incorrect.
    Front tire to the door gives rights to position, not the nose.
    3/4 car width rule still applies even if position is established. It shows that contact was attempted to be avoided by the over taking car by putting 1/4 of the car off track.

Don't post here anymore on this subject. I am starting a new thread.

[QUOTE=GlennCMC70;70374][QUOTE=BlueFirePony;70373]

Right...I meant tire to door. "driver in front loses the right to choose his or her line when the overtaking driver has their front wheel next to the driver"
    Don't post here anymore on this subject. I am starting a new thread.
    phhhtttfffttt!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Nice
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Pulled the transmission and found this...

I broke the output shaft between the 3/2 gear set. Tony at Astro has NEVER seen an output shaft fail in this location. Time to send the 3/2 and cluster to him for a magnaflux and get a new 9310 steel output shaft prior to Cresson.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    Pulled the transmission and found this...

I broke the output shaft between the 3/2 gear set. Tony at Astro has NEVER seen an output shaft fail in this location. Time to send the 3/2 and cluster to him for a magnaflux and get a new 9310 steel output shaft prior to Cresson.
    Impressive, must be that 600ft/lb that hits when you push the turbo boost button.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net