Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Everyone's back home from Round 1

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Love AI27
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra132
    Pushed car in trailer and went home. Got drunk. On Sunday pulled pan, intake and valve covers. Found a stuck valve lash adjusted, everything else looks perfect. Happy again. :lol: I'll be back. FMR
    now, the drinking thing, you might want to go to a meeting... LOL
    Where are we meeting for a drink? I'm in! :lol:
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty
    Quote Originally Posted by David Love AI27
    Pushed car in trailer and went home. Got drunk. On Sunday pulled pan, intake and valve covers. Found a stuck valve lash adjusted, everything else looks perfect. Happy again. :lol: I'll be back. FMR
    now, the drinking thing, you might want to go to a meeting... LOL
    Where are we meeting for a drink? I'm in! :lol:
    It is supposed to be Anonymous, NOT Obvious... as in AA not AO... OK lets get back on the topic... I will start the 12 step thread in another posting..

[/quote]

Damn Glad to hear Frank! I heard about the troubles and kept my fingers crossed. Check the cam lobe for cracking just in case and if you need a lash adjuster, I think I have a few at the house I could mail you. I will check tonight. Might be a good idea to replace the follower too.

So todd, does that classify as a write up?!

Glad to hear you guys had fun...just wish I could have been there to make it a little harder for Mason/Daron. Cresson won't be so easy! :twisted:
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i had a really good weekend, but i'm sure it was hard to tell Sunday.

our group has once again has shown why we are the best group in NASA TX. no issues w/ blown flags (like red flags w/ group 7!), no major contact that required anything more than paperwork and a handshake. we, as always, put on a bad ass show w/ the wet standing starts, nice tight racing and in paddok group unity that is second to none.

i had an average weekend, and i'm good w/ it. turns out i had food poisoning from lunch Sunday. that became readily evident on the side of HWY 287 in Midolothian where my stomach refunded thte lunch, breakfast and other mixed items. lucky for me my ass was polite enought to wait till i got home to do the same - as in park the truck and run in the house. feeling like total shit and stopping to puke 4 times, i still made a 5 hour trip in 4.5 hours. looks like a saved my best drive of the weekend for the trip home.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Good news Frank...

Mixed bag for me as usual.

Q1 for first race... and faster than CMC field...barely.
    R1...Awesome start......for Al .....but luckily he locked up his brakes and I was able to sneak past him...but he hounded the crap of me the whole race, but I was able to hold him off for a win.

R2... Inverted and had an awesome race with Mitch...he skated wide in carousel and let me have the inside.... twice... first time he showed me his manhood and I got scared and backed out. The next time he did it I was able to pass and got up to third. Good run for Jerry who finished 2nd and Al who won.

Q2 for second day. The wet surface made me too cautious and slower than some of the CMC guys.

R3.. Decent start, but got bunched up in turn 1. I made an evasive maneuver and smacked door to door with Mitch. MY FAULT. I did have to continue to race him and he slipped in carousel and I was able to get by and then chase down Al. Awesome racing with Al...we had numerous times of side by side action. I was finally able to get under him in carousel and entering diamonds edge under braking Al tapped me in the left quarter and spun me. No major damage, just a dent and I was able to continue. Al being the gentleman racer, gave me the position back and we continued our battle to the end.

R4.. After two contact forms filled out from R3, I was a little cautious about racing, but still had a great race with Mitch and finished second. I flat spotted the left front severly was never a factor in catching Al.

Congrats to the Rookies for a great first weekend for many of you.
    Sorry for the pain of Mavel/Pederson... I expect we will see each other on the track real soon.

Great to see Eric back and Todd's Ranchero.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wirtz's Avatar
    I was really impressed with all the new cars and rebuilt old ones What a turn out. For the #19 it was a great weekend.

Q1 and Q2: Both seesions I was able to find clear track and was able to get pole.

R1: I got a so-so start, looked like Glenn got a good one beating me through T1 and T2. Had fun working our way up through some of the CMC2 cars. As we discussed at the meeting, Glenn checked up at one point thinking Mitch was waving him off. I had seen the flag stand and knew it was clear, so I pounced both of them. Always nice of the LAW boys to formation fly to make it easy for me

R2: I can't even remember it all clearly, as so much happens in that first 1 or 2 laps. I think I remember making a pass on Eric V on the outside of 1. Then it was chasing JB to the flag. We both we slipping and sliding at the end but JB was too strong and held me off.

R3: The goofy start race; I also made a mistake after the flag went up, then back down and rolled forward. I tried to get back into place but was scared about being caught out of 1st gear when they did throw the flag. Even so, Michael beat me into T1. Very cool stuff with ALL the cars around slipping and sliding on a so-so track. I remember Dave L getting 90 degrees sideways under braking into T16, but driving out of it, nice save! Then Michael hit the pud muddle on the outside of T17 and I was able to sneak through.

R4: Another great race with everyone showing great skills and class on the track. Near the end I was chasing down Rob and was able to catch up. Same time Glenn was catching both of us. I made an inside move at the Bus Stop and scared Rob off course. He rejoined in front of me again, but Glenn fell back. The I just kept working on Rob. We went side by side through the Bus Stop and into the Keyhole before I was able to sneak in front. Then last lap, I messed up my entry into T1 and was slow through T2. Going into the Diamonds Edge I was worried Rob had a good run on me, so I looked in the mirror too long and blew my braking point and spun out of first. Lucky for me I was able to jump out before JB and able to salvage a second.

Anyway, that's the best I can remember it all. Like any good story, it will only get better from now on Thanks to the whole group for a fun weekend.

Jeff

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Woo Hoo!

Man, you guys are the best. That's the most fun I have had in a car in a while.

I had to "pay up" to run Friday since the #39 had never been out of first gear. In fact, it had failed to get on and off the trailer under its own power 25% of the time prior to Friday.

First session Friday, I get buckled in and on track, getting a couple warm up laps before finding I had some rear brake bias issues. Car ran well and Friday was uneventful and could best be described as take out rear brake, take out rear brake, take out more rear brake...

Saturday, being a "racecraft" student, I ran with the 3/4 group. Funny me, I thought you had to be able to drive the track in the 3/4 group. After getting closer to the business end of a couple different 911 TURBO cars than I had planned on, it was time to rethink spacing.

((Personal note: I bet Mitch a steak dinner at the place of his choice that if I was driving a 911 Turbo, he would not be able to catch me in his CMC2 car. Somebody please loan me one so Mitch can get a free dinner.))

Saturday afternoon went well running at the back of the AI/CMC group until the infamous words, "report to tech." No worries, right? Wrong.

In what will always be remembered, I inadvertantly put Al in a tight spot by not having the required safety equipment. Perhaps he should have taken a stronger stance to make the point to the group that safey is non-negotiable. He would have been well inside his authority, and the rules, to exclude me from any further racing sessions, at a minimum. My biggest concern was that the AI/CMC group leadership take a hit for having a moron in their midst. Al, thank you, case closed.

Now I don't know what happened at the sharp end of the group, but it was busy in the back. Me, Jeremy, Jeremiah, Gary, Chuck, Chuck2. Whoop Whoop! I don't have full perspective, but I believe it would be hard to have closer racing among the Orange Plate Gang. You guys rock! I know Al signed off on at least 3 provisionals and that some of the R cars qualified better than their rookie starting position so the next couple of events should be exciting.

So, who's got video? Steve?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Tremendous weekend on many fronts!

Frank, glad to hear it wasnt a major issue with your motor. Sorry you missed out on the racing. Chris and Richard...you guys are redefining bad luck re engines. Hopefully fourth time is the charm. :? If its any consolation, the lap times you guys posted were pretty tremendous given the lack of time in the car.

We had four rookies complete their provisional license requirements: Dave F, Jeremiah K, Jeremy G, Chuck S. Congrats guys for the clean racing and the close lap times. ROTY is going to be tough to get! Ross, Gary...glad you guys came out and look forward to adding you to the fray.

Rob picking up a win and Mosty either on the podium or on the grass...the Foxes in CMC are kicking ass! In CMC2 the Jerry/Jay #17 has LEGS! I passed you, but you were pulling me on every single straight! I love it!

James IS the man in CMC2. Fastest lap, wins in both straight up races...he's the horse to bet on for the whole enchilada.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70

i had an average weekend, and i'm good w/ it. turns out i had food poisoning from lunch Sunday. that became readily evident on the side of HWY 287 in Midolothian where my stomach refunded thte lunch, breakfast and other mixed items. lucky for me my ass was polite enought to wait till i got home to do the same - as in park the truck and run in the house. feeling like total shit and stopping to puke 4 times, i still made a 5 hour trip in 4.5 hours. looks like a saved my best drive of the weekend for the trip home.

Interesting. I got it Saturday at lunch, and I have not been able to eat solid food since then. I hope you are feeling better. I seem to be coming back slowly.
    Chris Marvel

RP's Guinea Pig
    AI #91
    CMC2 #82
    Anything else you hand me the keys to...

Quote Originally Posted by Wirtz
    I remember Dave L getting 90 degrees sideways under braking into T16, but driving out of it, nice save!

LOL... which time??? looking into new paint scheme for the sides of the car... i'm sure you guys are getting tired of looking at plain black doors all the time... Jason and I discussed removing the orange "R" on the doors, I told him it didn't matter you guys pass me so fast you can't see them... I stand corrected, "R"s coming off this week...