Senior Member Grass-Passer

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    Uh oh.... new CMC car???
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Looks prettier than mine.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    Uh oh.... new CMC car???
    Parts car

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    Parts car
    We bought a transmission, they threw in...

APC front seats
    leather interior
    tail lights
    torque arm
    doors
    fenders
    hood
    steering column
    k-member
    front bumper cover
    rear bumper cover
    PCM
    really cool chrome wheels w/ caps
    and at least an engine core
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    We bought a transmission, they threw in...

APC front seats
    leather interior
    tail lights
    torque arm
    doors
    fenders
    hood
    steering column
    k-member
    front bumper cover
    rear bumper cover
    PCM
    really cool chrome wheels w/ caps
    and at least an engine core
    If you are looking to sell any of those parts to recoup your investment, Red Shift needs a driver and passenger door (for different cars...).

Richard P.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    Red Shift needs a driver and passenger door (for different cars...).
    Done on the doors. Let me confirm with the rest of the investment group on price. Good chance it gets stripped this weekend.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I raced in the Denton Waterworks Triathlon today. Had a GREAT time.

250m swim (using the 10 lanes in the natatorium 25m pool)
    12 mike bike
    5K run

There were approx 260 racers and I finished 56th overall with a 1:11:25.30

I was 20th in the water as they based your start from your registration "swim" time.

Swimming was easiest, but quite a few folks fibbed on how fast they could swim. Had a few traffic jams in the pool. Trying to pass in a single lane trying to go "three wide" is a challenge. I think I picked up six spots or so in the pool, while trying not to get kicked and set yourself up for a good under the ropes diagonal push-off the wall.

The ride started out in a drizzle and then cleared up before I got finished. Man, the guys/gals on the "Time Trial" or "Tri" bikes were crazy fast. Easily 3-4 mph faster than what I could muster. Overall the ride went fine until about 300 yards to the finish and my front tire started to get a flat. Rode on a flat tire for the last 150 yards. Turning was quite difficult as well as stopping. Almost over-ran the bike dismount line with the front tire locked up. On post-race inspection, I picked up a small shard of glass. There were 6-8 bikes with flats just on the portion of the folks I saw.

The run was easy, but felt slower than I would have liked. Had shin splits halfway thru the run that I just had to not think about and push thru it. By the end, I couldn't really feel them anymore.

Now that it's over, it was a blur.

I need to work on my bike the most. That is easily where I left the most time on the course.

The transition areas went as smooth as I could have expected for a first time race. I forgot my sunglasses in the car, but thankfully it was overcast and just drizzling for the ride. I did spend a bit of extra time to put on dry socks for the run. I'm glad I did. Hammered down a chug of Gatorade and a gel pack prior to the run. (For those who haven't experienced gel "food", it's the consistency of toothpaste. And this was "berry" flavor. Yumm (not), but gives you 100 calories of quick fuel to keep going.

The bike needs to go into the shop for a tuneup (was changing gears back/forth) about halfway thru the rear cassette during the ride. Probably to be expected for an 18 year old road bike.

Now time to find the next race...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    The bike needs to go into the shop for a tuneup (was changing gears back/forth) about halfway thru the rear cassette during the ride. Probably to be expected for under-maintained 18 year old road bike.
    Fixed it for you. I ride an '01 Ti bike... ok, the group says I might, might actually still own a bike. Allegedly.

If you really want to get better on the bike, find a regular group to ride with. If you want to ride fast - you have to ride fast, and it hurts to go fast.

If I had some seat time I think I can still print a 35mph sprint.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    It's been quite some time since I've posted here at all, let alone in the thread I started. For whatever reason, I decided to peruse the site today, and noticed Marshall's post to part out his car, and his movement to triathlons - congrats, Marshall.

Interesting that Marshall has gotten into Tri's.....FWIW, several of the guys here in CA that I raced with have gotten into road cycling (Nick Steel, Matt King, Ryan Walton, etc), myself included (I got back into cycling in 2011).

A few weeks ago, I convinced some friends to ride up Mt Baldy to see the stage 5 finish of the Amgen Tour of California pro-bike race, including Matt King and a co-worker from Dallas.

So, we set off at 8am for a little bike ride. It's a route I'd done previously with some friends last December....~22mi to get from Glendora to Mt Baldy village, climbing nearly the entire time, with very few respites along the way. Then, a FAST mountain descent (42+mph, on a bike) that will use your road racing skills.

It's quite amazing how many parallels there are between cycling and road racing. Every bit as challenging, daunting, and exhilarating.

And, one can spend a sizable chunk of income and time doing it, as my wife reminds me....regularly. I have just about the same money in my BMC GF01 road bike as I do my 1994 F150.
    Last edited by Adam Ginsberg; 06-10-2017 at 09:33 PM.