Since the contact between myself and Chris in R1 on Saturday, I have grown more uncomfortable with the way things were handled after the incident by the IRB. This was my first ever (and hopefully last ever) contact, so I was not very familiar with the process - but from my point of view right now, the process sucks. Where I come from there is a term for the way it was handled - it's called a Kangaroo Court. The guys turn up with a Contact report written by the other driver in the heat of the moment, look at the "forensic evidence", take a cursory glance at the small screen video evidence, and levy the penalty - immediately - without even giving me the opportunity to submit my contact report, or reviewing the video evidence in more detail as I requested.

I hear things like "you had to go for that pass - it wasn't a bone head move" - and to Chris "you may have had position at the time of impact, so maybe you had a right to be there but you probably shouldn't have" - and that "it is one of these incidents that is really hard to call". I even got told that "unofficially, you probably should have stayed on the gas so that the point of impact was in your favor" - yes seriously! (the impact point was just behind the front door but in front of the rear tire - it would have been further foward if I had not back pedalled - which was the only evasive action I could take when I am already turning right at the limits of adhesion - I had a right to be there and Chris had an obligation to give me racing room).

Despite the fact that it was obviously a borderline thing as to who was at fault or indeed if it was just a racing incident as I believe it should have been ruled, a hasty decision was made in mere minutes and without reviewing all the facts or taking the time to really look at the video evidence including the entire lap beforehand as I requested be done. I was also told that the fact that Chris got his contact report in before me inlfuenced the decision - please show me in the CCRs where it says this should be the case - that is daft and the CCRs suggests all evidence should be reviewed.

Understand that I have no problem with Chris' actions either on the track or after the incident - indeed Chris himself thought the penalty a little harsh. My point here is I really think that when acting as an IRB our directors need to be a little more careful and thoughtful when reviewing incidents and levying penalties that may well have very large consequences further down the track.

We did not take this to Clifton - as I said it was my first contact, and I was not all that familiar with the procedures and by the time I read the CCRs and saw the video on the big screen it was too late - but in hindsight we should have.

It may be too late for us to reverse this decision, and I don't have any sour grapes against our series directors (on the contrary, overall I think the guys do an awesome job) - take it as a suggestion not a criticism - but hopefully by bringing this up it may help another competitor facing a similar situation in future.