Page 274 of 308 FirstFirst ... 174224264272273274275276284 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,740 of 3071

Thread: So, what did you do today?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    How much are you going to preload, .002?
    Ish... found several articles about setting up the countershaft to the tight side (0.002-0.00X) especially since new tapered bearings can use the preload.

Countershaft with preload first.
    Mainshaft with end play second.
    Countershaft extension with end play third.

And then beat Mosty in his test mule 3400lb, 235 wide hooptie.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    AI #67 is alive
    11 quarts of SAE30 oil to break in the rings/bearings
    Timing at 10-deg BTDC
    Fuel at 45psi
    TPS at 0.98V
    Rear tires at 30psi
    10 gallons of gas in the tank

Good to dyno next Friday (8-Jan)...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Raised the ride height, re-aligned the car, and got it dyno-ed last week. Everything from here on out is a "should fix/finish"

Been busy making scrap metal art with the new welder.

OIF transmission shop night tonight/tomorrow. Plan is to get the shim package figured out tonight for final assembly tomorrow. Should be fun/interesting.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    OIF transmission shop night tonight/tomorrow. Plan is to get the shim package figured out tonight for final assembly tomorrow. Should be fun/interesting.
    How about I bring my Z06 trans to Hallett and you rebuild it while I drink beer and watch? Sounds tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    How about I bring my Z06 trans to Hallett and you rebuild it while I drink beer and watch? Sounds tedious.
    Pre-load vs. end play. It's all in the "shimmin" instructions, just in a weird order for the newbs.

Sean and I, well Sean, built the end play tool and we think we have it shimmed well. Found several articles on building last week that said, and it makes sense, start with setting the countershaft pre-load. Makes sense that some/most of the horsepower rating comes from the countershaft beeing happily snug in the case halves.

Split the case again and, with no shim in the input/mainshaft hole - bolt up the halves with the shimmed countershaft, and measure the input/main tolerance. split it again and intall input/main shim. Bolt it all back up again, pull reverse idler and countershaft extension shim, install extension, measure...

Make sure you put the extension spacer in correctly and that the blocker is lined up with the keys... or you have no end-play when you should have 0.050ish. THEN you get to do it again.

So Orange is shimmed and the entire crew, including smart guys, is gathering tonight to get it all put together. Not holding breath... have faith in those guys.

Dustin - bring an engine stand, transmission adapter, various snap ring/split ring pliers, 20 ton hydraulic press, bearing separator, press beds, sockets, tubing, rebuild kit, bearings, dial indicator, etc. and Sean can bring the endplay too.

Bring all the beer you think it requires and we'll help walk you through it. We'll know by then whether or not we recommend our own work.

Parts: http://www.thegearbox.org/T56_corvette.html
    Read and re-read 5-1: http://www.thirdshiftstudios.com/T56manual.pdf
    Last edited by Fbody383; 01-06-2016 at 10:45 AM.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

So Orange is shimmed and the entire crew, including smart guys, is gathering tonight to get it all put together. Not holding breath... have faith in those guys.
    Orange is shift. Seand and Paul were nice enough to put the front end back together while Scott and I tackled the T56.

We did a 'reverse' twice - first try putting the case together we let the reverse/5-6 shift rod get twisted and drop off the #156 Plate, Interlock. So fixed that and then had to chase a case thread to install the #45 and #46 Bolt, Shift Lever Guide while simultaneously lifting the reverse/5-6 shift rod to line everything up.

Plan is to get it in the car this weekend and let it run on jackstands before dyno on the 14th.

Dustin, did you order parts yet?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Dyno tuned #67

ABS Tune
    337/355
    3201 min weight

No-ABS Tune
    358/378
    3222 min weight

Original tune was WAY too advanced on timing (34-degrees total)...
    I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Orange is shift. Seand and Paul were nice enough to put the front end back together while Scott and I tackled the T56.

We did a 'reverse' twice - first try putting the case together we let the reverse/5-6 shift rod get twisted and drop off the #156 Plate, Interlock. So fixed that and then had to chase a case thread to install the #45 and #46 Bolt, Shift Lever Guide while simultaneously lifting the reverse/5-6 shift rod to line everything up.

Plan is to get it in the car this weekend and let it run on jackstands before dyno on the 14th.

Dustin, did you order parts yet?
    I did not, Corvette is still in the trailer until my flipper car sells. Kinda hard to not make money on a free car. From there I won't order parts until I tear it down which I anticipate will be much before June. I know I'm in it for 2nd gear, blocker ring, and 1-2 synchro hub. I'll likely do 3-4 syncs ad well. Gonna need wave washers, snap rings, probably do keys, definitely fork pads, plus whatever else is worn. That car has 120k on it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Finished getting the junk yard dog 013 back together, took it for a spin on the county road outside of my house, car feels good. I have never seen a sheriff on this road, well of course I passed one when I took the car out, he didn't mess with me fortunately. Dyno next week, car should be a little down on power with the compression drop of this motor, we will see.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net