Page 260 of 308 FirstFirst ... 160210250258259260261262270 ... LastLast
Results 2,591 to 2,600 of 3071

Thread: So, what did you do today?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Have them join the TAMSCC, show them how its done.

Been meaning to run an AX event up there, haven't been back since 2011. Was AX chair in 05-07...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar

Yes, I know it's a ford...

Is this CMC legal?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Is this CMC legal?
    That is probably the newest Mustang rule set.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    That is probably the newest Mustang rule set.
    If Ford made it and called it a Mustang then that would become the blueprint for the AI rulebook.

Glenn-nice job finishing up. Like you say it isn't going to really make a difference at your job now but you never know when that might help you out in the future.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Blog Entries
    Ever get Brake Cleaner in your ear? Working on my wives SUV cleaning up underneath with some brake cleaner I was moving to the next spot to clean and had a drop of brake cleaner drop perfectly into my ear just like someone was putting in ear drops. Literally the one in a million shot-Doc Frank. It immediately started killing me. Started flushing my ear under the sink for 20 minutes. Got dizzy and thought I might pass out so I sat down. Looking at my kids I was wondering why the room was spinning so I just laid down on the kitchen floor. At least I didn't puke. Wife called poison control and was told to use two drops of baby oil in your ear and lay down for it to stay there for 30 minutes. That seemed to do the trick. So next time you are using brake cleaner use eye and ear protection.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Same with gasoline but I got a lot more than 1 drop in there. Felt like somebody lit a match and threw that in with it. Rinsing with water gave some relief, but as soon as you pulled your head out it was exactly the same. Only time made the pain subside.

Be careful with the chemicals fellas, their effect is cumulative. The hotter the solvent, the easier it absorbs through your skin. Brake cleaner is great, but don't use it unless you need to. Wear glasses always, use the straw tube and put some cardboard down to absorb the excess so it can evaporate. Don't blow dry it, hose the parts down with cleaner and wait for them to dry, soak up excess standing solvent with paper towels. Denatured alcohol gives a good oil free cleaning most of the time too. Keeping the garden hose and a fire extinguisher handy is cheap insurance as well of course.

Cumulative as in die of cancer from the shit? I go through quite a bit of Brakleen and carb cleaner myself. Another fun fact I'd heard was that using brakleen then welding afterwards can give off deadly fumes. I believe non-chlorinated doesn't have this effect?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    I'd heard was that using brakleen then welding afterwards can give off deadly fumes. I believe non-chlorinated doesn't have this effect?
    Glenn or Mitch posted up something along that line a few years back. Maybe one of them can repost.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

I googled it. Tetrachloroethylene is the one to watch out for, if it's exposed to argon and the heat from welding it forms phosgene gas which apparently was a chemical weapon used in WWI. 4ppm is enough to fuck you up. Lucky for me, I'm a cheapass who hasn't run out of the 10# roll of flux core wire I bought with my welder years ago. So it sounds then like non-chlorinated would be OK, or maybe just makes you grown another arm instead of dying or something. Apparently this was also published in an AI magazine back in 2009.